Thai Rath poll: Bum guns get the thumbs up from Thais after parliamentary debate

webfact

1 hour ago, Tilacme said:

The bum gun is one thing the Thais have got right.  Couldn't do it in UK as mains water is too cold.

Not forgetting the water pressure. You’d end up with more than just s*** on the ceiling.  

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, lust said:

I used to use tissue to clean myself. Now, it’s the bum gun for cleaning, and tissue paper is to confirm that I did a good job cleaning. If I see any color on the tissue paper, it’s back to the gun for me. Repeat until tissue has nothing on it. Love my bum gun. The only thing better than a bum gun is a bidet.

Don't you get your fingers in there when you spray? Gotta get your fingers in there!

I have a strange feeling the common "bum gun" was a late addition to Thailand, I think it may have been used first in Islamic countries 

Certainly the French had the Bidet long before Thailand had the bum gun

Good to see they are intent on discussing the important issues that are confronting Thailand at the moment; like the economy going down the toilet. 

Can't wait for Uncle Knowall to step into the fray and give his profound opinion on bum guns, parliamentary or otherwise.

15 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I have a strange feeling the common "bum gun" was a late addition to Thailand, I think it may have been used first in Islamic countries 

Certainly the French had the Bidet long before Thailand had the bum gun

According to Wikipedia (that font of all knowledge) is was, I quote: 'reputedly invented by a Thai living in the US who adapted a sink sprayer for toilet use'. So there is, is seems, a Thai connection.

I first encountered the 'bidet shower' as it's correctly called, whilst working in the middle east and my apartment in Egypt has one built into the toilet. And very good it is too!

Oh and here's another factoid from Wiki'

'The average American uses 50 pounds of toilet paper each year; every roll is estimated to require 37 gallons of water to produce and an additional 1.6 gallons to flush down the toilet'.

I rest my case in favour of the bidet shower, sorry bum gun. ????

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

According to Wikipedia (that font of all knowledge) is was, I quote: 'reputedly invented by a Thai living in the US who adapted a sink sprayer for toilet use'. So there is, is seems, a Thai connection.

I first encountered the 'bidet shower' as it's correctly called, whilst working in the middle east and my apartment in Egypt has one built into the toilet. And very good it is too!

'The average American uses 50 pounds of toilet paper each year; every roll is estimated to require 37 gallons of water to produce and an additional 1.6 gallons to flush down the toilet'.

I can recall using them in the middle east over 40 years ago, and cannot recall them in Thailand at that time when I toured here.

2 hours ago, Tilacme said:

The bum gun is one thing the Thais have got right.  Couldn't do it in UK as mains water is too cold.

Install it anyways. My home is in Canada. You’ll get used to the cold water on your rear. 

PLUS there are also pre-warmers that can be purchased for the bum gun. After spending months in Thailand and learning how to use it, I ordered one online from China on EBay and installed it easily myself, complete with wall hook to hold it between uses and a valve to control pressure. But there are also other companies online that sell various models and also water pre warmers if you wish.

https://www.amazon.com/handheld-bidet-warm-water/s?k=handheld+bidet+warm+water

I love the bum gun hand held bidet sprayer. 

19 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The hand held bidet sprayer “bum gun” can be found all over southeast and South Asia and lots of other places. It’s catching on in more and more areas. First time I saw a “bum gun” was in China.

It’s just an up-dated way of cleaning over using a dipper out of a pail of water. 

Need the bum gun sure.

Last year we stay on Chwaeng Beach Centara Hotel Koh Samui.

The hotel nice, is quite expensive, but no Bum gun!!!! We never go back there again because of this reason. Even the all cheap hotel in Thailand have the bumgun. 

We ask the staff why not have. They say the farang don’t care, don’t use. Mainly foreign customer. 

For me, this so dirty. If my car go in the mud, should I clean it with paper? Do the good job. Not clean it properly sure. 

Why don’t farang use it? I don’t understand. 

2 minutes ago, barryofthailand said:

foreigners also like the Bum Guns 

Absolutely. In my travels from my home in Canada having been raised with sit down toilets and just wiping with toilet paper, I quickly learned how to use an Asian squat toilet and handle ladle with water pail and in other places, the “bum gun”. 

Now I have a sprayer “bum gun” installed in my home in Canada. I’ve gotten funny looks when visitors ask me “What do use that sprayer for by your toilet?” 

10 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Need the bum gun sure.

Last year we stay on Chwaeng Beach Centara Hotel Koh Samui.

