TM30: “It’s really not that hard”, immigration official tells foreigners

webfact

TM30: “It’s really not that hard”, immigration official tells foreigners 

img.jpg

Pol Col. Thatchapong Sarawannangkul from the Immigration Bureau (holding microphone) at Foreign Correspondents Club on Thursday

Complying with the controversial TM30 requirement is “really not that hard”, a senior immigration officer said on Thursday.

The comment was made at the Foreign Correspondents Club in Bangkok which hosted a panel discussion about the TM30 form and other issues surrounding immigration laws in Thailand. 

The panel included Sebastian Brousseau from Isaan Lawyers who has been involved in the recent online petition calling for TM30 to be abolished. 

Also on the panel was Thailand based blogger Richard Barrow who made an excellent presentation which called for clarity and consistency when it comes to the enforcement of TM30 at immigration offices throughout Thailand. 

In response to complaints about TM30 from those in attendance at the event, Pol Col. Thatchapong Sarawannangkul said that filing a TM30 was “really not that hard”.

His comment was met with an audible gasp of disbelief from one section of the room. 

Pol Col. Thatchapong went on to say that immigration is trying to make it easier for people and urged them to make use of the TM30 website and mobile app.

This was despite complaints that people who had registered for the online services were having to wait up to six weeks for a username and password. 

Some of the delays were put down not to technical problems, but because those people who had registered for the service had not submitted the correct documentation.

The reasoning behind TM30 was once again put down to national security and was needed in order to fight terrorism and other crime.

Pol Col. Thatchapong stressed that the Immigration Bureau in Thailand is here to help people and that TM30 helps keep people in Thailand safe - including foreigners. 

Aside from all the complaints, there were also plenty of suggestions on how to make TM30 more effective and less inconvenient.

Chris Larkin, director of the Australian Chamber of Commerce, who was also on the panel, suggested that immigration should make the pink ID card more accessible to foreigners and that it could potentially be used as a replacement for TM30, TM28 and TM47 (90 day reporting).

Also in attendance was Maj. Gen. Patipat Suban Na Ayudhya, Head of Immigration Division 1, who after hearing all the complaints regarding TM30 said the feedback from the event would be passed onto his superiors at Immigration HQ.

Jonathan Fairfield who was at the event for Thaivisa said:

“It was good that senior immigration officials were able to attend the event and address the concerns of foreigners regarding TM30.

“However, as is often the way with immigration matters in Thailand, I think many people will have left the event with more questions than they got answers regarding TM30.

“After hearing the comments from the Immigration officials, my own view is that I don’t think TM30 will go away any time soon.”

Links to the TM30 website and mobile apps can be found below:

TM30 website: https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

Section 38 iOS: https://apps.apple.com/th/app/section38/id1451853492?l=th

Section 38 Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.go.immigration.section38&hl=en_US

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-16

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, webfact said:

“After hearing the comments from the Immigration officials, my own view is that I don’t think TM30 will go away any time soon.”

Correct Johnathon.

I think most sensible people realised this as soon as a suggestion of a petition was mooted.

Unfortunately, we foreigners, farangs, aliens, call us what you like, are never going to make any Thai officials change any rules or regulations they have brought in. 

23 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Correct Johnathon.

I think most sensible people realised this as soon as a suggestion of a petition was mooted.

Unfortunately, we foreigners, farangs, aliens, call us what you like, are never going to make any Thai officials change any rules or regulations they have brought in. 

Exactly like it should be then. Usually the way in most countries where foreigners settle down. They do not have the capacity to change the law and administrative factors.

Immigration will look you in the face and lie how the TM 30 keep us safe.  They are only saying this crap because they boss wants to keep it and no other reason.   The good guys do the form the bad ones don't.    You also give us a piece of crap website to us and try to convince us it works and we are doing it wrong not them.  Just hope other countries will do the same thing to the Thai people as they do to us.

1 hour ago, tgw said:

hey, if TM30 is not that hard, then why don't they extend it to Thais ?

They have.They have to report foreigners.

But it is not that difficult as the officer said. It is just the inconsistency from province to province. But that applies to everything immigration consistent inconsistency.

total  bunch of THAI BS this is  about MAKING  MONEY when officers  at Chaeng wattana want 1500 for a  password quickly  or a  fine of  800 for no receipt 1600  with receipt, anyone bring that up? would be brushed  aside with "show  us the evidence"  like an  officer is  going to write  it down or be recorded  saying it etc.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

TM30 helps keep people in Thailand safe

CRAP 100%    try  crossing a  road  here or  going on a minibus,  if  i have my tm 30  with me like a lucky amulet is  it going to keep me safe? no it  might help identify my  corpse  if the death wagon doesnt catch fire and incinerate me  first.

This is the sort of nonsense  poor  Thais  have to put up with year after year, the whole  corrupt  lot need  booting  out, theyd  need  so  many jails theyd  have to buy  up land in Myanmar to keep them all in

Seriously vague feedback and the editor was present.

This point about

"Cannot go to work on a Monday as was away on another province on the weekend and have to register back to my local immigration"

Surely this specific conundrum was discussed???

