BANGKOK
alfieconn

Is It Illegal To Go Through An Orange Light ?

7 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Was in CM.

What area?  Hang dong?  Maejo?  San Kamphaeng? 

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Previous thread,

The translated law says "prepare to stop", I was prepared to but didn't as I was able to cross the stop line before the red light. Was I actually breaking the law? 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, 55Jay said:

OP, you're in the right.  All the way, buddy.  Appeal.  Give 'em hell.  Do a follow up post, tell us how it went. 

Sorry, i like a quiet life nowadays 👍

Edited by alfieconn
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's a gray zone.

It the light turns yellow (as it is colored elsewhere) you have to break if possible without causing danger.
That's the rule in countries I know (not from Thai law but guess no different).

500 Baht is cheap.

I paid 800. A creeping pickup (almost walking speed) before me just made it for the right turn and I followed although the light went yellow before I passed the stopline.

Don't appeal!

agree, will cost more in time and stress, 500 B, no demerit points, job done. 

sure most will agree, no face lost here.

9 minutes ago, chang1 said:

The translated law says "prepare to stop", I was prepared to but didn't as I was able to cross the stop line before the red light. Was I actually breaking the law? 

Yes, you were able to stop but did not do so. So you did break the law.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Off topic posts have been removed. This topic is about the Road Traffic Act in Thailand, not the laws of any other country.

Posts with modified quotes have been removed. From the Forum Rules:

Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

Perhaps their camera is set a weee bit early, I mean earlier than say a UK light camera. But for them it is a good earner eh...😊

• Haha 1

Title 2 /Section 22

"Yellow: the driver shall prepare to stop the vehicle behind the stop line. If the driver has passed the stop line when the traffic light turns yellow, he may go through."

You cannot pass through a yellow light unless you passed the stop line when it turned yellow.

I would think speed and road conditions also play a part.

Speed Reaction distance Braking distance
40km/h 17m 9m
50km/h 21m 14m
60km/h 25m 20m

depending on speed and distance from that stop line.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, you were able to stop but did not do so. So you did break the law.

There is no mention of able in the law, it says "prepare". What is the definition of prepare? 

I can be prepared to overtake a car by checking for oncoming traffic, checking my mirrors, checking road conditions and that I can see far enough ahead but even though I am prepared I can still decide not to.

• Sad 1

If you are doing 50kph and 20m before the line the light turns amber you will be stuffed to stop in time with their present rules and getting nicked..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

If you are doing 50kph and 20m before the line the light turns amber you will be stuffed to stop in time with their present rules and getting nicked..

Some lights have countdown timers or like mine flash before changing. I now stop on green if they do this and it is safe to - not that anything is safe on a Thai road.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

I don't but neither does anyone looking at the picture !

Twice in the last year I have had a ticket for going through a orange light. First time I was stopped by the Police after the junction and fined 400 Baht, the cop told me it was illegal to go through orange.

The second incident I got a 500 baht ticket through the mail, when my wife went to pay at the Police station they charged here only 108 Baht - figure that one? So - I would say yes, it is illegal in their eyes, pay the ticket and move on, ridiculous though it is....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, transam said:

No, you won't since you won't get fined.

Posted (edited)

no, it is not illegal, you can argue that it was too late to stop

at orange light. and the traffic law is the same the world over,

the police were in the wrong.

ed: to clarify, as long as your front wheel passed the line the moment the red light comes on, -you are good to go

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1