Poisonous snake?

GalaxyMan

2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

It's a Golden Tree snake, you are not going to die... 

Next time just leave them alone ????????

It was in my house! Most likely my great hunter cat bringing me another trophy to approve. Is it at all poisonous? I worry about my cat 'cooking' it if/when she catches it again.

Just found this: Venom Toxicity: Rear fanged mildly venomous snake – but the venom is not known to be dangerous to humans. Just the same, don’t let it bite down on you more than a second or two before you remove it. Don’t give this snake a chance to inject a lot of venom and you’ll likely be just fine if no allergies to it. There have been no confirmed cases of medically significant envenomation with Golden Tree Snakes.

3 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Eat it and let us know if its  poisonous, otherwise  let it be its a beautiful golden tree snake as mentioned, fast as  hell rear fanged  will bite and you  will bleed  but that's  about all that will  happen.

It is beautiful and I wouldn't dream of hurting it unless it was dangerous to me and mine. At least I got it out of the house.

2 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Eat it and let us know if its  poisonous, otherwise  let it be its a beautiful golden tree snake as mentioned, fast as  hell rear fanged  will bite and you  will bleed  but that's  about all that will  happen.

Hopefully so but the experts always advise that the possible complications of a nonvenommous snake bite  includes a retained tooth in the puncture wounds or a wound infection (including tetanus). So do not just simply dismiss it. 

3 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Hopefully so but the experts always advise that the possible complications of a nonvenommous snake bite  includes a retained tooth in the puncture wounds or a wound infection (including tetanus). So do not just simply dismiss it. 

Luckily, I jerked my hand away quickly, but felt the fang(s) scrape the back of my finger without penetrating.

20190816_141813.jpg

are your tetanus injections up to date?

also be aware that their could be bacterial infection from the saliva in snakes mouth, wash thoroughly and if puncture make the wound bleed and run under running water.

Yeah, as above he's a Golden, beautiful, fast, harmless unless you are a small rodent or the like.

They, along with most of the snakes here, are really your friends provided they stay in their domain and out of ours.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, as above he's a Golden, beautiful, fast, harmless unless you are a small rodent or the like.

They, along with most of the snakes here, are really your friends provided they stay in their domain and out of ours.

Apparently there are at least 35 dangerously venomous snakes in Thailand. Where I'm from in Florida, there were 4; cotton-mouth water moccasin, rattlesnake, pygmy rattlesnake, and coral snake. I knew them all very well. Here, I'm a fish out of water when it comes to the snakes and most other critters.

https://www.thailandsnakes.com/southeast-asia-venomous-snakes/thailands-venomous-snakes/

Yeah, it's always best to assume Hissing Sid is venomous when trying to evict him from your domain.

We have a fair few of these :-

medium.jpg?1545328198

He's a Laoatian Wolf Snake, completely harmless.

But easily mistaken for one of these;-

bandedkrait-tom-edited.jpg

A Banded Krait, who will kill you very dead.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, it's always best to assume Hissing Sid is venomous when trying to evict him from your domain.

medium.jpg?1545328198

is that extremely dead, or only a little bit dead. or indeed fatally dead? Saw a BK once, once was enough, nasty looking things and that was in a zoo.   

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

medium.jpg?1545328198

Make a nice belt

2 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Luckily, I jerked my hand away quickly, but felt the fang(s) scrape the back of my finger without penetrating.

20190816_141813.jpg

You probably scared the daylights out of the poor wee snake with that scary looking digit.  Little wonder it gave you a probing nip, after which it spit out the contents.

For future reference, next time bitten by a snake, unless you are certain it is nonvenomous, go to the nearest large  government hospital (provinical level or above unless more than half hour away in which case the nearest district hospital ). Do nto bother with private as they might nto have the antivenom.

Bring picture of the snake or the (dead) snake itself if possible. The poisonous ones usually do nto go far after enevnomation. This is important because antivenoms are snake specific. But don't delay for this purpose, if necessary go ahead yourself and have someone else get the snake and follow with it or its pic.

Some of the poisonous snakes in Thailand have bites that can be fatal in as little as half an hour.

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

For future reference, next time bitten by a snake, unless you are certain it is nonvenomous, go to the nearest large  government hospital (provinical level or above unless more than half hour away in which case the nearest district hospital ). Do nto bother with private as they might nto have the antivenom.

Bring picture of the snake or the (dead) snake itself if possible. The poisonous ones usually do nto go far after enevnomation. This is important because antivenoms are snake specific. But don't delay for this purpose, if necessary go ahead yourself and have someone else get the snake and follow with it or its pic.

Some of the poisonous snakes in Thailand have bites that can be fatal in as little as half an hour.

Immobilise the bitten limb.

Pressure bandage over bite area and above it. 

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Need to be a bit careful when following this advice not to get bitten a second time or have a companion get bitten.  Some good advice here,

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/news-alerts/news/what-to-do-if-you-get-bitten-by-a-snake

"3. Leave the snake alone"

Finally whatever, you do, do not do a John Wayne and suck the venom out.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2003-01-30-0301300101-story.html

image.png.0f7085d74348eef59d93524112ada18b.png

We have one floating around the my house and the neighbors. He got a big tokay the other day and constricted it for about 2 hours before swallowing it whole. I was a little surprised that a snake so small could eat that big of a tokay, but it did and then slithered off to the neighbor's yard.

Sorry... the maid kept a photo diary, but I can't be bothered to hook the phone up to the computer to transfer them (in order to post).

19 hours ago, Chazar said:

Spot on , snakes bite , that is how they survive but they would much rather not be seen . I tried a couple of weeks ago to catch a Golden Tree snake , our cat found it first . Neither of us caught it ,it disappeared over the wall.

Lovely creature , so is the cat.

IMGP1634 (2).JPG

It is not that dangerous for humans.  It does have some venom but it is rear fanged so it doesn't inject it like front fanged snakes do.  You would have to let it chew on you for awhile to get any effect from it.  Even then it probably would not be that bad.

Archived