Eye cataract operations

Gandtee

Recently a poster quoted the cost of an eye cataract operation carried out at Queen Sirikit Hospital. I've tried to find that post to no avail. Anyone remember or know the cost? What is the ball park figure for this operation generally? 

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

Here's an older one: 

Thanks Biker. I've seen that one. I'm looking for something more recent. I've just had tests a Queen Sirikit and been informed I need cataract operations on both eyes. They told me it would cost approx. Bt50,000 per eye. I can't see my way clear to fork out that sort of money, pun intended. I remember a recent post which quoted something less. There is a sign at the hospital say foreigners will be charged plus 50%. 

5 minutes ago, alan grice said:

I had one eye done.45 K, best B and L lens. Most top Hospitals are much the same i found enquiring before.Photoimulsificaton or something like

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Where was that and how long ago.

1 hour ago, alan grice said:

Samitivej Hospital Group. 5 years ago , but i see in their magazine it much the same price.Cant tell if 1 nights private rooms still include , Thai languages

Normally only one eye done at a time and an outpatient procedure (return next day to remove bandage).

4 hours ago, alan grice said:

Samitivej Hospital Group. 5 years ago , but i see in their magazine it much the same price.Cant tell if 1 nights private rooms still include , Thai languages

Why does it need a stay in hospital ? My mum had both eyes done a month apart in Ayr. I took her to the out-patients departmentet at 0830 am and collected her again at 1200 on each occasion.

And im sure your wrong for what i had anyway.They are opening a new one in Uttaradit soon . I know nothing about any costs in Bkk or Patts. My opp was at Phitsanuvej Hospital in Phitsanulok.Exellent Value

What you had 5 years ago.

Medical costs have skyrocketed in recent years, nothing in a private hospital now costs what it did 5 years ago.

I have priced this recently.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well i beg to differ, may be wrong, not being much bothered about costs, but remember glancing through last months magazine , noticed Photo whatever and thinking thats much the same. Anyway i shall need right one doing perhaps in 12 months. I shall retun, that water methods good.!.[emoji872]

Not exactly what you asked for, but as an aside, today on MSnews, was an article that says

cataract surgery is no longer needed as researchers have come up with a chemical wash which

dissolves the cataract.  Before having any surgery if there is a possibility of washing the problem 

away that is what I would do.   Either way, good luck with your treatment!

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

Not exactly what you asked for, but as an aside, today on MSnews, was an article that says

cataract surgery is no longer needed as researchers have come up with a chemical wash which

dissolves the cataract.  Before having any surgery if there is a possibility of washing the problem 

away that is what I would do.   Either way, good luck with your treatment!

Thanks for that. I've just investigated the eyewash system and it says it's in its experimental stages.

20 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Maybe they think it's a load of eyewash.

That's what some must be hoping. There goes the new Benz every year!

More seriously, a non-surgical cataract treatment would surely be revolutionary. I recall reading cataract surgery is the most common surgical procedure in the U.S. If not that, it's very high up there. 

Slightly off subject, six years ago I had a detached retina (considered  an emergency because of the chance of permanent loss of sight). They did the Cataract at the same time. It was done at the Eye Ear Nose & Throat Hospital, Thonburi (eent.co.th) Tel 02886 660013 (Dr Chairat Saovaprut). I have had no problems since. The cost THB 102,185 (On Insuracce so I may have got it cheaper). including 4 night stay & a bed bath done by 3 nurses. Included a fit to fly letter 4 weeks later.

I think a Cataract done as day surgery would be considerably cheaper.      

16 minutes ago, Groodman said:

Slightly off subject, six years ago I had a detached retina (considered  an emergency because of the chance of permanent loss of sight). They did the Cataract at the same time. It was done at the Eye Ear Nose & Throat Hospital, Thonburi (eent.co.th) Tel 02886 660013 (Dr Chairat Saovaprut). I have had no problems since. The cost THB 102,185 (On Insuracce so I may have got it cheaper). including 4 night stay & a bed bath done by 3 nurses. Included a fit to fly letter 4 weeks later.

I think a Cataract done as day surgery would be considerably cheaper.      

A retina detachment or tear is out patient as well as a cataract. I use drops of a japanese product which is suppose to slow the progress of the cataract, it doesn't cure or dissolve the cataract. I use Ram Hospital in CM Dr. Ratchada. 

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:34 PM, moe666 said:

A retina detachment or tear is out patient as well as a cataract. I use drops of a japanese product which is suppose to slow the progress of the cataract, it doesn't cure or dissolve the cataract. I use Ram Hospital in CM Dr. Ratchada. 

I think those drops are a scam. 

Bangkok Christian had a special on last year - cost me around Bt47 K in December 2018 with special lens for astigmitism. I think it will be around Bt60 K now. I have to go back for 2nd op. shortly. Best to look around the hospitals for any specials and/or get quotes.

Never try and walk after op., unless you are used to walking around with one eye closed. I walked down Silom Road shortly after op. and landed flat on my face on the uneven sidewalk, and am still sitting here with a messed-up shoulder.

This will sound crazy... we drove my wife's dad to a lady outside of Rayong and for 200 baht, she pierced his upper ear with a pin and made a bit of a slit w/a razorblade nearby... we needed 2 visits, 2 weeks apart and his cataracts were gone... it was pretty amazing... 

This will sound crazy... we drove my wife's dad to a lady outside of Rayong and for 200 baht, she pierced his upper ear with a pin and made a bit of a slit w/a razorblade nearby... we needed 2 visits, 2 weeks apart and his cataracts were gone... it was pretty amazing... 
Come again?!?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Eye cataract operation, 5 months ago the Op was quoted 12 - 15,000 baht, for the Lens about 15,000 baht so total less than 30,000 baht.    will know end of next month as see the Surgeon in the last week of Sept  Red Cross Hospital [my hospital for some years]

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You were right the first time. It does sound crazy.

Funny also was that she was referred as a healer, but she only has this one specialty... and she was kind of a bit nasty too... she was annoyed with us because she closes for the day at 3 pm and we arrived a few minutes after 3 - when we told her how far we had driven, 8 hours, she agreed to the treatment... but she was kind of nasty... [and it was not like we were trying to buy Greenland from her] 

Archived