One for the rodent: Rats a cheap street snack in Cambodia

geovalin

Rodents are simply an inexpensive lunch for workers and farmers

Battambang,  Cambodia: As he tears off a leg of a charcoal-grilled rat at a roadside stall in western Cambodia, Yit Sarin hails the simple joy of rodent and rice washed down with beer. "It's delicious," he says of the snack.

Barbecued field rats are not everybody's idea of a tasty treat, but in Cambodia's rural Battambang province they are popular as a quick - and cheap - snack, with small skewered ones going for $0.25 each while larger rodents can cost $1.25.

read more https://gulfnews.com/world/asia/one-for-the-rodent-rats-a-cheap-street-snack-in-cambodia-1.1565851071363

4 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I can't believe there are not popular in Thailand. We ate bugs upcountry, but was never offered rat (or mice). Nor did i see anyone cooking them.

They are popular in N.East Thailand . Surprisingly tasty and the baby rats are apparently more sought after .... couldn't bring myself to eat the babies . 

Like the old saying " I love kids ,but couldn't eat a whole one " 

IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

Ahhhhh... 'Mickey mouse BBQ' - My wife's favorite up country dish ????

She's had me reversing back up the road hundreds of yards after flying past a road side vendor at highway speeds so she can get her dose of rat meat.

Apparently, as long as the rat eats only field vegetation and rice, then its OK to eat.

But, if the rate is a feral city rat which lives in a cities sewers, then it is considered un-clean and likely to contain toxins.

The same goes for the common cochroach and other larger sometimes edible insects.

Come to think about it, she eats pretty much everything...

But I have nothing to worry about though, since I hang around in Pattaya, and under the usual rules, 'may contain toxins and am not fit to eat. 

Thus I can sleep well at night without worrying about waking up with a body part missing that is now marinated and revolving on the BBQ ????

On 8/16/2019 at 5:37 PM, AgMech Cowboy said:

I can't believe there are not popular in Thailand. We ate bugs upcountry, but was never offered rat (or mice). Nor did i see anyone cooking them.

Saw them at the Laos markets in Nong Khai province 

Archived