Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alfieconn

Is It Illegal To Go Through An Orange Light ?

Recommended Posts

Just received a traffic ticket for going through an red light ( i guess) when the picture within the summons clearly shows that i was over half way across the junction when it turned Red, should i appeal ? can i appeal ? only a 500 baht fine but it's more the principle than the money !

 

 

 

image.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best to have an orange all the way through... you are better to stop quickly here even if it cn increase the danger of being hit from behind cause many of these lights are intentionally timed to close quickly resulting in more revenue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, losworld said:

Best to have an orange all the way through... you are better to stop quickly here even if it cn increase the danger of being hit from behind cause many of these lights are intentionally timed to close quickly resulting in more revenue.

Thanks but you haven't answered any of my questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to stop when the light is orange. However sometimes my wife doesn't even stop when the light is red. YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@OP : how do you know that the second picture was taken exactly when the light turned red?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

when the picture within the summons clearly shows that i was over half way across the junction when it turned Red,

 

No it clearly shows that the light was orange before you entered the junction but doesn't clearly show where you were when it went red !! 

Technically, you should have stopped on the orange light but you do that here at your peril, as 9 times out of 10 there will be someone right up your chuff.. 

I always take a look behind before deciding to stop or not 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a gray zone.

It the light turns yellow (as it is colored elsewhere) you have to break if possible without causing danger.
That's the rule in countries I know (not from Thai law but guess no different).

 

500 Baht is cheap.

I paid 800. A creeping pickup (almost walking speed) before me just made it for the right turn and I followed although the light went yellow before I passed the stopline.

 

Don't appeal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Just received a traffic ticket for going through an red light ( i guess) when the picture within the summons clearly shows that i was over half way across the junction when it turned Red, should i appeal ? can i appeal ? only a 500 baht fine but it's more the principle than the money !

Looking at the photo, all the oncoming traffic had already stopped before you entered the lights. Pay your fines and be prepared  to stop at the yellow next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tgw said:

@OP : how do you know that the second picture was taken exactly when the light turned red?

I don't but neither does anyone looking at the picture !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And BTW: intentionally running alone over such a big junction is crazy dangerous.

There is always this bike/taxi/van/truck that starts BEFORE green.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

If the light turns  red  when you are in the intersection you have broken the law and can receive a citation.

 

Easiest thing is to just fork over the small fine and be thankful Thailand has not yet adopted the point system.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tgw said:

that any car without immediate followers would be required to make an emergency breaking

That is what I call nonsense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to stop at amber, unless it is unsafe to do so. So yes, crossing the intersection with amber lights would most likely be illegal, since it indicates you had plenty of time to stop.

There was a similar discussion here recently BTW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think you should appeal, pls report back with how it went....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...