Kids on dependent extension, what age do they need their own visa?

Recently i was told that my kids(born in Thailand), now with the misses on a dependent retirement extension, will need to apply for their own visa when they turn 20 PLUS 400 K on Thai bank

source : NongKhai Immigration Officer 04 -2019

Any adding information available?

Thank you in advance

HGMA

The age of 20 is the maximum age for them to get the extensions. After that they have to find another way of staying in the country.

There is no extension they can apply for and show 400k baht in the bank.

If they were attending a university or attending or some other type of school the coult get extensions for attending classes.

• Like 2

This is a major issue for some people.  I have a friend who's daughter is half American and half Philippines.  They moved here when  she was a very young child and she only knows Thailand as home.  She's at University here so is now on an education visa, but once she graduates she'll have to find a job or leave Thailand.   She's in a position where this is her only home, yet she could be forced out after growing up her.  She doesn't need a job to stay here from a financial point of view as she can live with her parents for free.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

This is a major issue for some people.  I have a friend who's daughter is half American and half Philippines.  They moved here when  she was a very young child and she only knows Thailand as home.  She's at University here so is now on an education visa, but once she graduates she'll have to find a job or leave Thailand.   She's in a position where this is her only home, yet she could be forced out after growing up her.  She doesn't need a job to stay here from a financial point of view as she can live with her parents for free.

Similar situation here. I have explained to my child who is in grade 12 now that when she reaches 20 she will have to get her own visa. She's quite excited about leaving the nest ????  

I always thought the same until last week when I FINALLY got my kids Official Thai Birth Certificates. Their school advised me that their Certificate of Birth is NOT a Birth Certificate and I have to get their Birth Certificates or they can no longer attend school unless they get an Education Visa.

I found out that the hospital issues a Certificate of Birth and you need to take it to the local Amphur for them to issue their Official Birth Certificate.

Long story (as they all are in Thailand) short, I live in Chiang Mai and my kids were born in Ubon. I had to go to Ubon and fight for a week to get their Birth Certificates. What a nightmare that was as neither parents are Thai and they were born more than 5 years ago.

The good news is I now have their Official Birth Certificates and was advised by the Ubon Amphur that seeing they were born in Thailand, they can stay in Thailand forever without ever having Visas. They can not get a Thai ID Card nor a Thai Passport as neither parent is Thai but seeing that Thailand is their Mother Country, they can stay forever and come and go as they please.

I took their Birth Certificates to their school and they confirmed that they do not need Visas.

If your childrens Mother is Thai, then they too can stay forever and they can get a Thai ID Card and Passport. One parent has to be Thai for them to get a Thai ID Card and Passport.

If your childrens Mother is not Thai, then check the first number of their Birth Certificate. If it is the number 7, then they will be entitled to stay forever without visas and attend school. The first number represents their entitlement due to their birth depending on their parents status etc etc.

As no doubt you are aware, every person you ask could give you a different response but this appears to be true as advised by the Amphur that issued their Birth Certificates, their School and then I triple checked last week with the Chiang Mai Immigration when I renewed my Retirement Visa.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, robwil said:

If your childrens Mother is not Thai, then check the first number of their Birth Certificate. If it is the number 7, then they will be entitled to stay forever without visas and attend school. The first number represents their entitlement due to their birth depending on their parents status etc etc

The above statement is confusing and not sure correct.  

When our child was born in Bangkok the first thing we did was get her birth certificate from the local Ampher. Then went to our embassy and applied and received her Certificate of Citizenship from our home country. On her Thai birth certificate, top right box the "Personal Number is 7-1xxx..." Below that the box says "1.3 Nationality 99 Non-Citizen" (because both parents are not Thai). I have to apply every year for my child to stay in Thailand as my dependent.   I'm quite sure just because you are born in Thailand doesn't mean you are entitled to stay here without a visa.  Yes, when she was old enough to go to school a Non-O visa was required.   

I found this on the net https://www.thethailandlife.com/foreign-children-born-thailand.  

Thailand follows a nationality doctrine called “jus sanguinis”, which roughly translated means ‘right of blood'.  

There seems to be some caveats such as if a foreign national couple, both with permanent residency, have a biological child, the child will be granted (or can be) Thai citizenship.

There is one other circumstance where a child born of foreign parents in Thailand may be able to gain Thai citizenship. And that is if a child is born stateless.  

As you explained above, seems your children may be stateless.  Is that right? 

Edited by RBOP
reference added

3 hours ago, RBOP said:

The above statement is confusing and not sure correct.  

When our child was born in Bangkok the first thing we did was get her birth certificate from the local Ampher. Then went to our embassy and applied and received her Certificate of Citizenship from our home country. On her Thai birth certificate, top right box the "Personal Number is 7-1xxx..." Below that the box says "1.3 Nationality 99 Non-Citizen" (because both parents are not Thai). I have to apply every year for my child to stay in Thailand as my dependent.   I'm quite sure just because you are born in Thailand doesn't mean you are entitled to stay here without a visa.  Yes, when she was old enough to go to school a Non-O visa was required.   

I found this on the net https://www.thethailandlife.com/foreign-children-born-thailand.  

Thailand follows a nationality doctrine called “jus sanguinis”, which roughly translated means ‘right of blood'.  

There seems to be some caveats such as if a foreign national couple, both with permanent residency, have a biological child, the child will be granted (or can be) Thai citizenship.

There is one other circumstance where a child born of foreign parents in Thailand may be able to gain Thai citizenship. And that is if a child is born stateless.  

As you explained above, seems your children may be stateless.  Is that right? 

I am an Aussie... Aus Embassy in Bangkok told me on 2 visits that it could take 5 years + or more for my kids to get Australian Citizenship and a truck load of money for lawyers. Their Mother is Laos so after 3 years of battling with the Laos Govt I managed to get them Laos Passports so at least we have a bit of flexibility of travelling if we want.

I got their Birth Certificates translated and stamped as Official Govt Translations and under the Personal Number box it is translated as "1.3 Nationality: Not acquire Thai Nationality" which I guess is the same as "Non Citizen".

The information that I provided in my original comment was what I was told by the Ubon Amphur and Chiang Mai Immigration and confirmed by their School.

Again, as with most things in Thailand, ask 10 people and get 10 different answers!?!?!

4 hours ago, robwil said:

The good news is I now have their Official Birth Certificates and was advised by the Ubon Amphur that seeing they were born in Thailand, they can stay in Thailand forever without ever having Visas. They can not get a Thai ID Card nor a Thai Passport as neither parent is Thai but seeing that Thailand is their Mother Country, they can stay forever and come and go as they please.

Afaik this is not entirely true (i might be wrong, i never researched this, just remember reading it somewhere), but it is like this:

Yes, the child can stay in Thailand as long as he/she wants, but only if he/she never leaves Thailand.

If the child leaves Thailand, this special privilege is void, they will be treated the same as any other foreigner upon comming back.

• Like 1