The hotel nice, is quite expensive, but no Bum gun!!!! We never go back there again because of this reason. Even the all cheap hotel in Thailand have the bumgun. 

We ask the staff why not have. They say the farang don’t care, don’t use. Mainly foreign customer. 

For me, this so dirty. If my car go in the mud, should I clean it with paper? Do the good job. Not clean it properly sure. 

Why don’t farang use it? I don’t understand. 

Lots of farangs don’t use the “bum gun” because they don’t understand it.        They grew up without it in their home country.

But there are a lot of us farangs who do like the “bum gun” and use it every time. Because we learned about it and we know how to use it. I hate using only toilet paper. 

2 hours ago, Tilacme said:

In the UK they should as a start get rid of the nasty carpet in the bathrooms … :thumbsup:

http://maxipowercleaning.co.uk/why-brits-have-carpet-in-the-bathroom/

I had one in the apartment in Tokyo when I lived there, and, in a separate toilet room, they had fitted a TOTO Toilet system.  Heated toilet seat for wither, as well, as a push button " Master Blaster ".  Japan has the best toilets in the world, and, also the worst. The " Squatters " . I only used a squatter on a couple of occasions when I was desperate,

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

Not forgetting the water pressure. You’d end up with more than just s*** on the ceiling.  

Never have problem with the pressure. I ordered a “bum gun” from China off of EBay and installed it myself in Canada a few years ago.

It came with an adjustable valve, like a tap. You control the pressure as you like it. Like a tap. 

Why would you think there would be no way to control the pressure? 

1 minute ago, gearsau said:

I had one in the apartment in Tokyo when I lived there, and, in a separate toilet room, they had fitted a TOTO Toilet system.  Heated toilet seat for wither, as well, as a push button " Master Blaster ".  Japan has the best toilets in the world, and, also the worst. The " Squatters " . I only used a squatter on a couple of occasions when I was desperate,

Japanese toilet facilities are best in the world IMHO

Hate squatters, especially as I age 

2 hours ago, keith101 said:

I haven't seen one service station or shopping centre inc home DIY stores that has them either so what's the big deal just use what's provided and get over it .

That would forcefully make you a dirty wiper.  Disgusting.  Please provide a butt gun and a safe space.

2 hours ago, keith101 said:

I haven't seen one service station or shopping centre inc home DIY stores that has them either so what's the big deal just use what's provided and get over it .

Bought mine from China off of EBay several years ago. Couldn’t be happier. There are also other web sites that sell them. 

Sure, I looked for bum guns around town here in Canada at first. Couldn’t find them.

But I didn’t let the fact that no brick and mortar store had them stop me from getting one. 

A lot of people buy online these days. 

11 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

I always think that, if a seagull shat in your face, would you want to wipe it around with a tissue or water wash it?

Exactly.   I like to ask, “If somehow you got shit on your arm or hands, would you just wipe it off with toilet paper, and call it good??  Or would you at least wash it off with water??”

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Spraying shitty water and bacteria all over the place is not a good idea, never used one neither does the mrs, tis a dirty foreign contraption.

If you use it and you’re spraying shitty water and bacteria all over the place, then you obviously don’t know how to use it. Oh well....another farang who doesn’t want to learn. 

Just now, Catoni said:

If you use it and you’re spraying shitty water and bacteria all over the place, then you obviously don’t know how to use it. Oh well....another farang who doesn’t want to learn. 

Add another to ranks of the the "dirty wiper."  He and the misses must be a real treat at the end of the day.  Now you know why dogs always sniff butts, but you rarely see that in Asia.  

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:
2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Practise makes perfect as the saying goes. IMO 'tis the best way to keep bum, hands and the toilet clean. I could not be without one.

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Need replaceable nozzles for hygiene purposes

You must have a very strange way of using your bum gun. ????

2 hours ago, lust said:

I used to use tissue to clean myself. Now, it’s the bum gun for cleaning, and tissue paper is to confirm that I did a good job cleaning. If I see any color on the tissue paper, it’s back to the gun for me. Repeat until tissue has nothing on it. Love my bum gun. The only thing better than a bum gun is a bidet.

The “bum gun” is often called “hand held bidet”. 

Spray with right hand, while wiping at same time with other hand, same as you do with water ladle at squat toilet. 

You get nice and clean then you can dry with toilet paper or if there is no toilet paper, (often the case in many areas of certain countries), just pull your underwear and pants up and your body heat soon dries everything. 

No problem...works very well. 

Archived