TM30: “It’s really not that hard”, immigration official tells foreigners

webfact

6 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

Complete rubbish.

People on a tourist visa have never needed to get TM30 to make an extension.

Tourist visa is exempt.

Some good points been made here but people who dont know what they talking about should not make such comments as it doesnt help the argument.

Unfortunately that's not entirely true. There were reports of offices requesting a TM30 for a 30 day tourist visa extension, but that's enforced arbitrarily it seems, like many other things.

Nevertheless, the duration of stay of a real tourist would very unlikely exceed 60 days in most cases.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, webfact said:

Complying with the controversial TM30 requirement is “really not that hard”, a senior immigration officer said on Thursday.

This is based off what? Real experiences or wishful thinking? 

Some of the delays were put down not to technical problems, but because those people who had registered for the service had not submitted the correct documentation.

Right, but on the website you inform users that their information is being processed. You state this will take seven working days. So, why does mine still say “waiting for approval” after three weeks? If I submitted the wrong documents (I submitted the ones you asked for) you should have checked within the seven days you stated and changed my status to “failed - incomplete or wrong documentation”.

If you have a full-time job and a life, if you like to travel around Thailand and spend money in hotels, etc, the one thing they seem to want people to do. If you have applied for a username and password and your status hasn’t changed, how on earth is any of this really not that hard?

3 minutes ago, lkv said:

Unfortunately that's not entirely true. There were reports of offices requesting a TM30 for a 30 day tourist visa extension, but that's enforced arbitrarily it seems.

Nevertheless, the average duration of a real tourist would very unlikely exceed 60 days in most cases.

I can only quoted from an official statement from immigration

"Tourist visa is exempt"

Myself, proof because this year already i  make extensions and not been asked for this TM30.

Because what you have read from someone here doesnt make it fact.

Is actually quite common of social media

and especially on Thaivisa..

guys with nothing better to do all day than make a  troll comment for attention and to stir some Sหit!

7 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

This is based off what? Real experiences or wishful thinking? 

Right, but on the website you inform users that their information is being processed. You state this will take seven working days. So, why does mine still say “waiting for approval” after three weeks? If I submitted the wrong documents (I submitted the ones you asked for) you should have checked within the seven days you stated and changed my status to “failed - incomplete or wrong documentation”.

If you have a full-time job and a life, if you like to travel around Thailand and spend money in hotels, etc, the one thing they seem to want people to do. If you have applied for a username and password and your status hasn’t changed, how on earth is any of this really not that hard?

My time is far too valuable to be constantly wasted on dashing from office to office in order to complete paperwork which is at best, pointless. And my time isn't really that valuable at all...

41 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Tell that to the head of  immigration!

They are masters of twisting and deceiving without my input ????

I mean I don't know what else people were expecting. We already know the rhetoric.

A. So easy / not complicated to do.

B. Matter of national security.

They can have tens of meetings, they will keep repeating the above.

Until people actually believe it really has to do with national security.

It's a logical fallacy called "argument by repetition", "argumentum ad nauseam"

- Repeating an argument or a premise over and over again in place of better supporting evidence.

1 minute ago, lkv said:

They are masters of twisting and deceiving without my input ????

I mean I don't know what else people were expecting. We already know the rhetoric.

A. So easy / not complicated to do.

B. Matter of national security.

They can have tens of meetings, they will be singing the same tune.

The  best one you  get when you question anything here is usually "its the rule" .....yeah but  why, just goes straight over their  heads

The uk and much of europe have far more problems with national security than Thailand will ever have,but you can move around wherever you want on your visa without the need to report your wherabouts every time you visit a friend 100mtrs away in the next province for more than 24hrs, IM LOST FOR WORDS,SCRAP THE TM30 COMPLETELY ITS NOT NEEDED.

Could be that the guy that make this

"Its not that hard" comment

doesnt realise about what people on O-visa and other extensions are having to do.

-especially the guy that must drive 2 hours to go to an office after a few days away.

-also, what happen if a guy goes on 3-4 days holiday and stay in some seperate hotels??

I guess if they seriously chase people about this, then the 24 error in reporting is triggered after the first day away?

These are the sorts of thing they should have presented to the immigrations when in a meeting to let them know why people are so mad about this. 

59 minutes ago, Thechook said:

May not be that hard for them but it treats tourists like criminals and less human than thais.  Tourists dont wanr to spend hours reporting to immigration eveytime they go to an attraction,  they want to enjoy their 10 day holiday.  Can immagine the calls of racism if a country like Australia treated visitors like this.

