Pickup rolls into ditch, one dead, one injured

Rimmer

Pickup rolls into ditch, one dead, one injured

1359-nc11Pickup-rolls-into-ditch.jpg

SATTAHIP:--On the night of Aug 3, at around 4 am police and rescue units rushed to the scene of an accident where they found a badly damaged pickup truck in a ditch and two young men lying beside it.

The driver identified as Mr. Pattanupong Wanhom, 21 was slightly injured and was seen lamenting over the body of Jiradej Uong, 19 who died in the crash. He kept saying “I’m so sorry, please wake up”.

On investigation police found out that the two young men had been relaxing on the beach in front of the Sattahip District Office and were on the way back to the Sattahip Naval Base workshop where they were both employed.

Pattanupong said that he was driving on Sukhumvit Road at KM 174 on the Sattahip-Taotan Route with his friend Jiradej who was sitting in the back of the pickup when all of a sudden, a motorbike swerved in from of the truck. He swerved to avoid hitting the bike and lost control, whereby the truck rolled into the ditch. Jiradej was thrown off the back and was killed instantly on impact.

The rescue unit transported the body to Sattahip KM 10 Hospital for an autopsy while police took the grieving Pattanupong into custody to be charged with reckless driving causing a person to lose his life.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-08-16—

7 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

with his friend Jiradej who was sitting in the back of the pickup

Sitting in the back, on the truck bed?  If he'd been inside the truck, with seatbelt, he'd probably survived. But, that require that very rare thing called safety awareness.

RIP

26 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

when all of a sudden, a motorbike swerved in from of the truck. He swerved to avoid hitting the bike and lost control, whereby the truck rolled into the ditch. Jiradej was thrown off the back and was killed instantly on impact.

Incredible the number of motorcyclists who arrive abruptly on one of the dimensions of another vehicle ..
This will soon replace the brakes that fail without reason.
and just as incredible the number of drivers who drive too fast and therefore can not avoid an unforeseeable obstacle.
With that, the rear passenger was not attached to his seat belt, so he passed through the windshield.
To make this clear to the Thais will be a very difficult affair; the safety belt is necessary if you do not want to pass through the windshield of the vehicle. even you are on the rear seats.
The driver was very lucky to get out alive because if this passenger had touched him in passing, he would also be dead.

Sorry, not seeing that the passenger was in the bucket, so no belt, actually!
But if he had been in the vehicle, I guess it would have been the same: no belt and even result.

5 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Incredible the number of motorcyclists who arrive abruptly on one of the dimensions of another vehicle ..

It reads like the guy was in the bed of the pickup. Heaven knows why!

17 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Sitting in the back, on the truck bed?

Unfortunately unclear from the text.

But why would he cramp in the back bench.

So comfortable on the truck bed.

On the night of Aug 3

13 days ago! So of course almost impossible to find other news about the incident.

Found two sources that clearly say that the victim was thrown off the truck bed.

Such an avoidable waste of life.

I often hold my breath when I see reckless speeding pickup drivers carrying a group of people (often students). Flying over the speed bumpers etc.

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It reads like the guy was in the bed of the pickup. Heaven knows why!

Just a theory, but what if they were drinking on the beach and his friend got so drunk that he wanted some fresh air, perhaps not feeling well. Another theory would be that they had an argument and he wanted to be alone on the truck?

The driver said:  “I’m so sorry, please wake up”

2 hours ago, essox essox said:

if this report is true, is it not strange that all of a sudden at 4 am a lone biker appears on the road causing truck driver to swerve??!!

Very strange this happen at 4 am???

It was being driven by a skeleton rider on fire

22 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

This will soon replace the brakes that fail without reason.
and just as incredible the number of drivers who drive too fast and therefore can not avoid an unforeseeable obstacle.
With that, the rear passenger was not attached to his seat belt, so he passed through the windshield.
To make this clear to the Thais will be a very difficult affair; the safety belt is necessary if you do not want to pass through the windshield of the vehicle. even you are on the rear seats.
The driver was very lucky to get out alive because if this passenger had touched him in passing, he would also be dead.

Sorry, not seeing that the passenger was in the bucket, so no belt, actually!
But if he had been in the vehicle, I guess it would have been the same: no belt and even result.

We had a pickup end up in the ditch outside my house at 10.30 one night. The driver claimed he had swerved to avoid someone walking. Now, this is a country road that might see just two or three walkers during the day, and never at night. I struggled not to laugh at his excuse, especially as there was no-one to be seen immediately after. Maybe he saw a ghost and I'm being unkind to him.

And I thought that riding in the bed of a pickup was illegal. But then, whether something is illegal or not has absolutely no relevance in Thailand.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:01 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

Sitting in the back, on the truck bed?  If he'd been inside the truck, with seatbelt, he'd probably survived. But, that require that very rare thing called safety awareness.

RIP

2 men in a pickup? Why did one sit in the back?

Archived