Can a Thai minor with dual nationality, give up their Thai nationality ?

Perhaps to get some conclusive answers you should share some broad detail of 'why', it might make a difference to the answer. 

Your current age might also change the answers.

But don't give any personal name etc., details, never. 

Edited by scorecard

current age ? it says minor ...

I am not Thai my daughter is.

Ex-wife does not want me in this country (even I take care of) or my daughter outside this country.

If my minor daughter could give up her nationality, if possible, we both could overstay and be happily deported to our home country.

12 minutes ago, justin case said:

If my minor daughter could give up her nationality, if possible, we both could overstay and be happily deported to our home country.

There has surely got to be a better way than that. I hope someone comes up with it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, justin case said:

Really?

Do you have full custody? If not, is the mother in agreement with that?

• Like 2

There was another thread less than a year ago not dissimilar to this. It was a HK passport holder (mother) with teenage daughter (Thai / HK) living in HK. The estranged Thai father would not consent to the daughter relinquishing Thai citizenship and had retained the key documents. This meant the daughter could effectively not live in mainland China as a Chinese person as dual nationality is not permitted for Chinese nationals. Dig around, you might find it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

As noted above, both parents would need to consent or you would need a Court order. If both parents are alive and one does not consent there is zero chance of this happening.

It is possible to gain permission to stay in Thailand to look after your Thai daughter (assuming she lives with you and you do actually look after her). There is nothing your ex wife can do about this. Indeed, she wouldn't even be aware of what permission you have to stay in Thailand unless someone tells her.

• Like 2

for info:

mother does not care for the child

does not contact the child

does not visit the child

does not line/voice talk with the child

good thai lawyer:  my lawyer said, unless the mother had beaten the child into the hospital, custody would be shared.... years of insults and minor bruises and other acts of violence , physical or verbal, were not enough

for immigration, you need original blue book (and copies), birth certificate (and copies) and presence of the mother, which of course, my ex wife will do none as this is a way to deny me a stay with my child, I take care for 24/7 until my current visa expires

go explain to IO at airport, that you cannot obtain a "valid" visa because ex-wife is the problem and you have to leave every xx days till some IO will deny you entry...

life could be such more easy without a PSYCHO EX-WIFE

as some person said, as long as both parents are alive ...

sadly, ass.holes seem to live way longer than good people

Edited by justin case
  • Like 1

Cynical response from me again, yet how do you know the child will not turn out just like her mother? Is it worth your grief to go through this? As you say, your visa will eventually run out, then what? The child is sent back to her mother? Did you have a DNA test done on child?

Just something to think about. Don't know your age or plans when you go back to wherever. As you know, raising kids is a full time job. 

Would a registered letter from the child to her mother, stating that as they no longer live together since.....date...and that she requires these documents that regard her, she would like to recieve them in someway. Then when you don,t get an answer is it possibile to get copies of the documents from the relevant offices? Using this as proof.

You need some sort of paper trail that you are the only one looking after the girl, and the mothers not interested. Sooner the better. 

Maybe even personal letters, between her and her mum, taped phone calls. 

There must be a way of getting copies. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, justin case said:

current age ? it says minor ...

I am not Thai my daughter is.

Ex-wife does not want me in this country (even I take care of) or my daughter outside this country.

Can't she just leave the country with you, with the other passport?

2 hours ago, bigginhill said:

The minor, she has dual passports too? Is it possibile for her to travel with you on a foreign passport without the mothers authorization?

passport is in possession of ex since we moved here (10+ years ago) ... psycho ex thinks I will kidnap my child... even she knows my home country would put me in jail and send child back

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Cynical response from me again, yet how do you know the child will not turn out just like her mother? Is it worth your grief to go through this? As you say, your visa will eventually run out, then what? The child is sent back to her mother? Did you have a DNA test done on child?

