Yet another TM30 nightmare story

jbob

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

When was that?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Around 18 months ago. Since then I have been abroad 3 times and out of province several times and never completed a TM30. The last time I went abroad was April/May this year and I did my 90 day report last week, 90 days after my return.

I have always found the staff at Jomtien nothing but polite and helpful. The only exception being the lady on desk 8 (marriage extensions) who seems to be permanently on her periods. Luckily I don't have to speak to her as I'm on a retirement extension.

8 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

I can't see you having any problems. It's a national "crackdown on TM30s. Seen many "crackdowns, they never last very long. Just the new boss flexing his muscles, he'll learn.

Had an identical "crackdown" a couple of years ago. Jomtien tried to comply but ended up with a whole row of desks upstairs, staffed by the clueless, and queues out of the door. All for TM30 reports. local head of IO got a severe headache after a couple of weeks and scrapped the whole idea. Now one desk, staffed by a young girl and no queues.

That was before the now infamous petition which may cause many heels to be dug in due to loss of face.  I hope it doesn't but wouldn't be surprised if that was the outcome at least in the short to medium term. 

36 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

That was before the now infamous petition which may cause many heels to be dug in due to loss of face.  I hope it doesn't but wouldn't be surprised if that was the outcome at least in the short to medium term. 

I can assure you that the petition will go straight in the trash. Will have no effect, positive or negative.

OMG.. You're on a METV so you have to leave the country every 60 days.. If you don't need a 30 day extension on an entry you don't need to visit immigration, so no TM30 grief.. 

If you have IDP and your home licence, is valid for a continuous period of 90 days.. Because with the METV you have to leave every 60 days, you are covered.. IDP is officially valid for 12 mths but only 90 days continuous in one country.. 

So forget a Thai DL and TM30's as isn't necessary.. 

On 8/16/2019 at 7:16 PM, DannyCarlton said:

been out of country 3 times since then and out of province numerous times. Never filled a TM30 in. Did my 90 day report last week. TM30 not mentioned. No problem.

Exactly as I was told, and 90 day reporting has not been a problem even after trips out of Chonburi and indeed Thailand.

13 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Since you are on METV (same as me), and your last TM30 was 4 months ago, you have been out and in of Thailand since then. So, Jomtien were correct that your TM30 was no longer valid. It is a total pain. I switched to IDP's instead of Thai driving licence.

Off topic .. but a IDP is no good in the long run, you need to do a bit of research - I know they run for 1 year or whatever, but they are only good for 3-6 months here.

A long while a Ducati rider in our FB group was involved in an accident, police were initially happy with an IDP but when the insurance company refused to replace his bike and cover injuries of 3rd party.

20 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

I can't see you having any problems. It's a national "crackdown on TM30s. Seen many "crackdowns, they never last very long. Just the new boss flexing his muscles, he'll learn.

Had an identical "crackdown" a couple of years ago. Jomtien tried to comply but ended up with a whole row of desks upstairs, staffed by the clueless, and queues out of the door. All for TM30 reports. local head of IO got a severe headache after a couple of weeks and scrapped the whole idea. Now one desk, staffed by a young girl and no queues.

There's no crackdown at Jomtien as far as my experience is concerned. I did my 90 day report on Wednesday, 14 August, and had no problems at all despite never have filled out a TM30. Last month I did my annual extension - they never asked for it. To the OP, you might want to add a clause to your rental contract when it's up for renewal to get that lazy Russian to pay his dues. I have a clause stating the landlord is responsible for any fee or fine associated with the TM30. If I'm ever fined, he'll be paying it, not me. I won't have to ask him for it - I'll take it out of my rent payment. 

11 hours ago, recom273 said:

Off topic .. but a IDP is no good in the long run, you need to do a bit of research - I know they run for 1 year or whatever, but they are only good for 3-6 months here.

A long while a Ducati rider in our FB group was involved in an accident, police were initially happy with an IDP but when the insurance company refused to replace his bike and cover injuries of 3rd party.

Yes, I was recently informed of the same thing by a reliable source. I have had first class insurance for 6 years. It is a good job I never made a single claim!! I would have had a rude shock.

I consulted with my accountant who also does visa work....Advice is to get the last entry before any extension/renewal (retirement, etc) done on time and correctly, before going in for the renewal. Apparently they are not tracking every time you go in/out before your renewal, or fining you for each unsubmitted TM 30, only checking for TM 30 for the last entry. So, maybe the thing to do, if feasible, is do your renewal the day after you return to Thailand and do the TM 30 on the same visit to Imm.

On 8/17/2019 at 10:10 AM, DannyCarlton said:

This “crackdown “ may last a lot longer now that they’ve seen how much their pockets are being lined

2 hours ago, jaf3 said:

I consulted with my accountant who also does visa work....Advice is to get the last entry before any extension/renewal (retirement, etc) done on time and correctly, before going in for the renewal. Apparently they are not tracking every time you go in/out before your renewal, or fining you for each unsubmitted TM 30, only checking for TM 30 for the last entry. So, maybe the thing to do, if feasible, is do your renewal the day after you return to Thailand and do the TM 30 on the same visit to Imm.

Just checkin in a hotel the day before. Nothing complicated.

5 hours ago, jaf3 said:

Its been said on TV many times and I know from experience. If your immigration office is Jomtien and you are on a retirement or marriage extension, you only need to do a TM30 once. So if you leave the country or go to another province and return to the same address, there is no requirement to do another TM30. That has been the case for some time now.

5 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

You do not need a residence certificate to renew your driving license. The old driving license is enough.

But as you just found this video that has been posted 1000 times already, I guess that you also just got connected to Internet today ?

You need a residence certificate for driving license , BUT your old D.L. can be used to become a res. certificate , it is 1 of more options to get it 

20190816_174108 (1).jpg

18 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

You do not need a residence certificate to renew your driving license. The old driving license is enough.

That certainly was not my experience, I needed both an original and a copy to do renew my licences. You need to be more specific before posting comments.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:51 PM, jbob said:

If I want to take my girlfriend to a full moon party in Koh Phangan or go to an embassy in Bangkok for a couple nights and don't make sure I get reported within 24 hours of return ????‍♂️ upto 2,000b fine to 30-day extend

It was never a responsibility of the resident. Has anyone any idea why it's become our responsibility?

Recently I went into Chang Wattana to extend my retirement visa and the girl insisted that my wife and myself. which we have lived at the same address for the last 15 years proceed to the TM30 counter before we can process anything else after filling numerous forms. We had already been there for 5 hours and they told my wife she had to produce all sorts of paper work including the house book as the owner of the house which we had never had to do. We left and now decided to live overseas.

This has now become a huge headache and now I have lost interest in Thailand.  I have closed my company and now we have our properties up for sale

not sure how tm30 keeps bad guys out.

if you want to vet criminals and terrorists you screen people at the border, not track where everyone is staying once they are in. once someone is inside its too late.

does anyone know if tm30 is looked at by immigration when crossing a border and fined there, or is it only when you go into an office for an extention or other issue?

thanks for posting that vid. some guy had a heart attack or something during the conference. hope they are ok.

Archived