Does renting a room require permit?

My wife is considering renting out a room or two in our house.  I know a TM-30 would be required for foreigner stay but wonder if a permit from the government is also required?  Tax forms to complete?

Not looking for speculation of the "rules" - just experience/knowledge of government branch we need to contact or...?

If you rent out for less than 30 days you will either need a hotel or homestay license.

For your case this would then obviously a homestay. I don't know the details, but if you look it up on Google you will probably find something.

The government helpline 1111 is not bad for such basic things, just have your wife call them and ask about it, they can probably give you some infos.

34 minutes ago, TG911 said:

You want to get 2 strangers living in your house? Or is it a separate house from where you live in?

Why not? We've had maids live in our house(s) for 17 years. Some stay a few months (weeks) and some a few years. Our current maid has been here at least 4 (I forgot exactly when she came). I can't see any real difference. And how about when I send my son off to college? He'll have 'strangers' for roommates. Not much difference.  You try to vet them and then keep an eye on your valuables. Some maids stole. My wife caught them...  It's life.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:36 AM, bankruatsteve said:

I know a TM-30 would be required for foreigner stay but wonder if a permit from the government is also required?

To my understanding, there is a limit in number of rooms for rent, before a license is needed.

If you have "private guests" staying in your spare gust-rooms, you will also need to register by TM30, but no license is needed...????

“Any residential premises open to the public for rental with no more than 4 rooms on all floors in aggregate whether in a single building or in several buildings, and with a total service capacity of 20 guests, operating as a small business which provides an additional source of income for the owners” is exempt from the Hotel Act. The owners of such premises are also required to report to the Hotel Registrar but do not require a Hotel License and do not have to comply with all requirements for hotels.

Source: Legal Aspects on renting out a condominium unit on AirBnB in Thailand

Step 2: Licensing

The number of licenses that should be obtained prior to commencement of business operation depends on the facilities and services provided by hotel.

Any hotel that has more than 4 rooms or may accommodate more than 20 guests must obtain a license to operate a hotel business from the Department of Provincial Administration for hotels located in Bangkok, or from the Provincial Governor’s Office for other areas.

Hotels that provide catering or restaurant services must obtain a Permit for Selling Food, Liquors and Cigarettes.

An entertainment permit must be secured by any hotel that provides conference room services or has places of entertainment, such as pubs, clubs, bars and spas.

Source: Siam Legal - Hotel Business in Thailand

Archived