Not for sale: Danish MPs ridicule idea of Trump buying Greenland

webfact

20 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I think it’s the lure of a pristine environment, it’s too good for him not to at least try and mess up.

Nah, he's swallowed the green guff about the ice melting and is after gas and oil.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Morch said:

And yet, you don't see a whole lot of them "imported brains" heading for Denmark.

It's fine denigrating the USA, especially with the current President being what he is. Letting this narrative overcome fact, less so.

Partly you are right.

But. but .... it seems you have forgotten that so many people - nearly half of the electorate - are stupid enough to chose Trump. That's a fact. That means the average American is much more stupid than the better educated Dane. In Denmark, a man like your blockhead Trump would never have a chance to be elected as the leader of the legislature. One reason why the Greenlander prefer Denmark.

It seems- not enough imported brains in the USA :crying: ?!

It's the money and more research freedom, why "brains" like to go to the USA.

20 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Oh dear, surely not even POTUS could seriously believe that the people would prefer the USA to Denmark.

They have a stable economy, understand social justice, have world class health care  and education.

What drugs does the POTUS indulge in when his thumbs stop moving?

I'm not sure about the drugs he indulges in.... and I certainly don't want to think about where his "thumbs" end up when he's not using them to tweet absurdities.

14 minutes ago, puck2 said:

Partly you are right.

But. but .... it seems you have forgotten that so many people - nearly half of the electorate - are stupid enough to chose Trump. That's a fact. That means the average American is much more stupid than the better educated Dane. In Denmark, a man like your blockhead Trump would never have a chance to be elected as the leader of the legislature. One reason why the Greenlander prefer Denmark.

It seems- not enough imported brains in the USA :crying: ?!

It's the money and more research freedom, why "brains" like to go to the USA.

I kinda doubt all the people who voted for Trump are stupid. That would be your view - and you probably wouldn't bother substantiating it in any meaningful way. It also doesn't "mean" squat as to others being "better educated". In fact, making such an inference is kinda ironic.

And for the umpteenth time. Trump is not "my" anything.

You can make up nonsense all you like, but there are plenty of top notch American academics and researchers. And while you may not like it, that's were many smart people choose to further their education - rather than somewhere like Denmark.

1 hour ago, White Christmas13 said:

The reason, in large part, is likely that Greenland is rich in natural resources, including iron ore, lead, zinc, diamonds, gold, rare-earth elements, uranium and oil, according to the Brookings Institution, a nonprofit public-policy organization in Washington, D.C.

It is also rich in trapped methane gas in the ice sheet.

• "A key finding is that much of the methane produced beneath the ice likely escapes the Greenland Ice Sheet in large, fast flowing rivers before it can be oxidized to CO2, a typical fate for methane gas which normally reduces its greenhouse warming potency." https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190103110300.htm

Full resource development of Greenland will greatly accelerate methane release, further affecting global climate change (good for Mars, not good for Earth).

Furthermore, unrestricted industrialization of Greenland will also accelerate ice sheet melting that could become a major factor in sea-level rise around the world within two decades. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/21/climate/greenland-ice.html

20 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Nah...because the 'news articles' all say "reportedly"..."according to sources" etc.

Probably some joke he cracked....but was fed to MSM because they're in cahoots with

Dems.

So reality is in cahoots with the Democrats , seems reasonable to me though I can see why the orange monkey army might object.

"They call it Greenland.  Fake news!  It's white. Very, very white!  Believe me, I know colours and this one is white.  It's the perfect colour for America to buy.  They love me there.  Millions turn up, and the sun always shines every time I fly over it!  Buy Greenland, MAWA!

21 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

"They call it Greenland.  Fake news!  It's white. Very, very white!  Believe me, I know colours and this one is white.  It's the perfect colour for America to buy.  They love me there.  Millions turn up, and the sun always shines every time I fly over it!  Buy Greenland, MAWA!

Very good:)

21 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

Centuries ago a lot of Europe's lowest of the lowest went to Greenland, thinking it was green. Arrived they found out it was not. Realizing they were fooled they made a left turn and went to America. 

Are you aware that you are talking about Vikings...????

Greenland deal is off, and replaced by this...????

Denmark Offers to Buy U.S.

