Jump to content
BANGKOK
tombo81

Audio clip translation

Recommended Posts

เก็บรูปไปให้ด้วย 

ไป means ‘in the future’ I think, ‘going forward’ is what we hear on the BBC nowadays. 

Is ก็บรูปไว้ด้วย the same? 

Is there any opinion on ให้ ? Could it mean for me? 

ด้วย as well (?) 

Would that be, Do me a favour,  keep the picture.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tgeezer said:

เก็บรูปไปให้ด้วย 

ไป means ‘in the future’ I think, ‘going forward’ is what we hear on the BBC nowadays. 

Is ก็บรูปไว้ด้วย the same? 

Is there any opinion on ให้ ? Could it mean for me? 

ด้วย as well (?) 

Would that be, Do me a favour,  keep the picture.  

 

I did also understand ไป, but this doesn't make sense. Probably she isn't speaking clearly and actually saying ไว้. The words เก็บ and ไว้ are commonly used together, i don't know what the exact difference between เก็บ and เก็บไว้ is, both mean something like keep.

 

Your guess about ให้ is probably right. But imho it's not as clear as the english "for me". One other possible option, out of many, would be that she actually means something like "keep the picture for future use". Imho not possible to say what exactly the purpose of ให้ is without context.

 

ด้วย just indicates that she asked for something else before, either like "as well" or "too".

Could be about anything, we don't have context.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tgeezer said:

เก็บรูปไปให้ด้วย 

ไป means ‘in the future’ I think, ‘going forward’ is what we hear on the BBC nowadays. 

Is ก็บรูปไว้ด้วย the same? 

Is there any opinion on ให้ ? Could it mean for me? 

ด้วย as well (?) 

Would that be, Do me a favour,  keep the picture.  

 

25 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I did also understand ไป, but this doesn't make sense. Probably she isn't speaking clearly and actually saying ไว้. The words เก็บ and ไว้ are commonly used together, i don't know what the exact difference between เก็บ and เก็บไว้ is, both mean something like keep.

 

Your guess about ให้ is probably right. But imho it's not as clear as the english "for me". One other possible option, out of many, would be that she actually means something like "keep the picture for future use". Imho not possible to say what exactly the purpose of ให้ is without context.

 

ด้วย just indicates that she asked for something else before, either like "as well" or "too".

Could be about anything, we don't have context.

 

 

The context of the recording is as follows. I was on a dinner date with the lady who's speaking in the clip. She asked me to exchange a few brief words with a mutual Thai acquaintance of ours on the Line messaging app on my telephone. After I had done so, she took the phone from my hands, snapped a picture of me and uploaded it into my conversation with our acquaintance, then recorded this message and uploaded that as well. I was curious as to what she said, but alas it seems to have been innocuous enough.

 

The lady is from the Buriram province. Maybe she has an accent that would explain some of the difficulties interpreting her words?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I did also understand ไป, but this doesn't make sense. Probably she isn't speaking clearly and actually saying ไว้. The words เก็บ and ไว้ are commonly used together, i don't know what the exact difference between เก็บ and เก็บไว้ is, both mean something like keep.

 

Your guess about ให้ is probably right. But imho it's not as clear as the english "for me". One other possible option, out of many, would be that she actually means something like "keep the picture for future use". Imho not possible to say what exactly the purpose of ให้ is without context.

 

ด้วย just indicates that she asked for something else before, either like "as well" or "too".

Could be about anything, we don't have context.

 

ไป มักแสดงว่าทำกริยาต่อไปในอนาคต 

So if it was เก็บไป it means continue to collect pics. 

If it was เกบไว้ it means to put them or it away.   I wonder if she knows ‘save’. 

The rest rendered useless by the explanation posted as I wrote. I leave this explanation of the use of ไป . 

I think that ให้ must mean for me because the pic is on his phone and now will be on her friend’s phone. 

Edited by tgeezer
New information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

ไป มักแสดงว่าทำกริยาต่อไปในอนาคต 

So if it was เก็บไป it means continue to collect pics. 

If it was เกบไว้ it means to put them or it away.   I wonder if she knows ‘save’. If not she might well be saying keep saving the pics or save the pic. 

I favour plural pics so discount เก็บรูปใบ although รูปใบ is incorrect grammatically that doesn’t disqualify its use here.

We agree on ด้วย I see. 

 

There was only one picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tombo81 said:

 

There was only one picture.

Thanks, my conjecture went much further, that is a part that I failed to delete. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, tgeezer said:

เก็บรูปไปให้ด้วย 

ไป means ‘in the future’ I think, ‘going forward’ is what we hear on the BBC nowadays. 

Is ก็บรูปไว้ด้วย the same? 

Is there any opinion on ให้ ? Could it mean for me? 

ด้วย as well (?) 

Would that be, Do me a favour,  keep the picture.  

 

Listening to the tape, I think she says  ก็บรูป(ไว้)ให้ด้วย rather than ก็บรูป(ไป)ให้ด้วย. The 3rd syllable has a slight high tone which would be ไว้,  ก็บไว้ is a common way of saying 'save'. 

 

The ให้ด้วย is fairly common and  here likely means do it for me.  ให้ means give but can refer to actions, like a soccer player's lady friend saying give me this win, win it for me. The ด้วย  indicates the give me is a second request after the initial save the picture.

 

If there was a pronoun like  ฉัน before the tape starts it might also mean "I will save the picture for you",

 

Edit @tgeezer sorry I had not completely read your more recent post, which says about the same thing. This is an good example of the your point in a recent post about learning words in their context independent of their English translations. An excellent point.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rabas said:

Listening to the tape, I think she says  ก็บรูป(ไว้)ให้ด้วย rather than ก็บรูป(ไป)ให้ด้วย. The 3rd syllable has a slight high tone which would be ไว้,  ก็บไว้ is a common way of saying 'save'. 

 

 

Sorry, please note in the above post I lost the initial 'เ' in all instances of the word เก็บ.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that rabas. The book I referred to somewhere here is by a professor whose students at the second degree level were making her ความอึดอัดใจอยู่บอยครั้ง . 

That book and my familiarity with how we all misuse English at times has given me a lot of confidence in expressing my opinions here and elsewhere on the Thai language. 

How many of us can quote someone precisely, five minutes later, we can only say what we understood. The best reply to this post was the first one but I make no apology for chiming in. I did so because although the Original Poster was satisfied the rest of us in order to be fluent need to know what words might be added to achieve that aim. 

เก็บรูป doesn’t flow but it is undoubtedly the message. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...