Jomtien or Hua Hin

YITB1980

I'm presently in Northern Thailand and I'm thinking about moving south.  For those who have lived (or spent appreciable time) in both places, how would you compare the two?

In my view, the pros for Hua Hin are.... its clean, has good air quality most of the year, has a nice, walkable beach and is relatively quiet, safe, and peaceful.  The cons are that it is a bit more expensive, has fewer good restaurants and entertainment venues, and there is just not as much to do. Expats and Thais are friendly.  HH is also smaller and harder to blend in with the crowd.

The pros for Jomtien are......relatively livable but yet close to the action in Pattaya, a huge variety of restaurants and entertainment options, generally less expensive, many condos with ocean views, beautiful women everywhere, and closer to BKK.  The cons are that during high season, the air quality is almost as bad as it is in the North, it is not nearly as safe as HH, traffic is worse.  The beach is not as clean or walkable.

What am I missing in my analysis?  Thanks in advance!

who told you HH is more expensive?? Its not true. Prices are more or less the same. in Low saeson saw lots of rooms even as low as 350 bath!!!yes with aircon..!!!

HH is cleaner though...and less loud....if you like golf and upscale (non-pro) ladies HH is a must!!!!!!

In HH you can meet normal (non hookie) women...and have a normal relationship...i would say thats impossible in Jomtien (or Pattaya)

my 2 cents.

take care

Hans

2 hours ago, Hans007 said:

In HH you can meet normal (non hookie) women...and have a normal relationship...i would say thats impossible in Jomtien (or Pattaya)

Pretty ignorant comment, considering the population of Chonburi is > 1M.

HH will be more boring, less variety of activities, further from Bangkok.

7 hours ago, YITB1980 said:

it is not nearly as safe as HH, traffic is worse.  The beach is not as clean or walkable.

I think Jomtien’s as safe as anywhere. While the cleanliness of the water might be debatable, although it’s never made me sick, it’s perfectly walkable, in fact it’s a great beach for walking.

On 8/16/2019 at 6:14 PM, Hans007 said:

who told you HH is more expensive?? Its not true. Prices are more or less the same. in Low saeson saw lots of rooms even as low as 350 bath!!!yes with aircon..!!!

Just in my experience.  In particular, food and drink is a bit more expensive in HH.  In recent months, the cost of condo rentals in Jomtien also appears to be coming down.  Not so much in HH.

Standing on the beach and looking at the sea the sunset will be very disappointing in Hua Hin. It will be behind you. Also in the middle of the city is a big temple. This is also used as a big crematorium. If you like the smoke and the ash of such ovens it is a great place to be. But on the positive side. Hua Hin is more quiet and not full of party and sex tourists. At least there are not so many. Hua Hin has more culture. 

2 hours ago, YITB1980 said:

I'm not in a relationship.

Do you have your own transport? 

Jomtien is easy to live, but if you settle in soi 94 in Hua Hin, you got everything you need in short distance. Just dependes how you. You can get a room from 4000,- a month with aircon and up in soi 94. House from 16 000,- + dependes on standard. 

I guess it is worth to try both places for a month or two. No need to lock your self to one place. Cha Am is a dead end, and in my opinion, not worth trying if you do not have your own transport and have a solid relationship. 

11 hours ago, Traubert said:

That Star Trek feller lives in Hua Hin so if you don't keep moving he might slip you a crippler.

no way! :clap2:do you have any idea how hard it is to get a date in Hua Hin? :cheesy:

My trips to Pattaya keeps the ferry company from going out of business.

When I am trying to save money, I wait for the ferry to unload from Pattaya. Usually 6 or 7 expats with their bar fines getting off the boat.

I slip the girl a card with my LINE id that says "Contact me when you are done with him." :cheesy:

its good for the environment.

54 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I guess it is worth to try both places for a month or two. No need to lock your self to one place. Cha Am is a dead end, and in my opinion, not worth trying if you do not have your own transport and have a solid relationship. 

Why bother trying both places?  Just move to Jomtien, and you can ferry to HH for a day or two until you get bored.  Geeez

Hua Hin is highly overpriced for everything, not much to do, goes to sleep with very little choice.

Greedy and mainly spoilt merchants, dentists, beauty saloons, tailors, restaurants and real estate developpers all over who will try to rip you off at the first occasion and will not bargain very much.

Jomtien is much more fun but of course like any where else in the world, don't flash your money around, be discreet, have a smile and walk away if the bar fine is to high, avoid sticking to close to foreign drunks, the ladyboys don't argue or be rude to anybody and you'll have the blast of your life.

Do you like to eat pie or sausage?

I find Jomtien way too homosexual. It's not that it's ever present but the shit that you see sometimes really does my head in. For myself I'd be better off in Hua Hin but I don't like either much honestly.

Hua Hin is not especially clean. The beaches are meh. Loads of jellies, brown sea foam and just not a lot of circulation in the water. Color is blah. City is overgrown and ugly.

How about Na Klua? No idea if it's a nice place anymore just offering.

20 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

have a smile and walk away if the bar fine is to high, avoid sticking to close to foreign drunks, the ladyboys don't argue or be rude to anybody and you'll have the blast of your life.

If you base your stay in Thailand on the bar fines, then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Normal prices in Hua Hin for general living costs. 

Just now, Tagged said:

When you are lucky to find one you can sit inside, instead of hanging outside ????

yes they are almost always packed. very busy here as the Chinese learn how to move around and rent condos near the ocean.

They love Bluport and the main Night market.

Archived