Bangkok Bank SMS service

Just returned LoS from a 2 month trip away and wasn't using my AIS mobile/cell service during that time.  1/2 way through the trip, removed the AIS sim to make room for an SD card, then reinserted AIS on arrival BKK earlier this week.  Working for everything else, SMS, calls, internet, but no SMS from Bankgkok Bank.  Before leaving, no problem with OTPs and notification for inbound fund transfers.  Received a Transferwise deposit on Wednesday, no SMS was sent. 

My Settings/contacts still shows my Cell # but noticed now, all the SMS option tick boxes are gone except 1.

Sent an in-mail to BKB, no response yet, so thought I would ping here, see if anyone's seen this before, in particular after a long-trip outside Thailand.  I also just noticed on their site, signing up for the SMS service now costs 10 or 15 Baht a month?  Never paid before, never even noticed that.  Something new since I've been away?

image.png.b1c447d00c35d42fd85146bf9feaa07b.png

My account never offered more than shown in your screenshot.

I remember advertising full SMS alerts with some free introduction period.

But now surely you have to pay for the service:

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/SMS-Services/SMS-Account-Alert

Only 15 baht fee/ month/ account with no limit on the number of SMS. Enroll from December 1, 2018 - December 31, 2019 for 2 months’ free service if registering a new account and you have not applied for this service before.

My Kasikorn account has all the alerts but costs a whopping 800 Baht/year.

As said there are different plans for SMS - the most used free service is for foreign transfers (those with FTT code).  But as said above believe they had trial of pay service which may have expired if you received for everything.  The card transaction and foreign remittance (if ftt - if Transferwise does not use Bangkok Bank for transfer there will be no SMS) are free services.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/SMS-Services/SMS-Card-Spending-Alert

Once you @55Jay have sorted out your current problem...

...consider always to have a back up means of reading the content of your SMSs!

- even one that means you don't even have to have you functioning working phone+SIM with you. Just a PC/Laptop, or 'anyone' elses phone for that matter.

I have mentioned similar in other SMS Notification related threads; but all you need is to go the Play Store, download SMS Backup+

- this lets you atutomatically have all your SMSs forwarded (i.e. backed up)  to a nominated email address (I just make up a standalone gmail address for this purpose.

This becomes very useful, when banking involves you needing notifications from your Bank back in the old country.

40 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As said there are different plans for SMS - the most used free service is for foreign transfers (those with FTT code).  But as said above believe they had trial of pay service which may have expired if you received for everything.  The card transaction and foreign remittance (if ftt - if Transferwise does not use Bangkok Bank for transfer there will be no SMS) are free services.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/SMS-Services/SMS-Card-Spending-Alert

Jeez, I data dumped the whole FTT/SMART discussion going on here as I was getting ready to leave Thailand for a while, and then haven't used TW for 3 odd monthys since.  My TW inbounds had always been FTT.  The TW deposit on Wednesday reflected as SMART.   So that's the rub on the lack of SMS. Makes sense, thanks!

@KhunBENQ  Thanks.  TBH, I don't remember what that Setting page looked like before, but with the other circumstances lining up, thought maybe something was amiss.  Now, I don't think so.  

I'll try again doing something that requires an OTP, I bet it'll work.  I'll also try the "funds for long stay in Thailand" reason on my next TW transfer - saw that thread this morning as well.  All making sense now.  

Thanks again.

13 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I'll also try the "funds for long stay in Thailand" reason on my next TW transfer

As it happens I had a Transferwise received on the 14th also, and did select that reason, and it was received as FTT.  Account is also reported to be tagged to use Bangkok Bank so can not be sure selecting the reason was key but suspect it likely performs the same function.  I did not make a telephone call or other contact prior to this specific transfer. 

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

As it happens I had a Transferwise received on the 14th also, and did select that reason, and it was received as FTT.  Account is also reported to be tagged to use Bangkok Bank so can not be sure selecting the reason was key but suspect it likely performs the same function.  I did not make a telephone call or other contact prior to this specific transfer. 

The FTT/SMART issue didn't resonate and stick with me as I use money in bank method for Immi.

Now I see there is some link to deposit coding and the SMS notification.  Minor thing but good to know. Thanks again.

Archived