Aetna premium increase

BobBKK

I believe they work with age bands. All insurers raise premiums as you age. Some do it yearly, some do it in 5 year age bands.

Likely you jumped an age band hence the big increase. If so, little or no increase for the next few years and then in about 5 years another big increase, and so on. But call them to find out for sure.

79K at age 61 is not an unusual premium, though slightly lower can be found.  That said, now would be the time to change insurers if you want to, as that gets harder and harder to do as you age.

42 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I believe they work with age bands. All insurers raise premiums as you age. Some do it yearly, some do it in 5 year age bands.

Likely you jumped an age band hence the big increase. If so, little or no increase for the next few years and then in about 5 years another big increase, and so on. But call them to find out for sure.

79K at age 61 is not an unusual premium, though slightly lower can be found.  That said, now would be the time to change insurers if you want to, as that gets harder and harder to do as you age.

Thanks!  I am considering swapping to LMG as they offer 16m cover and Aetna only 1m for similar premiums.

Actually, there is no age band.

The 5 year bands that is for Life Insurance.

Aetna health insurance raises the rates each year you age. Mine has gone up about 10 percent each year and never made a claim.

So, expect another increase next year.

37 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Actually, there is no age band.

The 5 year bands that is for Life Insurance.

Aetna health insurance raises the rates each year you age. Mine has gone up about 10 percent each year and never made a claim.

So, expect another increase next year.

Sorry I rechecked there are bands with Aetna. Im now in the 61-65 (see attached).

I have done the research and for 79,884 I get 1m cover but for 66k with AA/LMG I get 3m cover so Im jumping ship.

Screenshot (249).png

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
24 minutes ago, BobBKK said:
I know I'm changing to 'April' and for less get 3m cover (66,000).

I looked at April Thailand, the 16m cover is also lower premiums relative to other companies but they go further back for pre existing and exclude

Im off to hospital now to get a 'it's cured' report  lol. I think if you have that evidence they dont exclude... but we'll see  ???? 

2 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Sorry I rechecked there are bands with Aetna. Im now in the 61-65 (see attached).

I have done the research and for 79,884 I get 1m cover but for 66k with AA/LMG I get 3m cover so Im jumping ship.

Screenshot (249).png

Ok, just trying to explain my experience.

I believe that band however changes/ increases each year.

I have had Aetna 5 years and like I said, an increase each year.

Just for info if you change companies several have a 2 year window. In other words they may be more prone to deny a claim with the "pre existing" if you make one in the first 2 years.  I know Aetna has this policy.

Just check all the fine print and ask a lot of questions.

Good luck.

And good for you for being responsible and getting insurance.

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
8 hours ago, BobBKK said:
I know I'm changing to 'April' and for less get 3m cover (66,000).

I looked at April Thailand, the 16m cover is also lower premiums relative to other companies but they go further back for pre existing and exclude

Considered April International? That is what I have. Comes under French insurance regs rather than Thai which is a definite plus. Claims processed by same office.

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Ok, just trying to explain my experience.

I believe that band however changes/ increases each year.

I have had Aetna 5 years and like I said, an increase each year.

Just for info if you change companies several have a 2 year window. In other words they may be more prone to deny a claim with the "pre existing" if you make one in the first 2 years.  I know Aetna has this policy.

Just check all the fine print and ask a lot of questions.

Good luck.

And good for you for being responsible and getting insurance.

Annual changes with Aetna would be inflationary.  The age increases are in 5 year bands.

Considered April International? That is what I have. Comes under French insurance regs rather than Thai which is a definite plus. Claims processed by same office.
i considered both April Thailand and April Intl France. April Thailand is a lot cheaper but obviously some downsides

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes I have decided to go with April (underwritten, as you know, by Liberty). 3m cover for 20k less.

Did you go for 3m or 16m?  16m just seems OTT and quite a bit more expensive.

Yes I have decided to go with April (underwritten, as you know, by Liberty). 3m cover for 20k less.

Did you go for 3m or 16m?  16m just seems OTT and quite a bit more expensive.
I have April International not April Thailand. The limit is USD 1 million per year.

For policy with limit in Thai baht:

1) check if that limit is per event or per year. If per year definitely go for 16. If per event you could go for 3 though I have seen cases where single hospital bill exceeded that (not many tho).

2) check to see if there are other differences in the 2 policies, usually a policy with a higher limit will also cover more things. In patticular look at cover for outpatient cancer treatment and dialysis.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived