Thai Rath poll: Bum guns get the thumbs up from Thais after parliamentary debate

webfact

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

You must have a very strange way of using your bum gun. ????

Faecal spray can contaminate the nozzle, in fact flushing a toilet sends microscopic spray up to 3 meters unless the toilet lid is closed.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I don't like the flooding they cause, some people are spraying water all over the place. Nothing butt selfishness.

I’ve had a bum gun installed for years. So far no flooding. Just like my kitchen sink taps, there is a valve to control the water pressure and to shut it right off. 

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Faecal spray can contaminate the nozzle, in fact flushing a toilet sends microscopic spray up to 3 meters unless the toilet lid is closed.

Simple answer 1. Don't touch the nozzle.

Simple answer 2. Close the lid. That's what it's there for.

37 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Japanese toilet facilities are best in the world IMHO

Hate squatters, especially as I age 

The longer you keep using your leg muscles for squatting, the longer they will stay strong. 

As we age, we lose muscle we don’t use. 

In mountain villages I’ve been in, the elderly are much stronger than most of us farangs. They have only squat toilets with a bucket of water and a ladle for pouring. And no toilet paper to be found. 

3 hours ago, Tilacme said:

The bum gun is one thing the Thais have got right.  Couldn't do it in UK as mains water is too cold.

The cold is not a problem, its more the lack of water pressure. Most UK bathrooms are fed water from a loft tank, not the mains.

2 hours ago, lust said:

I used to use tissue to clean myself. Now, it’s the bum gun for cleaning, and tissue paper is to confirm that I did a good job cleaning. If I see any color on the tissue paper, it’s back to the gun for me. Repeat until tissue has nothing on it. Love my bum gun. The only thing better than a bum gun is a bidet.

Bidet is for washing the babies out as a french lady said...

2 hours ago, lust said:

I used to use tissue to clean myself. Now, it’s the bum gun for cleaning, and tissue paper is to confirm that I did a good job cleaning. If I see any color on the tissue paper, it’s back to the gun for me. Repeat until tissue has nothing on it. Love my bum gun. The only thing better than a bum gun is a bidet.

So, a possible case of rinse and repeat then?

2 minutes ago, Catoni said:

The longer you keep using your leg muscles for squatting, the longer they will stay strong. 

As we age, we lose muscle we don’t use. 

In mountain villages I’ve been in, the elderly are much stronger than most of us farangs. They have only squat toilets with a bucket of water and a ladle for pouring. And no toilet paper to be found. 

Arthritis of the hips, I do daily gym activities 50 min/60min, including leg lifts, prone and seated leg curls, hip adduction and abduction, walk 5 klm minimum daily, and still hate squatters 

20 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Been flushing toilets for close to 70 years. I can’t remember ever getting sick from it. E.coli would be the primary fecal bacteria. You need to intake a lot more than what is released in a toilet flush to get sick. 

Most “traveller’s diarrhea” is caused by food handlers who didn’t wash their hands after having a bowel movement and getting some crap on their hands, or by eating vegetables with bits of feces on them from natural fertilizer and not being washed properly. 

3 hours ago, Tilacme said:

The bum gun is one thing the Thais have got right.  Couldn't do it in UK as mains water is too cold.

Well, why not get a thermostatic controlled one? Easily available via Amazon UK for around £60 - just search for 'shataf' (yes, really!) as that is their name.

39 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

To be fair, you would use soap as well.

Yes, that’s why I said you would at “...least...” wash it off with water. Of course using soap also is even better. 

But even using water and wiping is much better than just wiping with toilet paper and calling it “good”. 

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Need the bum gun sure.

Last year we stay on Chwaeng Beach Centara Hotel Koh Samui.

The hotel nice, is quite expensive, but no Bum gun!!!! We never go back there again because of this reason. Even the all cheap hotel in Thailand have the bumgun. 

We ask the staff why not have. They say the farang don’t care, don’t use. Mainly foreign customer. 

For me, this so dirty. If my car go in the mud, should I clean it with paper? Do the good job. Not clean it properly sure. 

Why don’t farang use it? I don’t understand. 

This farang use for 30 years!

3 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

I bought one for my sister in England. She uses it for cleansing the bowl but I put it to great use on my visits especially after a vindaloo from the local Indian. The cold water does wonders for the inherent "ring heat". 

Rooster

If no bum gun then toilet paper in the freezer might be an option but probably not even a close second.

4 hours ago, Tilacme said:

Since I used one I do not like any other way when i went back home from my first holiday here 12 years ago first thing I did was to put one in my toilet room at home

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Need the bum gun sure.

Last year we stay on Chwaeng Beach Centara Hotel Koh Samui.

The hotel nice, is quite expensive, but no Bum gun!!!! We never go back there again because of this reason. Even the all cheap hotel in Thailand have the bumgun. 

We ask the staff why not have. They say the farang don’t care, don’t use. Mainly foreign customer. 

For me, this so dirty. If my car go in the mud, should I clean it with paper? Do the good job. Not clean it properly sure. 

Why don’t farang use it? I don’t understand. 

i consulted my chinese friend Far Flung Poo about it,

she has a lot of experience with them,

she knows im not overly tidy, and dont care much for keeping every bathroom i enter shiny, she advised against me using them

52 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

i consulted my chinese friend Far Flung Poo about it,

she has a lot of experience with them,

she knows im not overly tidy, and dont care much for keeping every bathroom i enter shiny, she advised against me using them

I know your friend. 

She is a cousin of Hoo Flung Sh-t.

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I have a strange feeling the common "bum gun" was a late addition to Thailand, I think it may have been used first in Islamic countries 

Certainly the French had the Bidet long before Thailand had the bum gun

They switched to the bum gun after the klongs were filled in to make roads... :coffee1:

Archived