Question about Health Insurance Requirement

I am on retirement visa living in thailand (800k+ option). Soon I will have to do the 1 year extension again.I am 68 + years old.

1)  Do I need Healthe insurance ?

2) Is there any health insurance provider for my age (68+)?

Thank you

11 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

You do not need it for an Extension of Stay. 

Yet !!

Thank you for your kind reply.I am just confused with all this new laws and orders.

Edited by Jack13

1 minute ago, justin case said:

great rules, right... you are 50+ and don't need insurance

you are 50+ on a non-oa and you need insurance

what a wonderful world

Well at least you got two things right!

• Haha 1

Many expats come to work in Thailand. When they stop work neither their employer nor manpower agency tell them you can voluntarily under Article 39 continue to pay into SSO and receive six benefits for 432 Baht per month (for life). But to qualify you have to work more than 1 year and enter before age 60. 837780061_Screenshot_20190817-100546_AcrobatforSamsung.thumb.jpg.73d13aa14656b335e8535d30cfef7d51.jpg

I've heard others say you have to apply within 3 months or loose it. But when I was at SSO last week the guy said one month. But he may be wrong too.

Sorry this doesn't help the OP case but maybe others.

Edited by RBOP

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

and how many exclusions; lots I bet? 

No, only Prostate as I told them about my slight enlargement discovered 5 years ago. I was silly to tell them. I do not take any medication for it. However, most men die 'with' prostate cancer than 'from' it, so I am not worrying. All the rest is covered.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

No, only Prostate as I told them about my slight enlargement discovered 5 years ago. I was silly to tell them. I do not take any medication for it. However, most men die 'with' prostate cancer than 'from' it, so I am not worrying. All the rest is covered.

A policy I just took also included that 'exclusion' without any history whatsoever. They also put in exclusions relating to a broken wrist of some years ago which is fully healed, as if I might want to break it again on purpose. Some way to reduce risk numbers I guess.

• Like 1

Pacific Cross will issue you with cover up to age 75. A full medical is required for 65 and older. Once accepted they will cover you til death. Also if you've had any kind of treatment more than 5 years ago, don't tell them, they will add exclusions. I had arthroscopies to both knees in 1989 to remove some floating cartilage. So they won't cover anything to do with my knees unless bones are broken or fractured.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Pacific Cross will issue you with cover up to age 75. A full medical is required for 65 and older. Once accepted they will cover you til death. Also if you've had any kind of treatment more than 5 years ago, don't tell them, they will add exclusions. I had arthroscopies to both knees in 1989 to remove some floating cartilage. So they won't cover anything to do with my knees unless bones are broken or fractured.

I chose Pacific Cross after much research. I’ve got quite a few pre-existing conditions/issues but I was pleasantly surprised with the minimal list of exclusions and yearly cost 

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

46 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

I chose Pacific Cross after much research. I’ve got quite a few pre-existing conditions/issues but I was pleasantly surprised with the minimal list of exclusions and yearly cost 

I rejected Pacific Cross because of total exclusion of any prostate trouble, and three year wait for any coronary, joint or back pain or urinary infections even though the Medical tests I had done were 100% good. They wanted 65k plus 40k excess to cover up to 1.2M Bht. So a first year claim would cost me 105k.  Cigna Bht 120k, no excess with cover up to 12M Bht. I am happy with it.

On 8/17/2019 at 10:52 AM, wgdanson said:

Try to ask next year if they can remove the exclusion. I had also an exclusion on the wife policy and after 2 years without anything, they have removed this exclusion! Before Cigna Close care.. but now changed to Cigna Silver. The Contract start stays same... not made a new start date.. as the Insurance company Cigna stays same. 

And at least this is one of the bigger Insurance companies which seems to be more or less fair.

25 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Try to ask next year if they can remove the exclusion. I had also an exclusion on the wife policy and after 2 years without anything, they have removed this exclusion! Before Cigna Close care.. but now changed to Cigna Silver. The Contract start stays same... not made a new start date.. as the Insurance company Cigna stays same. 

And at least this is one of the bigger Insurance companies which seems to be more or less fair.

Yes, they told me that I can contest the exclusion after a year. Is Cigna Silver any different than Close Care please?

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Yes, they told me that I can contest the exclusion after a year. Is Cigna Silver any different than Close Care please?

The Silver Plan is better than the close care plan of them... Close care, If remember correct have about 200K US$ per Incident and 400K per year or something like that... with Silver you have 1million US$ per year. But of course it's also a little bit more expensive. But in my case I was thinking it's worth it. Even the close care Plan I think is already nice. I was especially wondering as the second year the close care became cheaper. This not happens a lot. There were a few more things different, but I also would need to check again as I not remember them as of now.

There are then the Gold and I think Platinum as well, which will even pay more and also includes outpatient. Which would be nice, but in my opinion not worth the extra money.

1 minute ago, HampiK said:

The Silver Plan is better than the close care plan of them... Close care, If remember correct have about 200K US$ per Incident and 400K per year or something like that... with Silver you have 1million US$ per year. But of course it's also a little bit more expensive. But in my case I was thinking it's worth it. Even the close care Plan I think is already nice. I was especially wondering as the second year the close care became cheaper. This not happens a lot. There were a few more things different, but I also would need to check again as I not remember them as of now.

There are then the Gold and I think Platinum as well, which will even pay more and also includes outpatient. Which would be nice, but in my opinion not worth the extra money.

Before I took out the Close Care Policy, I asked the 'salesman' in Dubai how much the premiums were likely to increase as does my age. All I can say is 'I hope I die before I get old'. In 10 years it will be £4500 not £3131.

On 8/18/2019 at 7:38 PM, wgdanson said:

Before I took out the Close Care Policy, I asked the 'salesman' in Dubai how much the premiums were likely to increase as does my age. All I can say is 'I hope I die before I get old'. In 10 years it will be £4500 not £3131.

Yes, they premiums goes up with age a lot. But if you have a serious illness then it's still worth the £4'500.

At the end an Insurance is always a gamble. The best is, when you lose (paid but never used it) because then  mean you had a good life. Of course then you could say (as many I see here) it would be better not to choose an Insurance at all.

It's the system of an Insurance... many pay for a few which really become a big Illness! 

• Like 1