BANGKOK
Hal65

How much time to allot for Udon Thani 8am bus to Vientiane?

Is it safe to assume a 2.5 to 3 hour trek across the border? I'm planning on getting to the Vientiane bus station by 11am if the Udon bus leaves at 8am.

• Like 1

Having done it once, your estimate is about right.

• Like 1

Make sure you have A Lao visa. The bus will not stop at the Lao border and wait for you to get a visa.

• Like 1

Returning from Vientiane to Udon on the Thai Lao bus takes about 3 hours. I have used it many times. Going may be a bit quicker if it doesnt allow farangs without a Lao visa.

Posted (edited)

@jingjai9 Do you know if they flatly refuse to sell the ticket without the Laos visa? I don't mind if they ditch me at the Laos border, I just hate minivans and would prefer a Thai Bus and then a 2nd Laos bus if possible.

Edited by Hal65

6 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

@jingjai9@SunsetT Do you know if they flatly refuse to sell the ticket without the Laos visa? I don't mind if they ditch me at the Laos border, I just hate minivans and would prefer a Thai Bus and then a 2nd Laos bus if possible.

Sorry I dont know but given that they record your passport details when buying a ticket to use this service, I doubt it.

Not sure you need a visa as some nationalies gets visa on arrival...

Alternatively, you can take a mini but from the Udon Airport to the Friendship bridge bus station, then a tuk-tuk to the border and get your visa at the border. Then there is the bus across the bridge and the tuk-tuk to Vientiane.

8 minutes ago, RickFarang said:

and the tuk-tuk to Vientiane

Or the Laos bus service from the bridge to Vientiane...20/30thb.

Here you go....all your problems solved: There is a train at 7.07am; A short pleasant journey. Very expensive though 11thb....lol. You mentioned arriving 6am so you could easily walk to the station in 10 minutes if u dont have baggage, or a tuk tuk should be 50/60thb. The route is short and direct.

http://procurement.railway.co.th/checktime/checktime.asp?lenguage=Eng

Origin :

Destination :

Train Number
Type
Udon Thani
Departure
Nong Khai
Arrive
Timetable
Fares
Train Tracking

05:44
06:25
         Train No. 25
Rapid
07:07
07:55
         Train No. 133
Ordinary
11:33
12:20
         Train No. 415
Express
16:58
17:30
         Train No. 75
Express
3:35
4:15
         Train No. 77

@RickFarang  That's the way I've done it for the last 5 years. This year I'll be staying in a room next to Central Plaza in Udon for a night, then taking a bus or minivan staight to the Vientiane bus station in the morning (I will probably need to switch vehicles at the Laos border).

I like Udon far more than Vientiane so will only need to spend 1 night there this way.

@SunsetT Interesting idea about the train, I'll see how feasible it is from my place near Central Plaza thanks

5 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Here you go....all your problems solved: There is a train at 7.07am; A short pleasant journey. Very expensive though 11thb....lol. You mentioned arriving 6am so you could easily walk to the station in 10 minutes if u dont have baggage, or a tuk tuk should be 50/60thb. The route is short and direct.

http://procurement.railway.co.th/checktime/checktime.asp?lenguage=Eng

Origin :

Destination :

Train Number
Type
Udon Thani
Departure
Nong Khai
Arrive
Timetable
Fares
Train Tracking

05:44
06:25
         Train No. 25
Rapid
07:07
07:55
         Train No. 133
Ordinary
11:33
12:20
         Train No. 415
Express
16:58
17:30
         Train No. 75
Express
3:35
4:15
         Train No. 77

The train comes from BKK , so there may well be delays /late

1 minute ago, Hal65 said:

@SunsetT Interesting idea about the train, I'll see how feasible it is from my place near Central Plaza thanks

Even more direct to the train station. You cant use the bus without a visa and I've a vague recollection of someone telling me that Udon travel agents can no longer issue Laos visas. So its a minibus or train to the border......Your choice.

• Like 1

You can also get a connecting train straight across the border to Vientiane , avoiding the busy road crossing , they stamp you in and out at the stations , although the Vientiane train station is 20 K's out of town