TM30: “It’s really not that hard”, immigration official tells foreigners

webfact

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I know that. The police at the village didn't know what a TM 30 was, so they wrote my details in the big book.

Unfortunately for farangs, it's become their responsibility to ensure it is done if they want to extend their stay. All the bitchin' in the world isn't going to change that.

If you don't want to stay in LOS, don't do it and just leave when current extension ends.

I dont even do a TM30............oh  golly now what?

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:
2 hours ago, balo said:

More nonsense from officials who are controlled by a military dictatorship. 

So why did the Thai hero of democracy didn't scrap TM30?

There are so many laws which don't get scrapped here, just not applied until one day in the future it might be useful. IIRC aren't the laws requiring the filling in of TM28 and TM30 about forty year-old laws?

I remember nearly thirty years ago, any foreigner who stayed in Thailand over 90 days needed permission to leave the country. That involved a visit to the MFA and took hours for someone to type the form.

I wonder if that law was revoked, or has just been 'ignored'?

19 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You are missing the point, in "theory" every place the bad guy stays will do a TM30. Even if Thailands most wanted disappears off the radar, he pops back up every-time he stays somewhere.

If, and perhaps it is a very big if, anyone is looking at the radar screen, and notices.

I agree that if these various forms and reports were all transcribed to a computer programme which cross referenced them and identified such people, then you would get such a radar picture. That in turn, is only going to work if all those hundreds of thousands of forms produced every week are meticulously entered into the system. Call me sceptical but...

It's a bit like using Microsoft Money to keep track of your finances, it only works if you are disciplined enough to enter every time you go shopping, or give your daughter her pocket money!

1 minute ago, michelsavage said:

Impossible to justify TM30 and 90-day reporting. Has nothing, nothing at all to do with national security. It`s been put in place by some senior officer, and kept in place due to the loss-face thing. One guy there at the top thinks this shit is rational, so all his croonies agree. That's why Thailand will not evolve. They don't take criticism in any form whatsoever.

I disagree  its a  "control"  thing nothing more.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Some of the delays were put down not to technical problems, but because those people who had registered for the service had not submitted the correct documentation.

3 or 4 of the delays were put down not to technical problems,but because those people submitted incorrect or incomplete documentation the rest (millions) of the delays were put down to technical problems!

45 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

I applied as a condo owner on June 20th. Still my status is "Waiting Approval". I read on here that if the documents submitted were wrong (I submitted copies of passport, blue book and chanote) then the office (Chaeng Wattana in my case) will not inform me that the application is not going through. But how am I supposed to know for sure? I could go to immigration but I work Mon-Fri and it's not easy getting a day off. 

Any ideas what I should do? Thanks.

I think they expect a Thai ID card with a copy of the blue book. My wife made her registration Monday afternoon, some details came up prefilled from data they must have recorded when we made and initial TM30 two years ago after returning from Bali. She got all confirmed with UID/PWD Tuesday morning. She change the password too, without a glitch.

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

3 or 4 of the delays were put down not to technical problems,but because those people submitted incorrect or incomplete documentation the rest (millions) of the delays were put down to technical problems!

Another one not qouted  was they simply  had  so  many requests  for passwords  they just stopped  doing it.......Chaeng watt admitted  to my Wife when she was there.

4 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Immigration will look you in the face and lie how the TM 30 keep us safe.  They are only saying this crap because they boss wants to keep it and no other reason.   The good guys do the form the bad ones don't.    You also give us a piece of crap website to us and try to convince us it works and we are doing it wrong not them.  Just hope other countries will do the same thing to the Thai people as they do to us.

I would tend to agree. It is not so difficult to pass a law making it easier and exempt for long term visa holders from certain countries that never ever presented any dangers to Thailand to bypass that tm30 rule. This is the shortest leash I have ever been on in any country. Their reasoning for the tm30 is understandable for other Asians who actually don't care or worry about where they live. But for the most part Thailand idea that foreigners who are not Asian cause a clear and present danger to Thailand is ridiculous to say the least. 

But, being that many of us have families here and/or work, we must comply no matter if it wasn't made  for us. Whatever hardships or complications arise in complying are irrelevant in Thailands eyes. Personal experience showed me their app is hardly easy to initiate even for a Thai with masters degrees. Using a computer at their website was a little easier to understand. Going to the immigration office to do it personally was both inconvenient and time consuming even at a relatively small IO. 

Let's all hope the future will be easier and less punishment being treated like criminals on a short leash even though we try our best to be good examples for Thailand and have families with kids here and have always complied with all Thai laws both with immigration and with the police. This is my home but some of the hoops they make us jump through to stay makes me feel unwanted here except by my Thai family and circle of friends. 

2 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

It does sound a bit ridiculous that a tourist is breaking a law to have the nerve to go to Thailand and stay in a hotel.

I suspect many tourist who make a first extension at Jomtien and get treated like this will never come back since not many countries would do this.

So...you first must write your details and address on the arrival card at the airport THEN..

when arrive at accomodation, must race to immigration within 24 hours to report where i stay?

ridiculous!

