Is It Illegal To Go Through An Orange Light ?

alfieconn

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No.

If it isn't safe you don't stop. The photo will show that.

No, he went through yellow when he should have stopped, see the photo. Unless he was driving too fast of course and couldn't stop, in which case the excuse is not really strong ????

show me one single video clip when a police in any western country would come up with the idea of trying to bring

an orange light crossing to court.

this is a corrupt police fining legal driving,

or alternatively, he doesnt know traffic law

and should be sent to school as has been suggested recently

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No.

No, he went through yellow when he should have stopped, see the photo. Unless he was driving too fast of course and couldn't stop, in which case the excuse is not really strong ????

Ah, at last....

The only sensible thing to do would be to have the camera take the picture at the exact time that the light turns red. If you crossed the line already you should be OK. Yellow light should be an indicator for drivers to prepare to stop if possible. That's what the law also seems to say. The the only thing the OP should do is ask if the picture is taking when the light turns red or after. If after then it's not evidence for anything.

That's all theory of course. Reality: pay fine and move on ????

15 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

show me one single video clip when a police in any western country would come up with the idea of trying to bring

an orange light crossing to court.

this is a corrupt police fining legal driving,

or alternatively, he doesnt know traffic law

and should be sent to school as has been suggested recently

In South Australia they do but not with cameras.

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

if the light turns  red  when you are in the intersection you have broken the law and can receive a citation.

That's the rule of thumb where I come from. Red-light camera tickets there currently cost $490-$525! (USD)   ...... A 500 bht fine would be a blessing by comparison .

OPs argument appears to be that the photo should show red instead of orange but if Thailand has the same red in the intersection rule printed on paper  then obviously the appeal will be an uphill climb.  Good luck  if you decide to go ahead and fight it......Inquiring minds would like to know how things turn out.

4 minutes ago, Seth1a2a said:

That's the rule of thumb where I come from. Red-light camera tickets there currently cost $490-$525! (USD)   ...... A 500 bht fine would be a blessing by comparison .

OPs argument appears to be that the photo should show red instead of orange but if Thailand has the same red in the intersection rule printed on paper  then obviously the appeal will be an uphill climb.  Good luck  if you decide to go ahead and fight it......Inquiring minds would like to know how things turns out.

"Yellow: the driver shall prepare to stop the vehicle behind the stop line. If the driver has 
passed the stop line when the traffic light turns yellow, he may go through. 
Red: the driver shall stop the vehicle behind the stop line."

So no problem being in the intersection after the light changed. How could that ever work in slow moving traffic anyway?

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

There is timning on these photos, if it takes too long after crossing the photo will be made, within the margin (don't ask me what margin) there will be no photo made.

We have now 2x someone crossing the line on yellow and getting fined, in both cases they were easily able to stop.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

No.

So what speed is to fast ? 60 kph is hardly excessive and being approx 20 meters from the stop line certainly wouldn't be able to stop.

The law says you should prepare to stop on yellow. Which probably means you should stop if you can, if it's not possible, then not.

So it depends on factors which we don't know, because we just see these two pictures.

Let's assume a few things:

- This type of road usually allows 90km/h, so let's say you were driving about 90km/h

- A traffic light at such a place does usually have a 5 second yellow light phase

- The second picture was taken right when it switched to red

- You were about 10m behind the stop line when it was taken

With these assumptions we can do the math:

90km/h means 25m/s. 5 seconds means you travelled about 125 meters while the light was yellow. When the light switched to yellow you were about 115 meters away from the traffic light.

According to some calculator which i found on Google the stopping distance at 90km/h is about 100 meters.

If my assumptions are about correct, then you had enough time to stop which you should have done, by not doing so you broke the law.

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The law says you should prepare to stop on yellow. Which probably means you should stop if you can, if it's not possible, then not.

So it depends on factors which we don't know, because we just see these two pictures.

- This type of road usually allows 90km/h, so let's say you were driving about 90km/h

- A traffic light at such a place does usually have a 5 second yellow light phase

90km/h means 25m/s. 5 seconds means you travelled about 125 meters while the light was yellow. When the light switched to yellow you were about 115 meters away from the traffic light.

According to some calculator which i found on Google the stopping distance at 90km/h is about 100 meters.

If my assumptions are about correct, then you had enough time to stop which you should have done, by not doing so you broke the law.

Show me proof it is a 5 second yellow light phrase.

Not illegal but the light could well have been red when you crossed the white line. Thai technology and Thai situational awareness have similar traits. Perhaps for some reason yours were the same at that particular time.

The fines are peanuts.

13 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Show me proof it is a 5 second yellow light phrase.

Why do i have to show you proof? You are thinking about appealing. As i wrote, it's just an assumption that this is a 5 second yellow light.

Go to the same traffic light and measure how long it shows yellow, and from the time stamps on the pictures estimate how fast you were actually driving.

Then you know if stopping would have been possible. If it turns out that you were able to stop you don't need to appeal. If it turns out that you couldn't reasonably stop i would appeal.

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Why do i have to show you proof? You are thinking about appealing. As i wrote, it's just an assumption that this is a 5 second yellow light.

Go to the same traffic light and measure how long it shows yellow, and from the time stamps on the pictures estimate how fast you were actually driving.

Then you know if stopping would have been possible. If it turns out that you were able to stop you don't need to appeal. If it turns out that you couldn't reasonably stop i would appeal.

So it could have been a ten minutes delay then. Unlikely but I'll assume that's correct.

25 minutes ago, alacrity said:

Not illegal but the light could well have been red when you crossed the white line. Thai technology and Thai situational awareness have similar traits. Perhaps for some reason yours were the same at that particular time.

The fines are peanuts.

No it wasn't.

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

No you didn't write that, you actually said "A traffic light at such a place does usually have a 5 second yellow light phase".

1 minute ago, alfieconn said:

No you didn't write that, you actually said "A traffic light at such a place does usually have a 5 second yellow light phase".

49 minutes ago, jackdd said:

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Wow thats some explanation 

Archived