Borowitz--Denmark.jpg

COPENHAGEN (The Borowitz Report)—After rebuffing Donald J. Trump’s hypothetical proposal to purchase Greenland, the government of Denmark has announced that it would be interested in buying the United States instead.

“As we have stated, Greenland is not for sale,” a spokesperson for the Danish government said on Friday. “We have noted, however, that during the Trump regime pretty much everything in the United States, including its government, has most definitely been for sale.”

“Denmark would be interested in purchasing the United States in its entirety, with the exception of its government,” the spokesperson added...

Read the full The New Yorker article here.

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

Greenland deal is off, and replaced by this...????

Denmark Offers to Buy U.S.

Borowitz--Denmark.jpg

COPENHAGEN (The Borowitz Report)—After rebuffing Donald J. Trump’s hypothetical proposal to purchase Greenland, the government of Denmark has announced that it would be interested in buying the United States instead.

“As we have stated, Greenland is not for sale,” a spokesperson for the Danish government said on Friday. “We have noted, however, that during the Trump regime pretty much everything in the United States, including its government, has most definitely been for sale.”

“Denmark would be interested in purchasing the United States in its entirety, with the exception of its government,” the spokesperson added...

Read the full The New Yorker article here.

Well if it occurred not only a descent health care system, and superior education, but what USA has always wanted, bone fide Royalty to gush over

On 8/16/2019 at 4:39 PM, Bluespunk said:

I’m still astonished that trump doesn’t drink.

Half of what he says is akin to the ramblings of an alcoholic at 3.00 in the morning. 

However, surely even he isn’t this stupid. 

Though the fact this story is even circulating shows just how little credibility this disgrace of a president has. 

Huh, I was wrong...he really is that stupid. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/18/trump-considering-buying-greenland

On 8/16/2019 at 4:37 PM, JHolmesJr said:

I don't put any stock in this news. 

This is from the NY Post. Rupert Murdoch's newspaper and an ardent Trump supporter.

Kudlow confirms Trump wants to buy Greenland

White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow didn’t pour any cold water Sunday on President Trump’s flirtation with buying Greenland.

“I don’t want to predict an outcome, I’m just saying the president, who knows a thing or two about buying real estate, wants to take a look at a Greenland purchase,” Kudlow told Dana Perino on “Fox News Sunday.”

https://nypost.com/2019/08/18/kudlow-confirms-trump-wants-to-buy-greenland/

On 8/16/2019 at 7:45 PM, HeyHeyHey said:

I don't know, the last time I checked the majority of the best universities in the world were in the US.

And what good does that do most Americans?

Student loan debt hurting most Americans' retirement savings, study finds

Outstanding student loan debt is on the rise in the U.S. —  in June, it nearly hit $1.6 trillion, a record amount — and more Americans are delaying savingOpens a New Window.for retirementOpens a New Window. as a result.

A staggering 84 percent of American adults reported that student loans are hurting the amount they’re able to save for retirement, according to new research conducted by the MIT AgeLab and published by the Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America-College Retirement Equities Fund (TIAA). About three out of four borrowers said they’re putting off maximizing their retirement savings, instead focusing on paying off their student loan debt.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/student-loan-debt-americans-retirement-savings

On 8/16/2019 at 7:45 PM, HeyHeyHey said:

I don't know, the last time I checked the majority of the best universities in the world were in the US.

They also don't tax you 60%

And can you remind me the worldwide recognized companies Denmark produced? Few US ones come to my mind without even thinking

Currently the tax rate is 55.8 percent. And the Danes get great value for their tax dollars. Free and excellent education. Great Health Care.

As for business:

The World Bank rated Denmark #3 in the world in regards to ease of doing business. Ahead of the USA.

https://www.doingbusiness.org/en/data/exploreeconomies/denmark

As for high tech

How Denmark is Leading the Next Technology Agenda

https://thinkers50.com/blog/how-denmark-is-leading-the-next-technology-agenda/

On 8/17/2019 at 2:13 AM, JHolmesJr said:

Got a link? ????????????

You're absolutely right for challenging that notion that it was a fake leak from the Trump administration. Turns out it was true. And it's great to see that you finally acknowledge the importance of links.

Archived