Elite visa (PE) expiration date

Hi All

I have a 5 year PE visa that is about to expire shortly, according to the written date on the visa (26th August).
However it seems like my membership expired already, unknown to me my membership started one month before actually getting the visa.

Elite membership service is now telling me that visa is invalid due to membership expiry date even though the date on the visa itself is still within date.
Does anyone know if this could indeed be the case? That my visa is invalid even though the date written on the visa is still good?
I think they are trying to pull a fast one me for me to fork up some more money already, but it would be an unwelcomed surprise if I try to enter using the visa and get denied.

Edited by Granit

Your visa is still valid for one more one year entry on or before the  26th of this month.

I think they start the membership when they do the welcome letter. Probably not unusual for the the membership to expire before the visa. The only thing you have lost is the perks you get from membership.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Your visa is still valid for one more one year entry on or before the  26th of this month.

I think they start the membership when they do the welcome letter. Probably not unusual for the the membership to expire before the visa. The only thing you have lost is the perks you get from membership.

Thanks ubonjoe, I thought so.
They are trying to pull a fast one. Referencing immigration regulation, not specifying any further then that.

I'll update here again in a few days after I have arrived if anyone else encountering the same thing.

5 minutes ago, Granit said:

Thanks ubonjoe, I thought so.
They are trying to pull a fast one. Referencing immigration regulation, not specifying any further then that.

I'll update here again in a few days after I have arrived if anyone else encountering the same thing.

If you go out / in before 26 August you should get another year on the visa.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Granit said:

Does anyone know if this could indeed be the case? That my visa is invalid even though the date written on the visa is still good?

I suppose TE could ask immigration to cancel the visa and any permit to stay as you’re no longer a member, but the visa is valid for use until expired or cancelled.

Immigration at passport control would have no idea, or way of knowing that, your TE membership has expired and should give you a new 1 year stay permit.

I am sure TE are not happy that someone can get 6 years out of one visa, and wouldn’t be surprised if they do something about that in the future now many of the initial 5 year visas are starting to expire.

• Haha 1

When looking at the official rules: http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/law/law2/%a402/%a402-2e-2556-a0005.htm

It does indeed look like they are right, you should not be able to get a one year permission to stay from your visa after your membership ends.

But in reality the IO just sees your visa which is still valid and will stamp you in for another year.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Granit said:

Update:
So I have returned to Thailand and I did indeed get a one year permit to stay stamp upon entry even though I was no longer a member.

Now I will try to obtain a re-entry permit on this so I can return again from my next work assignment. Update to follow if I can get a re-entry on this.

That is as expected because immigration do no know you are no longer a member.

The issue is whether or not — if discovered — immigration or TE do anything about it.

On 8/30/2019 at 1:40 PM, elviajero said:

That is as expected because immigration do no know you are no longer a member.

The issue is whether or not — if discovered — immigration or TE do anything about it.

Not sure, but wouldn't this be exactly the same as getting a second year on the O-A visa?

• Thanks 1

2 questions

1. What does PE mean? I know TE means thailand Elite

2. Does a TE visa require reentry permits? I thought you could come and go as much as you please getting 1 year extensions each time up until the expiration of the entire visa?

46 minutes ago, wasabi said:

2 questions

Privilege Entry

46 minutes ago, wasabi said:

2. Does a TE visa require reentry permits? I thought you could come and go as much as you please getting 1 year extensions each time up until the expiration of the entire visa?

Stay permits are issued beyond the expiry date of the visa so you need a re-entry permit if you want to exit/enter and keep such a stay permit alive. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 11:42 PM, wasabi said:

2 questions

PE means privileged entry, and is the type of visa that TE issues. There is no such thing as a TE visa.

Edited by Granit

Update:

So I went to immigration today to file a TM30 and try to get a re-entry permit.
TM30 went fine after 3 hours in queue (as expected).

Then it was time to try for a re-entry permit, it was refused by split decision. One officer say ok, can do. But two of them said cannot. So in the end I did not get a re-entry permit.
Will try it again in the airport next time I leave. Will update this tread when I do. Although I am not sure when that will be, stay tuned.

Thank you for the update.

Just to clarify, they didn't question the validity of your stay permit right? As it is uncharted territories, any info can be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, Granit said:

Update:

Then it was time to try for a re-entry permit, it was refused by split decision. One officer say ok, can do. But two of them said cannot. So in the end I did not get a re-entry permit.
Will try it again in the airport next time I leave. Will update this tread when I do. Although I am not sure when that will be, stay tuned.

That is interesting, I'm using the 'extra year' on my now expired 5 year visa since entering Thailand in April. I flew out well inside my membership duration (it expired in June) and got s 2 year stamp when I returned, this is an extra 10 months on top of the membership length. I made sure to go before the membership expired as well as the visa, just in case.

When I did my 90 day report in July (a month after my visa expired) they noticed the expired visa and mentioned that if I want to leave the country whilst my entry stamp is still valid but before I get my next visa then I will need to get a re-entry permit.

I not planning on going anywhere for the next few years anyway.

13 hours ago, Granit said:

Update:

So do you believe 2 of the IOs felt a re-entry permit could not be issued in accordance with the Permit To Stay stamped date? Normally, in the early years of a PE, a re-entry permit would not be necessary.  On an entry just prior to expiration, and subsequent stamped one year Permit to stay, they are checking the PE Visa expiry date, and if expired, no further entry (Re-Entry)  based on that expired Visa, is allowed. 

Interesting feedback. 

Edited by jacko45k

• 1 month later...

Another update:
So I tried going to a different immigration office, and they issued me a multiple re-entry permit without making any fuss about it. Next will be to try and re enter the kingdom using this re-entry permit.

I never had a re-entry permit in the past, can anyone advise if I need to show the original, now expired visa also, or just the re-entry permit? my original visa is in an old passport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Granit said:

Another update:
So I tried going to a different immigration office, and they issued me a multiple re-entry permit without making any fuss about it. Next will be to try and re enter the kingdom using this re-entry permit.

I never had a re-entry permit in the past, can anyone advise if I need to show the original, now expired visa also, or just the re-entry permit? my original visa is in an old passport.

You should carry the old passport with the visa too as the IO may well want to see it.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if Thailand Elite would refuse additional 5 year visas for someone who used the 'extra year' then went to renew? I was thinking of doing the extra year myself if I decide to get the 5 year visa instead of a longer one but I wouldn't want to have trouble down the road. 

1 hour ago, wasabi said:

I wonder if Thailand Elite would refuse additional 5 year visas for someone who used the 'extra year' then went to renew? I was thinking of doing the extra year myself if I decide to get the 5 year visa instead of a longer one but I wouldn't want to have trouble down the road. 

I doubt it — they want/need the money. 

IMO if many people do this they will close the loophole and stop people getting the extra year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 12:58 AM, Granit said:

Another update:

My PE is also coming due, greatly appreciate if anyone could PM me locations that approves multiple re-entry or try to get re-entry upon leaving at BKK/DMK airports?

On 11/15/2019 at 8:42 PM, wasabi said:

Definitely not, I renewed mine during the 6th year, no problems. I pointed out that I'm in the 6th year and apart from that it wasn't mentioned at all.

Edited by ukrules