Sorry but you are wrong. A TOURIST is not responsible for doing a TM 30, a TOURIST is NOT breaking the law by not doing one.

TM 30 is and always has been the responsibility of the dwelling owner. Where expats are involved is when they live in their own or the family dwelling. If an expat lives in an hotel, they are not required to do TM 30 as that is the responsibility of the hotel.

1 minute ago, reargunnerph3 said:

Do they really think that terrorists and criminals are going to do their TM30's? Third world thinking.

No they don't think this and they know we know they don't think this.They get so annoyed with there job they want to share the annoyance with others nothing more in it than that. 

1 minute ago, KiChakayan said:

I think they expect a Thai ID card with a copy of the blue book. My wife made her registration Monday afternoon, some details came up prefilled from data they must have recorded when we made and initial TM30 two years ago after returning from Bali. She got all confirmed with UID/PWD Tuesday morning. She change the password too, without a glitch.

Thanks. As my name is not in the blue book (and I don't have a yellow one, although perhaps I should have) I included the Chanote (title deed) which has my name on it. I thought that would suffice as it proves ownership.

34 minutes ago, p414 said:

Except in England where they have more rights as they will eventually have enough votes to decide who governs the country ...if they do not already have enough.

Sure, all the better then. That Thailand do not want to engage in a system like that. 

6 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

It does sound a bit ridiculous that a tourist is breaking a law to have the nerve to go to Thailand and stay in a hotel.

I suspect many tourist who make a first extension at Jomtien and get treated like this will never come back since not many countries would do this.

So...you first must write your details and address on the arrival card at the airport THEN..

when arrive at accomodation, must race to immigration within 24 hours to report where i stay?

ridiculous!

No! The tourist isn't breaking the law, the accommodation provider is! Tourists don't have to report, however if they go for an extension that's when the IO will check they're registered.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

TM 30 is and always has been the responsibility of the dwelling owner.

Nope  wrong, or  possessor etc etc it can ALL be twisted and is at the officers  discretion doesnt matter what the LAW  says when your sat in front of them.

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Exactly like it should be then. Usually the way in most countries where foreigners settle down. They do not have the capacity to change the law and administrative factors.

Where I come from Thai folk do not have to report anywhere if they have a visa and can travel anywhere without fear of a tap on the shoulder, it is a free country.

In this country planting a seed of common sense "may" tweak a few gray cells, but as I thought in the beginning it would be doubtful finding those gray cells..

2 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

Complete rubbish.

People on a tourist visa have never needed to get TM30 to make an extension.

Tourist visa is exempt.

Some good points been made here but people who dont know what they talking about should not make such comments as it doesnt help the argument.

Say what? Try getting an extension on a sixty day tourist visa at Jomtien without a TM30. Instant fine

6 minutes ago, reargunnerph3 said:

Do they really think that terrorists and criminals are going to do their TM30's? Third world thinking.

I don't think this has anything to do with terror or criminals, it's just exercising power over farangs which makes them feel good/important!

Just now, gunderhill said:

oh  nooooooooooo thats gonna  depend  solely on the IO  officers  discretion and theres  your  first major  problem

LOL. ANYONE that goes to immigration depending on an immigration officer not enforcing their own regulations is asking to be disappointed.

To get an extension I had to obtain a bank book entry on the day of application for extension which is a nonsense. I did it though, as pointing that out to the officer would have been detrimental to my approval.

There are not a few things nonsensical about all bureaucracies all over the world, but all the moaning and bitchin' ain't gonna change it an iota.

5 minutes ago, reargunnerph3 said:

No, but in theory anywhere the criminal stays will do a tm30. It gets hard to stay off the radar if every accommodation place reports you.

People dont do TM30s, properties (or the people in charge of them) do TM30s, reporting an alien just stayed here.

Think of it like telling the GF you are going to the gym but she has arranged all the local bars to report you turning up.

6 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

I included the Chanote (title deed) which has my name on it. I thought that would suffice as it proves ownership.

@Wiggy May I kindly ask how did you manage as a foreigner to have your name added to a Chanote? Thanks.

It should be 'not that hard' for clarity and constancy for all the other immigration requirements. Why is it so hard for them to have every immigration office enforcing the same rules in the same manner, or even the officer in the same office doing so? Why do some offices not bother with TM30's, why do some not do postal 90 day reports, why do some offices want 5 pp pages copied just to do  90 day report never mind all the unforeseen obstacles they can throw your way fishing for a bribe or just if in a bad mood. In the past they have wanted every page in my pp copied to do an extension, even the blanks. When I presented the same the next year to a different officer I was accused of wasting their time!

4 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Immigration will look you in the face and lie how the TM 30 keep us safe.  They are only saying this crap because they boss wants to keep it and no other reason.   The good guys do the form the bad ones don't.    You also give us a piece of crap website to us and try to convince us it works and we are doing it wrong not them.  Just hope other countries will do the same thing to the Thai people as they do to us.

????The website????

Archived