How much time to allot for Udon Thani 8am bus to Vientiane?

Hal65

@jingjai9 Do you know if they flatly refuse to sell the ticket without the Laos visa? I don't mind if they ditch me at the Laos border, I just hate minivans and would prefer a Thai Bus and then a 2nd Laos bus if possible.

6 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

@jingjai9@SunsetT Do you know if they flatly refuse to sell the ticket without the Laos visa? I don't mind if they ditch me at the Laos border, I just hate minivans and would prefer a Thai Bus and then a 2nd Laos bus if possible.

Sorry I dont know but given that they record your passport details when buying a ticket to use this service, I doubt it.

Here you go....all your problems solved: There is a train at 7.07am; A short pleasant journey. Very expensive though 11thb....lol. You mentioned arriving 6am so you could easily walk to the station in 10 minutes if u dont have baggage, or a tuk tuk should be 50/60thb. The route is short and direct.

http://procurement.railway.co.th/checktime/checktime.asp?lenguage=Eng

Origin :

Destination :

Train Number
Type
Udon Thani
Departure
Nong Khai
Arrive
Timetable
Fares
Train Tracking

05:44
06:25
         Train No. 25
Rapid
07:07
07:55
         Train No. 133
Ordinary
11:33
12:20
         Train No. 415
Express
16:58
17:30
         Train No. 75
Express
3:35
4:15
         Train No. 77

@RickFarang  That's the way I've done it for the last 5 years. This year I'll be staying in a room next to Central Plaza in Udon for a night, then taking a bus or minivan staight to the Vientiane bus station in the morning (I will probably need to switch vehicles at the Laos border).

I like Udon far more than Vientiane so will only need to spend 1 night there this way.

5 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Here you go....all your problems solved: There is a train at 7.07am; A short pleasant journey. Very expensive though 11thb....lol. You mentioned arriving 6am so you could easily walk to the station in 10 minutes if u dont have baggage, or a tuk tuk should be 50/60thb. The route is short and direct.

http://procurement.railway.co.th/checktime/checktime.asp?lenguage=Eng

Origin :

Destination :

Train Number
Type
Udon Thani
Departure
Nong Khai
Arrive
Timetable
Fares
Train Tracking

05:44
06:25
         Train No. 25
Rapid
07:07
07:55
         Train No. 133
Ordinary
11:33
12:20
         Train No. 415
Express
16:58
17:30
         Train No. 75
Express
3:35
4:15
         Train No. 77

The train comes from BKK , so there may well be delays /late

1 minute ago, Hal65 said:

@SunsetT Interesting idea about the train, I'll see how feasible it is from my place near Central Plaza thanks

Even more direct to the train station. You cant use the bus without a visa and I've a vague recollection of someone telling me that Udon travel agents can no longer issue Laos visas. So its a minibus or train to the border......Your choice.

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The train comes from BKK , so there may well be delays /late

Almost guaranteed.....lol.....but no sweat unless u must get to the Thai Consulate AM the same day, and u'd be pushing it to do that even on the 8am Thai Lao bus.

I'm learning a lot today, thanks guys. Haven't had this rush of exploratory sense since I first came here

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You can also get a connecting train straight across the border to Vientiane , avoiding the busy road crossing , they stamp you in and out at the stations , although the Vientiane train station is 20 K's out of town

I guess the tuk into town would cost a fortune then? 20 km seems quite far away

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You can also get a connecting train straight across the border to Vientiane , avoiding the busy road crossing , they stamp you in and out at the stations , although the Vientiane train station is 20 K's out of town

I forgot about that thanks. Can foreigners use it?  Have u used it? Any idea of the times please?

Train looks like a 25 minute tuk ride to the consulate which is actually faster than the standard border to consulate: 

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Thanaleng+Station/17.966751,102.6246207/@17.9658929,102.6217194,16z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x312464065f3da23f:0xeedc3543afe8e8df!2m2!1d102.7093827!2d17.9036075!1m0!3e0

1) Do they have a visa on arrival option?

2) How long would you allow for lateness (for both the Udon -> Nong khai train and Nong Khai --> Vientiane)?

1 hour I can handle, 2-3 hours would be tough to schedule around.

