BANGKOK
alfieconn

Is It Illegal To Go Through An Orange Light ?

34 minutes ago, Almer said:

Now will you get points deducted from your licence, did i hear you say what licence  shame on you sir.

Where did i say this ?

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The law says you should prepare to stop on yellow. Which probably means you should stop if you can, if it's not possible, then not.

So it depends on factors which we don't know, because we just see these two pictures.

Let's assume a few things:

- This type of road usually allows 90km/h, so let's say you were driving about 90km/h

- A traffic light at such a place does usually have a 5 second yellow light phase

- The second picture was taken right when it switched to red

- You were about 10m behind the stop line when it was taken

With these assumptions we can do the math:

90km/h means 25m/s. 5 seconds means you travelled about 125 meters while the light was yellow. When the light switched to yellow you were about 115 meters away from the traffic light.

According to some calculator which i found on Google the stopping distance at 90km/h is about 100 meters.

If my assumptions are about correct, then you had enough time to stop which you should have done, by not doing so you broke the law.

Show me proof it is a 5 second yellow light phrase.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not illegal but the light could well have been red when you crossed the white line. Thai technology and Thai situational awareness have similar traits. Perhaps for some reason yours were the same at that particular time.

The fines are peanuts.

6 hours ago, losworld said:

many of these lights are intentionally timed to close quickly resulting in more revenue.

That is nonsense and is not the reason for ambers changing to red!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Show me proof it is a 5 second yellow light phrase.

Why do i have to show you proof? You are thinking about appealing. As i wrote, it's just an assumption that this is a 5 second yellow light.

Go to the same traffic light and measure how long it shows yellow, and from the time stamps on the pictures estimate how fast you were actually driving.

Then you know if stopping would have been possible. If it turns out that you were able to stop you don't need to appeal. If it turns out that you couldn't reasonably stop i would appeal.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Why do i have to show you proof? You are thinking about appealing. As i wrote, it's just an assumption that this is a 5 second yellow light.

Go to the same traffic light and measure how long it shows yellow, and from the time stamps on the pictures estimate how fast you were actually driving.

Then you know if stopping would have been possible. If it turns out that you were able to stop you don't need to appeal. If it turns out that you couldn't reasonably stop i would appeal.

So it could have been a ten minutes delay then. Unlikely but I'll assume that's correct.

25 minutes ago, alacrity said:

Not illegal but the light could well have been red when you crossed the white line. Thai technology and Thai situational awareness have similar traits. Perhaps for some reason yours were the same at that particular time.

The fines are peanuts.

No it wasn't.

1 minute ago, alfieconn said:

No it wasn't.

are you gonna appeal or not?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

No you didn't write that, you actually said "A traffic light at such a place does usually have a 5 second yellow light phase".

1 minute ago, alfieconn said:

No you didn't write that, you actually said "A traffic light at such a place does usually have a 5 second yellow light phase".

49 minutes ago, jackdd said:

- This type of road usually allows 90km/h, so let's say you were driving about 90km/h

- A traffic light at such a place does usually have a 5 second yellow light phase

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

No it wasn't.

Not doubting you. However can you back up that statement with evidence? Maybe a dashcam file would help.

Pay in peanuts, move on and learn the lesson.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

are you gonna appeal or not?

Hopefully not? The guy did wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

The law says you should prepare to stop on yellow. Which probably means you should stop if you can, if it's not possible, then not.

So it depends on factors which we don't know, because we just see these two pictures.

- The second picture was taken right when it switched to red

- You were about 10m behind the stop line when it was taken

With these assumptions we can do the math:

90km/h means 25m/s. 5 seconds means you travelled about 125 meters while the light was yellow. When the light switched to yellow you were about 115 meters away from the traffic light.

According to some calculator which i found on Google the stopping distance at 90km/h is about 100 meters.

If my assumptions are about correct, then you had enough time to stop which you should have done, by not doing so you broke the law.

Wow thats some explanation 

Get a quality dash cam it will pay dividends when the government realise that fining  drivers of motorised vehicles is a nice little earner Rodders