I have tried to register using the immigration department dedicated website for TM30 and i must say this site is one of the worst and unfriendly user i have ever seen, but after many tries with popups in thai saying errors, i have finally managed to fill up the details, got a a confirmation response that said a user ID and a password will be sent to me soon, this was 2 weeks ago, repeated calls to 1178 TM30 call center where no one pick up, so, Not so easy Mr. immigration spokesperson...

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Exactly like it should be then. Usually the way in most countries where foreigners settle down. They do not have the capacity to change the law and administrative factors.

But most countries are forward thinking and adapt to progress.TM30 is in place to counteract terrorism. I cant remember hearing of a Weaterner orchestrating a terrorist act in Thailand, yet in the South terrorist attacks happen on a daily basis.....all by Thais...its moot anyway as criminala just dont bother doing them.

When you come in regardless to what Visa/Extension you have you have to put your address down TM6.. so say that is entered into Immigration computer.. 

TM 28 = same... 90 day reporting = same....  TM 30 = same.... Local area Headman has copy of my passport copy of Blue House book, Town Hall has copy for Passport/ Visa / Extension, and on there Computer since 2004.. [OK that is fine as any Official paperwork wanted is easy Proof of address to do and paperwork in there PC is up-to-date + ALL paperwork in FREE and done while you wait] [[ sure saves going to Immigration to try to get Official paperwork Proof of address @ 500 baht per copy]] 

The question is why is the TM 30 even needed, they already have it 3 times. the TM 30 makes it 4 times ??

So have to agree.. we live in a Country 'controlled by a military dictatorship'

May not be that hard for them but it treats tourists like criminals and less human than thais.  Tourists dont wanr to spend hours reporting to immigration eveytime they go to an attraction,  they want to enjoy their 10 day holiday.  Can immagine the calls of racism if a country like Australia treated visitors like this.

1 hour ago, Mango Bob said:

Immigration will look you in the face and lie how the TM 30 keep us safe.  They are only saying this crap because they boss wants to keep it and no other reason.   The good guys do the form the bad ones don't.    You also give us a piece of crap website to us and try to convince us it works and we are doing it wrong not them.  Just hope other countries will do the same thing to the Thai people as they do to us.

Other countries wont because they have laws (racial vilification laws) all people must be treated equally regardless of race, sex or religion.  

11 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Tourists dont wanr to spend hours reporting to immigration eveytime they go to an attraction,  they want to enjoy their 10 day holiday.  

They don't. They are reported by hotels.

The ones that stay in Airbnbs are staying illegally anyways, according to Thai law.

The ones that stay for extended holidays over 60 days may encounter some difficulty in extending for 30 days without a TM30.

In 60 days, they would have seen all the temples already anyways.

Does not inconvenience 10 day tourists (majority).

Please note that I am trashing and mocking this TM30 to the best of my ability, but equally, it's unfair to let false information propagate.

3 minutes ago, Youlike said:

My wife tried to report me but the online system didn't even work!!

The first half of your sentence made me laugh.. 'tried to report me', that's what we usually do for criminals, don't we? ????

Just now, lkv said:

Well If you noticed that little cartoon that Immigration put out it says the YOU need to report to the IO in the province you are visiting if staying more than 24 hours ... besides going to your IO office when coming home.

You know I think there is a mistake their but ... Right, always a loophole, if they want to levy a fine

What part of a tm 30 is “not that hard”?

is it the drive to Chaeng wattana?

is it the form to fill out?

or is it the hours of waiting around until your number is called?

not that hard for whom? The immigration numpty who mindlessly plugs away on their keyboard? 

10 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

when coming home.

Tourists' home is their home country or their country of legal residence. I was talking about tourists.

It does inconvenience people staying long term in Thailand, yes.

16 minutes ago, lkv said:

The ones that stay in Airbnbs are staying illegally anyways, according to Thai law.

The ones that stay for extended holidays over 60 days may encounter some difficulty in extending for 30 days without a TM30.

In 60 days, they would have seen all the temples already anyways.

Does not inconvenience 10 day tourists (majority).

Please note that I am trashing and mocking this TM30 to the best of my ability, but equally, it's unfair to let false information propagate.

Complete rubbish.

People on a tourist visa have never needed to get TM30 to make an extension.

Tourist visa is exempt.

Some good points been made here but people who dont know what they talking about should not make such comments as it doesnt help the argument.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Also on the panel was Thailand based blogger Richard Barrow who made an excellent presentation which called for clarity and consistency when it comes to the enforcement of TM30 at immigration offices throughout Thailand. 

55 minutes ago, Thailand said:

They have.They have to report foreigners.

But it is not that difficult as the officer said. It is just the inconsistency from province to province. But that applies to everything immigration consistent inconsistency.

For me, this is the most sickening part of the whole TM30 charade. I only ever do a TM30 when I change my permanent residence. I travelled abroad 3 months ago and did my 90 day report last week at Jomtien/Chonburi immigration. As always, no mention of me not having filed a TM30.

However, this sticks in the craw of my fellow farangs, reporting to other IOs, and they shout from the rooftops, "If I have to do a TM30, why shouldn't he?"

The biggest enemy of farangs in Thailand isn't Thai Immigration, it's our pathetic, petty and selfish fellow farangs.

Archived