BANGKOK
webfact

New Phoenix owner aims to restore wreck, return it to the sea

4 hours ago, kotsak said:

Who would have guessed..

Did you actually READ the story? Nope, didn't think so. He's going to sink it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Instead of wasting money buying a wreck and then sinking it.......why not donate the large sum to a needy cause that genuinely helps the poor or sick?

Since when is a total waste of money making merit?

For understanding that, you have to take time, sit down and understand Thai culture and traditions.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Why would he talk about Restore the boat and then sink it. Seems a bit crazy. Yes ... sink it fine. Restore ???

There is a disgrace to make merit with something that the restless souls still in the water where it sank can´t live comfortable in.

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Psimbo said:
5 hours ago, kotsak said:

Who would have guessed..

Did you actually READ the story? Nope, didn't think so. He's going to sink it.

Did I say otherwise? 😏 🙂

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, kotsak said:

Did I say otherwise? 😏 🙂

You implied otherwise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Buying it and sinking it is fine. It should make a nice home for coral and fish in a decade or so. But to waste money restoring it is asinine. As has basically been suggested, donate that money instead to a worthy cause or buy something substantial for the victims' families. 

(It just occurred to me that use of the word "restore" is probably wrong. What I think they mean to say is that it will be "repaired" (enough to get it back out to sea). To talk about restoring something gives the impression of putting all back to original condition, and that truly would be crazy.) 

Edited by Inn Between
  • Like 2

By buying the boat he has prevented it from being refurbished and used under a new name, or being broken up and sold for parts/scrap. He believes that this is a way to show respect to the dead.

IMHO it's a pity that the government didn't have a plan for the respectable disposal of the Phoenix - the cost would be a fraction of the fines/penalties collected from the owners of the boat.

Preecha Jaiart appears to be acting from genuine motives, so I can't see any reason to criticize his actions.

But, to misquote a well known adage, "No good deed goes un-criticized".

• Like 1