BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Video: TM30: Thailand’s controversial immigration laws and their consequences - FCCT event

Got to give credit to the French Canadian lawyer. @1.26:30 he calls out the general and his subordinates who have basically been refusing to answer the questions and just saying "the law is the law and must be complied with."  He asks why wasn't it the case for 40 years and brings up other instances of non-enforced laws. And reply? None. Passed things off to a comment from the Australian Chamber of Commerce who quickly moved to praise immigration for making things "so much easier." BTW, why no American representative at this forum?  UK, Canada, Australia. No Americans.

I seem to remember years ago the police in france used to go around all the hotels at night and collect copies of the registration cards- no one ever seemed to have a problem with that, I don't know if it still happens- one would think it is computerised if they do. Reporting is hardly a drama unless you make one out of it. 

Just now, Psimbo said:

I seem to remember years ago the police in france used to go around all the hotels at night and collect copies of the registration cards- no one ever seemed to have a problem with that, I don't know if it still happens- one would think it is computerised if they do. Reporting is hardly a drama unless you make one out of it. 

no need to apologize for the xenophobic actions of the thai officials...

Getting much worse as it goes along, frankly. The general is looking very irritated and just short of angry.

@1.33:45 Why implement this rule when TI is already understaffed and overwhelmed with paperwork?  Reply? Here are all the things you must do when you enter Thailand. Essentially, no answer.

The TM reminds me of my trip to Burma in 84. Besides inventorying everything of value in my bag (official exchange rate absurdly low, all official money had to be accounted for); everyone sold Johnny Walker & 555 cigs to taxi drivers for "real fun money", putting my video equipment in storage (1 week visa days...), tourists also had some form had to be filled out on where we stayed, how much paid, etc to be taken to local police for stamp. 

I  like the staff having to work late question and pretty  poor  answer............hey get more  staff or computerise it cut  out the repetition its not rocket science, staff at IO are sick of  it also

32 minutes ago, keith101 said:

I have the yellow residence book does my wife still need to do a TM30 after I return from a golf tour in Pattaya ?

If she for some reason get any ideas that you 'befriended' your caddie, a TM30 report would be a minor issue.

16 minutes ago, zydeco said:

UK, Canada, Australia. No Americans

They dont give a shit, simple.

considering the TM30 is in place for reasons of national security,

considering the number one threat to Thailand's national security are Thai persons,

=> why not extend TM30 to Thai people, requiring them to register all the same as soon as they spend more than 24 hours away from their registered home?

you would see how quickly this nonsense will get scrapped.

17 minutes ago, losworld said:

no need to apologize for the xenophobic actions of the thai officials...

They used to do that in Thailand as well, at least in CM they did (14 years ago)

Interesting. At the end the general says he's already met with the Indians about this last week and the Chinese a month ago. Finally getting around to farangs now. Nice to know we're at the bottom of the totem pole, I guess.

50 minutes ago, Soi Dog said:

This reminds me of when I first visited the USSR in 1984.  I flew into Moscow, took a night train to Kiev and then returned to Moscow on another night train.  When I checked into a Moscow hotel the desk went nuts trying to figure out how I was on my third night in the USSR without having been registered anywhere.

That was in the good old days when commodore 64 revlutionized the world, but those days are all gone … 

Unfortunately this will sooner or later be the New reality and with that in mind then it's better to embrace the TM30 as long as it lasts … :thumbsup:

https://www.nowtheendbegins.com/human-implantable-microchip-tracking-devices-stay/

I wonder just wonder would a terrorist stay anywhere a TM30 was a requirement? Rocket science 🤔