New Phoenix owner aims to restore wreck, return it to the sea

webfact

New Phoenix owner aims to restore wreck, return it to the sea

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1565933558_1-org.jpg

Preecha Jaiart, who bought the Phoenix wreck at auction earlier this month, aims to restore the Phoneix and send her back to bottom of the sea. Photo: Preecha Jaiart

PHUKET: The Phuket man who bought the wreck of the fateful Phuket tour boat Phoenix at auction earlier this month aims to restore the boat and then sink it at the same location where it fell beneath the waves in July last year, killing 47 Chinese tourists, as a way of making merit.

Preecha Jaiart, who operates the Truck2hand.com website for selling secondhand heavy vehicles, including trucks, buses, vans and boats, conducted several merit-making ceremonies on the boat at Rattanachai Shipyard on the east side of Phuket Town yesterday (Aug 15).

Mr Preecha bought the salvaged wreck of the Phoenix for B905,000 at an auction held in Phuket on Aug 7.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/new-phoenix-owner-aims-to-restore-wreck-return-it-to-the-sea-72534.php#kx7UyQw27VpOviCs.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-08-16

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The Phuket man who bought the wreck of the fateful Phuket tour boat Phoenix at auction earlier this month aims to restore the boat and then sink it at the same location where it fell beneath the waves in July last year, killing 47 Chinese tourists, as a way of making merit.

Will he be given 'permission' to dump a boat on the seabed?

Making merit - isn't that like trying to buy your way to heaven - I thought in the alleged civilised world that went out with Martin Luther and his argument with the catholic church in the 16th century?

Still if he's gullible, the government were happy to accept his money.

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Instead of wasting money buying a wreck and then sinking it.......why not donate the large sum to a needy cause that genuinely helps the poor or sick?

Since when is a total waste of money making merit?

Point taken however maybe he had strong concerns that someone would buy it, tart it up and return it to tour operations so he decided on this route to make sure it was never used again as a tour boat and as a means of making merit for the 47 poor souls lost when it sank. But of course a very expensive exercise. 

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Instead of wasting money buying a wreck and then sinking it.......why not donate the large sum to a needy cause that genuinely helps the poor or sick?

For understanding that, you have to take time, sit down and understand Thai culture and traditions.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Why would he talk about Restore the boat and then sink it. Seems a bit crazy. Yes ... sink it fine. Restore ???

There is a disgrace to make merit with something that the restless souls still in the water where it sank can´t live comfortable in.

Buying it and sinking it is fine. It should make a nice home for coral and fish in a decade or so. But to waste money restoring it is asinine. As has basically been suggested, donate that money instead to a worthy cause or buy something substantial for the victims' families. 

(It just occurred to me that use of the word "restore" is probably wrong. What I think they mean to say is that it will be "repaired" (enough to get it back out to sea). To talk about restoring something gives the impression of putting all back to original condition, and that truly would be crazy.) 

By buying the boat he has prevented it from being refurbished and used under a new name, or being broken up and sold for parts/scrap. He believes that this is a way to show respect to the dead.

IMHO it's a pity that the government didn't have a plan for the respectable disposal of the Phoenix - the cost would be a fraction of the fines/penalties collected from the owners of the boat.

Preecha Jaiart appears to be acting from genuine motives, so I can't see any reason to criticize his actions.

But, to misquote a well known adage, "No good deed goes un-criticized".

16 hours ago, edwinchester said:

You missed his thinking. He will charge Chinese tourists money to go out to the memorial site.

10 hours ago, Inn Between said:

Buying it and sinking it is fine. It should make a nice home for coral and fish in a decade or so. But to waste money restoring it is asinine. As has basically been suggested, donate that money instead to a worthy cause or buy something substantial for the victims' families. 

(It just occurred to me that use of the word "restore" is probably wrong. What I think they mean to say is that it will be "repaired" (enough to get it back out to sea). To talk about restoring something gives the impression of putting all back to original condition, and that truly would be crazy.) 

“Next, I want to restore the Phoenix to be good condition like it used to be, and return it back to the sea where the boat lay on the seabed"
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/new-phoenix-owner-aims-to-restore-wreck-return-it-to-the-sea-72534.php#WWGDDc3WWjUKOUuv.99

17 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Will he be given 'permission' to dump a boat on the seabed?

Making merit - isn't that like trying to buy your way to heaven - I thought in the alleged civilised world that went out with Martin Luther and his argument with the catholic church in the 16th century?

I think that some aspects of making merit in Buddhism make more sense than buying indulgences in the Catholic Church. 

14 minutes ago, Catoni said:
17 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I think that some aspects of making merit in Buddhism make more sense than buying indulgences in the Catholic Church. 

In the "civilized world" many religious sheep pay a tithe of 10 percent to avoid being accused of robbing god. 

I don't know if their god is the one who gets to spend it.

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

In the "civilized world" many religious sheep pay a tithe of 10 percent to avoid being accused of robbing god. 

I don't know if their god is the one who gets to spend it.

Nope! Their god doesn’t get to spend it.

We just need to have a good heart. You can make much merit even just buying a starving person a meal, help pay for a child’s education, help a poor family in a village get a squat toilet installed, maybe new siding or roof installed,  help them get needed protective vaccinations like against Tetanus etc. 

We can’t help everyone, but each of us can help at least one family living in poverty through no fault of their own. 

When my time here is over, I want to leave the world a bit better place because I was here. 

On 8/16/2019 at 4:58 PM, edwinchester said:

I watch the millions of baht every month being donated to the temples in the "making merit" scheme.

The boat is peanuts compared to the wasted millions given at temples... 

IMHO

21 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Maybe it's about publicity,for him and his company.otherwise it makes no sense at all. 

regards worgeordie

On 8/16/2019 at 9:08 AM, scorecard said:

Point taken however maybe he had strong concerns that someone would buy it, tart it up and return it to tour operations so he decided on this route to make sure it was never used again as a tour boat and as a means of making merit for the 47 poor souls lost when it sank. But of course a very expensive exercise. 

And you have spoken to the person and are aware of his intentions?

I wonder "how" the Chinese Gov't led this fiasco slide....typical of incompetent Thais who should never had led to this...amazing....."IF" I were the Chinese gov't There would have been a warning. Yet those Communist <deleted> think nothing of inquistion. As usual.....all idiots. Thank God, I'm not Asian.:)

5 minutes ago, TMNH said:

And you have spoken to the person and are aware of his intentions? are you kidding me? Merit? I wouldn't touch that boat with a ten- foot-pole. "Yet" I'm sure there are Thais who look for a bargain. part of my point.Different cultures yes, but I will be damned to adopt

another culture when it goes against my ethics. So all of the expats who think it is ok for sex, yet not stray dogs...I understand it's out of control.When a nation does not curb : screwing- stray whomever, then this is a surprise?

Archived