TM30: “It’s really not that hard”, immigration official tells foreigners

webfact

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

TM 30 has been a factor for many, many years, so why all the bitching now? Most on here have had to ensure it was done if they had their own home/ condo or lived in a Thai family home.

Just because it wasn't enforced, doesn't mean it wasn't significant.

Are people saying the Thais should not enforce long standing laws/ regulations if they choose to do so?

From the amount of complaints about it, seems that many farangs thing the Thais should treat them as VIPS:-)

Ok so tell me when and when it  isnt ok or significant

1 wearing helmets

2  driving on pavements

3  driving the wrong way on a road

and a whole  raft of things "not enforced"

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

TM 30 has been a factor for many, many years, so why all the bitching now? Most on here have had to ensure it was done if they had their own home/ condo or lived in a Thai family home.

Just because it wasn't enforced, doesn't mean it wasn't significant.

Are people saying the Thais should not enforce long standing laws/ regulations if they choose to do so?

From the amount of complaints about it, seems that many farangs thing the Thais should treat them as VIPS:-)

Factor: a fact or situation that influences the result of something

Funny - as of earlier this year, I'd never heard of the TM30. I'd never been asked for one, and I'd never been asked what one was. I've done countless extensions and 10's of 90 day reports. Never once was this TM30 mentioned. 

I actually had a flight back into Thailand the day after it was officially announced that a TM30 will now be required. No notices or information was given to me by immigration at the airport. I went to get my extension stamp done in November 2018; no one said a word. I did my re-entry permit in December of 2019; again, not a word.

But if you say this has been a factor for "many, many years", I must be the only one who's not been told, right? 

6 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Unfortunately there are some people (I can only assume they're retirees living in the sticks) who seem to think this whole process isn't that hard because they have nothing better to do. Reminds me of my granddad after he retired and got bored out of his brains. He'd go around annoyingly looking for something to do. This TM30 is seemingly giving some bored people a sense of purpose. 

maybe, but i cant imagine anyone who have to drive both ways for 2+ hours would think its much fun.

and if they themself dont drive, would be a bigger P in the A.

1 minute ago, gunderhill said:

Ok so tell me when and when it  isnt ok or significant

1 wearing helmets

2  driving on pavements

3  driving the wrong way on a road

and a whole  raft of things "not enforced"

Immigration does not tell the police what to do re those situations, so not relevant.

3 minutes ago, miamiman123 said:

It’s their country, it’s their laws, if you don’t like it stay home or move to another place..,.you aren’t gonna change their rules. Waste of time for ole Issan farang’s with nothing else to talk about! 

What's the betting you yourself have broken a law at some point during your stay...?

Who would prefer having to pay to an immigration account about 200 Baht at the nearest bank or 7/11 every 90 days instead of having to report and fill in the relevant forms?

A confirmation email with the bank deposit details and your current address should be an adequate TM30 replacement.

If a top immigration officer proposed this idea we should all congratulate his brilliant thinking ????

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agreed. The guys that started it do not understand the culture in which they live, likewise those that joined it.

The moment you see a Thai gov panel on a stage, in a room with a lot of farangs sitting in front of them ... that's the moment when you know this is never going to end well.

It only leaves the Farangs with disbelieve in their eyes, shaking heads and leaving back home grumpy.

Been there, done that ... never again ????

Better go to the beach ... 

11 minutes ago, Crusader said:

Did my TM30 a couple of weeks ago in Bangkok...could not have been simpler.  Apart from the long queue to get an entry number, it only took a few minutes.  Got number 97 to go in when they opened, then got number 15 for the TM30 counter - and I was out of there by 08:45.

as a new member with a first  post I  believe you

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Funny - as of earlier this year, I'd never heard of the TM30. I'd never been asked for one, and I'd never been asked what one was. I've done countless extensions and 10's of 90 day reports. Never once was this TM30 mentioned. 

I actually had a flight back into Thailand the day after it was officially announced that a TM30 will now be required. No notices or information was given to me by immigration at the airport. I went to get my extension stamp done in November 2018; no one said a word. I did my re-entry permit in December of 2019; again, not a word.

But if you say this has been a factor for "many, many years", I must be the only one who's not been told, right? 

Ignorance of the law is never an excuse. It is the responsibility of a farang to aquaint themselves with the regulations of a country in which they CHOOSE to live.

I've known about TM 30 for as long as I can remember, so it wasn't a secret.

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

It comes down to the local office for the enforcement. I was required to do a TM30 6 years ago when I moved into GFs house. You will find its always been part of the documentation, one of those documents you sign when doing things at immigration. They just filled it in on the fly and put it in the file. it existed, we were just unaware until they started fining.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ignorance of the law is never an excuse. It is the responsibility of a farang to aquaint themselves with the regulations of a country in which they CHOOSE to live.

I've known about TM 30 for as long as I can remember, so it wasn't a secret.

better  tell all the Thai landlords  about it who havent a clue  either or  local police  stations...ignorance in Thailand is  the norm

"it's really not that hard."

Bravo, well done, take a bow, congratulations,

On winning the award for most Thai response in the history of Thai responses. 

Nice to see "National Security" mentioned again here,

Now we all know exactly what we are dealing with!

Pathetic.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

n response to complaints about TM30 from those in attendance at the event, Pol Col. Thatchapong Sarawannangkul said that filing a TM30 was “really not that hard”.

This is possibly because he does not have to comply with this requirement if he did I'm sure his response would be completely different.

5 minutes ago, madmitch said:

What Immigration at Jomtien, Phuket and other major tourist areas should be doing in these cases is paying a visit to the hotels, guesthouses and Airbnbs where these unregistered guests are staying and fining them for not reporting.

Tourists staying in hotels that abide by the law and report guests should not have a problem.

It does sound a bit ridiculous that a tourist is breaking a law to have the nerve to go to Thailand and stay in a hotel.

I suspect many tourist who make a first extension at Jomtien and get treated like this will never come back since not many countries would do this.

So...you first must write your details and address on the arrival card at the airport THEN..

when arrive at accomodation, must race to immigration within 24 hours to report where i stay?

ridiculous!

Just now, gunderhill said:

better  tell all the Thai landlords  about it who havent a clue  either or  local police  stations...ignorance in Thailand is  the norm

I know that. The police at the village didn't know what a TM 30 was, so they wrote my details in the big book.

Unfortunately for farangs, it's become their responsibility to ensure it is done if they want to extend their stay. All the bitchin' in the world isn't going to change that.

If you don't want to stay in LOS, don't do it and just leave when current extension ends.

Archived