What tourists on a 10 day holiday spend any time interacting with immigration other than at the airport/border crossing?

Its interesting that we have all now gotten used to the idea of the TM30 and our major concern, it seems from reading, is the methodology of its fulfillment and operational difficulties over its fulfillment.

Have we stopped regarding it as an attack on our freedom of movement, a mass control method of an authoritarian regime, and an unnecessary intrusion into our private lives? 

I came here to retire and live out my time in a relaxed and enjoyable manner, I did not come here to be treated as a criminal.

33 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

Complete rubbish.

People on a tourist visa have never needed to get TM30 to make an extension.

Tourist visa is exempt.

Some good points been made here but people who dont know what they talking about should not make such comments as it doesnt help the argument.

Jomtien immigration requires a TM30 to do a tourist extension. 90% of the people at the TM30 counter are tourists extending with no TM30

Just now, Peterw42 said:

Jomtien immigration requires a TM30 to do a tourist extension. 90% of the people at the TM30 counter are tourists extending with no TM30

I misread that then as 

90% of the people at the TM30 counter are TERRORISTS extending with no TM30????

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

What tourists on a 10 day holiday spend any time interacting with immigration other than at the airport/border crossing?

In fairness, his post should be deleted.

A 10day tourist never have to do a TM30.

Actually none even extending a tourist visa for 30 days has to do it.

Tourist visa is exempt.

Its only the other longer class, and of non O visa and extensions of stay that must do.

1 minute ago, tingtongtourist said:

In fairness, his post should be deleted.

A 10day tourist never have to do a TM30.

Actually none even extending a tourist visa for 30 days has to do it.

Tourist visa is exempt.

Its only the other longer class, and of non O visa and extensions of stay that must do.

Tourist visa is NOT exempt from doing a TM30, where do you get this from.

Go to Jomtien immigration, its all tourists doing TM30s, Jomtiem dont ask long stay for a TM30, only tourists/visa exempt

“After hearing the comments from the Immigration officials, my own view is that I don’t think TM30 will go away any time soon.”

DUH!!!  Like I said, the second coming of christ will happen first.  This is the way it is in Thailand, accept it or move on, but they will NOT change. - ever!  

Should the hospital admin require to the report to the Immigration when the foreigners are there? My wife will be admitted to the hospital for brain surgery and she require to stay 7 - 8 days there. As a husband, I require stay there for 7 - 8 days too to watch over her.  

As stated that, the property owner require to report TM.30 if any foreigner staying in their home, otherwise the foreigner do it for property owner with the require documents. But then, I can't leave my wife behind, and waste half-day in the Immigration Office. Secondly, the hospital admin will not give their tabian baan, directors ID and etc. Thirdly, the hospital admin will not do it for you because they need to save patients.

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

That doesnt make sense.

If they got asked for TM30 it would mean that not 1 of the accomodations they stayed at ever registered them.

and it is the responsibility of the hostel/residence owner when the case of a short term tourist.

No offence, but how do you know the people waiting in the TM30 line were on tourist visa?

There are a lot of long term/extension of stay people in Jomtien.

1 minute ago, macgver said:

Should the hospital admin require to the report to the Immigration when the foreigners are there? My wife will be admitted to the hospital for brain surgery and she require to stay 7 - 8 days there. As a husband, I require stay there for 7 - 8 days too to watch over her.  

As stated that, the property owner require to report TM.30 if any foreigner staying in their home, otherwise the foreigner do it for property owner with the require documents. But then, I can't leave my wife behind, and waste half-day in the Immigration Office. Secondly, the hospital admin will not give their tabian baan, directors ID and etc. Thirdly, the hospital admin will not do it for you because they need to save patients.

You will find, most hospitials do TM30s, if they dont why worry about it. 

4 minutes ago, mike787 said:

DUH!!!  Like I said, the second coming of christ will happen first.  This is the way it is in Thailand, accept it or move on, but they will NOT change. - ever!  

They  will and do often when the shit  hits  the fan on numerous  other  things U  turns  abound

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You will find, most hospitials do TM30s, if they dont why worry about it. 

I am not the patient, the hospital admin will not do TM.30 at all. Unless I am a patient. Secondly, it is the government hospital, the hospital admin will not report it. My wife cousin-in-law is the head of department, she said that we don't do the report and they said there is no order from the top. 

Just wait till they bring in the law where locals have to report a foreigner is to stay in their house ahead of time and the local government approves or disapproves. From what I hear, this is exactly what the Chinese do in Tibet. The more I see of Thailand the more it becomes like their comrades in China and North Korea. 

Archived