Poisonous snake?

GalaxyMan

19 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

are your tetanus injections up to date?

also be aware that their could be bacterial infection from the saliva in snakes mouth, wash thoroughly and if puncture make the wound bleed and run under running water.

This is good advice and often forgotten or ignored. All animals, including human, carry symbiotic bacteria in their saliva. However, these bacteria transferred to other areas can cause infection and in some cases, can be difficult to treat, particularly certain strains of streptococcus. Thailand being in the subtropical zone has weather conditions conducive to accelerated bacterial growth.

19 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Apparently there are at least 35 dangerously venomous snakes in Thailand. Where I'm from in Florida, there were 4; cotton-mouth water moccasin, rattlesnake, pygmy rattlesnake, and coral snake. I knew them all very well. Here, I'm a fish out of water when it comes to the snakes and most other critters.

https://www.thailandsnakes.com/southeast-asia-venomous-snakes/thailands-venomous-snakes/

You forgot copperheads.

20 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

It was in my house! Most likely my great hunter cat bringing me another trophy to approve. Is it at all poisonous? I worry about my cat 'cooking' it if/when she catches it again.

I don't know where you are located but there is a Facebook group here called snakes of Pattaya, if you take a pic and post it on there they will usually identify it in a few minutes, one or two of the members will also come and relocate any dangerous ones for free of charge, I believe they have groups located in other parts of Thailand, I recommend that you or anyone else check them out for future reference. ????

1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

We have one floating around the my house and the neighbors. He got a big tokay the other day and constricted it for about 2 hours before swallowing it whole. I was a little surprised that a snake so small could eat that big of a tokay, but it did and then slithered off to the neighbor's yard.

Sorry... the maid kept a photo diary, but I can't be bothered to hook the phone up to the computer to transfer them (in order to post).

Snakes can eat quite big prey, but it doesn't always end well for them. This is a snake our dogs found in the garden:

IMG_20180707_144207.thumb.jpg.e2d88d3665bcaacd10cdadb72ebde1c2.jpg

You can see the leg of a lizard sticking out of the snake where it's stomach burst. The snake was still alive, but died within minutes.

Sophon

I arrived here many years ago and we had many snakes in our garden/jungle. I bought a book on snakes so that I could recognise them. It became very useful. Just this week we had a 2 metre Chinese rat snake, non venomous, in my wife's laundry room and the following day a Malayan Pit Viper, venomous. Something you don't wat to be bitten by. I don't kill snakes. The rat snake made a speedy exit and the viper I deposited well away from the house. If you get snakes get a book.

7 hours ago, Gandtee said:

I arrived here many years ago and we had many snakes in our garden/jungle. I bought a book on snakes so that I could recognise them. It became very useful. Just this week we had a 2 metre Chinese rat snake, non venomous, in my wife's laundry room and the following day a Malayan Pit Viper, venomous. Something you don't wat to be bitten by. I don't kill snakes. The rat snake made a speedy exit and the viper I deposited well away from the house. If you get snakes get a book.

Ditto. Would never harm them (not even the dangerous ones) unless they are threatening me. They are doing a very good job keeping us free of disease ridden rodents. They are almost as good as a cat.

On 8/16/2019 at 8:39 PM, Sheryl said:

For future reference, next time bitten by a snake, unless you are certain it is nonvenomous, go to the nearest large  government hospital (provinical level or above unless more than half hour away in which case the nearest district hospital ). Do nto bother with private as they might nto have the antivenom.

Bring picture of the snake or the (dead) snake itself if possible. The poisonous ones usually do nto go far after enevnomation. This is important because antivenoms are snake specific. But don't delay for this purpose, if necessary go ahead yourself and have someone else get the snake and follow with it or its pic.

Some of the poisonous snakes in Thailand have bites that can be fatal in as little as half an hour.

do you know if all the dangerous snakes in Thailand are listed ?

https://www.snake-antivenin.com/

Or do you think that some antivenom is not available for some snakes ?

just wondering.

A trivia mention'

Some years ago I read a book on Thailand snakes. I cant remember what book it was so I cant go back and reread it. What stuck in my mind was the number 70. There are either 70 varieties of snakes here, or 70% of Thai snakes are poisonous. Since then, I treat them all as poisonous for caution sake. If anyone knows the 70 rule let us know. 

On 8/16/2019 at 2:15 PM, geoffbezoz said:

Hopefully so but the experts always advise that the possible complications of a nonvenommous snake bite  includes a retained tooth in the puncture wounds or a wound infection (including tetanus). So do not just simply dismiss it. 

That makes a lot of sense.

On 8/18/2019 at 5:56 PM, featography said:

A trivia mention'

Some years ago I read a book on Thailand snakes. I cant remember what book it was so I cant go back and reread it. What stuck in my mind was the number 70. There are either 70 varieties of snakes here, or 70% of Thai snakes are poisonous. Since then, I treat them all as poisonous for caution sake. If anyone knows the 70 rule let us know. 

70% aren't dangerous.

There are more than 200 different snakes here, and about 35 are venomous. Im sure only a few people know all the different snakes, so unless you KNOW, just leave it alone, or get someone that Does KNOW. I like to compare snakes to mushrooms, very few people Know what is poisonous, what is venomous.   

Archived