Just something to think about. Don't know your age or plans when you go back to wherever. As you know, raising kids is a full time job. 

funny how some people think

even I raise my daughter, since birth, even she would not be mine, I still raised her as her father...

so you are saying, you have a child with your wife, after 10+ years you find out the child you raised is not yours but calls you daddy and you have daddy/child memories, you would trash them all...

my child knows her mother is a monster, look up   toxic narcissist....  ex wife has all the signs, ex-wife mother, sister, aunts, all the same

me me me attitude and money

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, justin case said:

funny how some people think

even I raise my daughter, since birth, even she would not be mine, I still raised her as her father...

so you are saying, you have a child with your wife, after 10+ years you find out the child you raised is not yours but calls you daddy and you have daddy/child memories, you would trash them all...

my child knows her mother is a monster, look up   toxic narcissist....  ex wife has all the signs, ex-wife mother, sister, aunts, all the same

I actually know someone who did just that - but after about 2 or 3 years... The guy had 2 kids with the wife. Separated, he got full custody and moved away. After a while did a DNA test and found the younger wan't his. Sent the child back to the mother....

To be honest, I can't understand it. As you said - you raised a child from birth, have parent/child relationship - it is YOUR child and you'd have to be a monster to just throw the child.

As for your case - if the mother is out of contact for extended period, maybe a court can rule in your favor for full custody. And the blue book - I assume the child is registered in the same book as the mother. Maybe you should try to register her in the book of the place you live with her now. I don't think you need mother's signature for this, and even if you do, you can try to appeal for her saying the child have to be registered in that address for schooling purposes. Once you are both registered at the same address you can apply for a visa for supporting the child.

18 hours ago, justin case said:

good thai lawyer:  my lawyer said, unless the mother had beaten the child into the hospital, custody would be shared.... years of insults and minor bruises and other acts of violence , physical or verbal, were not enough

Get another lawyer. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, justin case said:

toxic narcissist....  ex wife has all the signs, ex-wife mother, sister, aunts, all the same

Yes, children should be raised by loving parents, you are doing the right thing , and yet she will still be spending time with her mother and that side of the family unfortunately it seems. 

Very difficult situation and one I have not experienced, so am wrong to give advice, my apologies.  You are trying to do the right thing obviously  

Good luck sir 

19 hours ago, justin case said:

I have heard of desertion by the mother being sufficient for the father to get sole custody. Have you discussed this option with the lawyer?

• Like 1

passport is in possession of ex since we moved here (10+ years ago) ... psycho ex thinks I will kidnap my child... even she knows my home country would put me in jail and send child back

Assuming you have documentary proof of being her father in your possession, you can report the foreign passport being lost at the embassy and apply for  a fresh foreign passport on her behalf. Regarding the foreign country sending her back, they won't if you have proof of the mistreatment of your daughter by her mother. If you don't any right now, maybe you should start planning/collecting those (text messages/circumstantial evidence etc) - every bit of paper counts.

Edited by noisyboy
  • Like 2

Possible to make a visa run and take a flight from another country? Think its easier to try a border.  You can get new temporary passport from your embassy if you or daughter say you lost it.

Edited by sead
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, justin case said:

Sounds like we got the same bitch and going by a lot of posts on here there seems to be a trend . Terrible situation for you and your daughter . Hope all works out for you . Dont let the bastards get you down .  

Edited by Macthehat
Spelling error
  • Like 2

On 8/16/2019 at 10:09 AM, GalaxyMan said:

Parental...is that both-and or either-or?

Would be "both" if not sole custody has been granted by court, which seems like not the case, based on OP's replies.

Same if you request a passport for a Thai minor, both parents need to be present and sign; and also when I requested a dual nationality passport for my daughter from my native home country, both parents needed to be present at the embassy in Bangkok.

Firstly I symathise with you fully, I also have a very bipolar ex. I have my young kids with me too.

But I know you won't get your daughter out of Thailand without the mother agreeing..UNLESS you go the whole way and go for full custody.

All the best to you mate.

Mine just charged me 4000 baht for my eldest's original birth cert so I could do my visa...

21 hours ago, RBOP said:

Get another lawyer. 

Something in that advice didn’t make sense to me.

I don’t subscribe to the views of some on this site that all Thai Lawyers are incompetent, I have a good lawyer, unfortunately as in my own country some are lazy and don’t want difficult cases.

Every Province has a Family Law Court why not visit yours and depending on your Thai language skills take an educated Thai person with you.

You should be able to ascertain your options and probably the name of a lawyer who specializes in these matters

Good luck

• Like 1

As you say, the mother is me, me, money, money, you could offer the mother, money to get all relevant documentation done to get your daughter out, but try not to tell her why,make up some other reason,school etc  ask/tell her how much, maybe up to 1 million then, "go fund me"  could help. just a suggestion.

Edited by brianthainess
add content