BANGKOK
alfieconn

Is It Illegal To Go Through An Orange Light ?

35 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

There are no laws in Thailand as such, the law is what a policeman interpretates at the time.

The only real law on Thailands roads is genuine common sense, and if you don't have that, then you

may not survive.

I think we all know that common sense is in short supply amongst Thais especially where road

behaviour is concerned.

There are laws, and the cameras are set to the laws.

18 minutes ago, stevenl said:

There are laws, and the cameras are set to the laws.

Really! I would say he cameras are set to make money for the police tea money fund.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Really! I would say he cameras are set to make money for the police tea money fund.

Of course you would.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Looking at the photo, all the oncoming traffic had already stopped before you entered the lights. Pay your fines and be prepared  to stop at the yellow next time.

also be prepare for a mass pileup when all those thai vehicles who obey the 30cm rule instead of the 3 second rule smashing into the back of you 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Looking at the photo, all the oncoming traffic had already stopped before you entered the lights. Pay your fines and be prepared  to stop at the yellow next 

No. Lights here usually only allow one direction at a time. So the other light is probably about to change from red to green. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

How do you know they weren't on red? A lot of traffic lights operate one direction and right turns. With the queue in the opposite direction it looks like it could be the case here.

I don't, and you could be right. Anyway, it looks as he was very late entering the intersection.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, transam said:

You know how fast or slow he was going then....?

Don't know about his speed, but I'll bet he floored it when he saw the lights turn yellow....

Edited by Vacuum
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Don't know about his speed, but I'll bet he floored it when he saw the lights turned yellow....

Well I usually doooo.....😂

I dont know where you got the ticket seems a bit unfair but yellow means stop. Not that any Thais stop at red. In Pattaya at most of the lights at junctions leading on to the Sukumvidt, the lights only change up to 5 seconds after they go red on the Sukumvidt. This allows all the red light jumpers to clear through.

• Confused 1

This was.from 2012 Land Traffic Act

Section 22 (1000B)
[Meaning of traffic light:
Green: the driver may drive the vehicle through
Yellow: the driver shall prepare to stop the vehicle behind the stop line. If the driver has passed the stop line when the traffic light turns yellow, he may go through.
Red: the driver shall stop the vehicle behind the stop line.

Green Arrow: the driver shall drive according to the direction of the green arrow, but shall be careful to give way to crossing pedestrians or other vehicles.

Blinking Red: the driver shall stop at the stop line and, when it is seen safe, may proceed with care.
Blinking Yellow: the driver shall reduce the speed of the vehicle and proceed through the roadway carefully.]

• Thanks 1

Just pay the fine. Don't do it again, don't be a penny focker and don't waste your and others time unless you're really bored.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, oobar said:

I got a 500 baht ticket for getting caught halfway through on a yellow light.  The picture showed only yellow, no red, and stated the fine was for yellow.  So yellow apparently means no go.  Paid the fine and learned a new lesson about Thai traffic laws.

no, you just learned how that specific corrupt police interpret the law, in lack of knowledge or on purpose to make a buck on you.

no way could this be law that if the light all of a sudden turns yellow, its a no go,

its not possible to come from 90 km/h to full stop in less then a dm,

which is what this law demand.

it was always up to the driver to make the call on the yellow caution light.

only the red is a no go,

you must not cross the line once red is on,

you already got the warning yellow light

alerting you, theres no excuse or pardon for red light

Edited by brokenbone

Posted (edited)

Sorry I haven't read all nine pages but at crossroads ...

It is not illegal to go through an orange light BUT if you don't get through the lights on the other side of the crossroads before those lights change to red you are illegal ...

Edited by JAS21

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:
10 hours ago, oobar said:

I got a 500 baht ticket for getting caught halfway through on a yellow light.  The picture showed only yellow, no red, and stated the fine was for yellow.  So yellow apparently means no go.  Paid the fine and learned a new lesson about Thai traffic laws.

no, you just learned how that specific corrupt police interpret the law, in lack of knowledge or on purpose to make a buck on you.

no way could this be law that if the light all of a sudden turns yellow, its a no go,

its not possible to come from 90 km/h to full stop in less then a dm,

which is what this law demand.

it was always up to the driver to make the call on the yellow caution light.

only the red is a no go,

you must not cross the line once red is on,

you already got the warning yellow light

alerting you, theres no excuse or pardon for red light

Correct.  Everything you say is old knowledge for me, as I am well into my fourth decade of living in Thailand.  However, the automated yellow light flimflam was a new twist, one I can now add to the multi-page list of other LOS scams I usually avoid.

You really want all the hassle o argue a marginal case for 500 baht. I don5 think it’s worth your time.