Looks like there is a 7:30am train from Nong Khai to Vientiane: http://www.thailandtrains.com/how-to-travel-from-nong-khai-train-station-to-vientiane/

The page also says they do Visa On Arrival, and have transport into town for 100 thb

That train is sufficiently early that the only snag I see to this, is if the Udon to Nong Khai train is late and misses the Nong Khai to Vientiane train.

3 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

Looks like there is a 7:30am train from Nong Khai to Vientiane: http://www.thailandtrains.com/how-to-travel-from-nong-khai-train-station-to-vientiane/

The page also says they do Visa On Arrival, and have transport into town for 100 thb

That train is sufficiently early that the only snag I see to this, is if the Udon to Nong Khai train is late and misses the Nong Khai to Vientiane train.

The 7.07 would miss it even if on time but if u get up early for the 5.44 which arrives 6.25 u have an hour to allow for lateness.

Thanks for that pic, it does seem super close.

The bus vs train option has moved closer now that I've found Laos has an E visa option for $46 all in (vs $35 for VOA for Americans): https://laoevisa.gov.la/index

Bus

+ Drops me within walking distance of my hotel

+ Simple and known

- Tickets might be sold out if going too close to 8am. Thus a forced ~45 minute wait at the bus station

- As it happens later in the day, no option to head to the train if I miss the bus for any reason

- Pay $10 extra for E Visa

Train

+ Happens earlier: Can switch to another mode in case something happens. Also nicer for my day-sleeper schedule

+ No going early just to secure a ticket

+ Less lines/hassle at the border crossing

+ Maybe less time in a vehicle overall

+ Save money on train ticket and VOA

+ Cool and new factor

+/- Nong Khai train station may have power outlets which would let me take care of stuff on my computer

- Have to wait a bit (30 to 60 minutes) to catch the connecting train to Vientiane

- Some reports say there are no tuks or other public transport at the Vientiane train station(!)

That last negative for the train, potentially no public transport to the Thai consulate area, is the one thing that gives me pause. But even so, it seems to have way more positives regardless. Worst comes to worst I can probably wave money in the air as the tuks pass me on the road. 

My gut tells me there should be something there though, I've always seen public transport at other places (though they were more foreigner oriented)

I have checked pictures people uploaded at each station. Udon and Nong Khai both have many tuks outside. Vientiane is totally empty. Oh boy. I really will have to factor that last leg in now. The place looks so far from everything that there may be no tuks anywhere near the Vientiane train station.

I think the right thing to do is schedule a tuk to meet, or buy a combo ticket mentioned on one of those websites above.

EDIT:

Travel to Vientiane from Thanaleng

As you depart the train station towards the car park there is sign by a desk advertising transfers to Vientiane for 100 THB or 25,000 Kip. You can simply choose to buy your ticket to travel onto Vientiane from Thanaleng at the train station. 

• Travel Tip: There are lots of people who have reported that they have experienced problems with both the minivan booked at Nong Khai train station and the minivan they arranged at Thanaleng. The issue is that the driver demands more money than initially agreed when you reach your destination in Vientiane. This is a very common problem.

Pre-Book Your Transfer from Nong Khai to Vientiane

Rather than taking a chance on experiencing problems with minivan transfers from the border to Vientiane you have the option of pre-booking your travel from Nong Khai with Thai company Naga Travel which runs tours in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar. This service costs more than doing the trip independently and whether the extra cost represents value for money depends upon how you feel about dealing with scam artists.

• Cost: 450 THB
  • Depart: 07:00
  • Arrive: 09:00
  • Ticket Collection: Present your E-Voucher at the ticket counter at Nong Khai train station.
  • Journey details: 07:30 train from Nong Khai to Thanaleng and then transfer by micro-bus to Vientiane city centre.

The three hours mentioned are accurate, if you:
- hold a visa in your passport already or you are visa exempted
- not on a weekend or public holiday

The queues at the bridge can get tediously long during certain hours on weekends. 

Reading more reviews people are saying there are tuks at the Vientiane train station at the dropoff times. It makes sense. I estimate my odds are 75% a tuk will be there now and will go by train this trip.

Archived