Which medicaments should not be combined?

GeKoSc

Anyone here know which of the following drugs/foodadditives should not be taken together?

Astaxanthin, Garlic Power, Magnesium Complex, MSN, Curcumin, Vitamin B3 and B12, Metformin, Losartan, Peppermint Oil, Trazadone, Baking Soda ...

The only real drugs there are metformin, losartan and trazodone. Trazodone potentiates the effects of metformin resulting in a slightly lower blood sugar level than someone taking metformin alone, but if you've been on it a while and your sugars are fine, then it's nothing to worry about seeing as your doctor should have accounted for this already.

28 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Magnesium and baking soda can both bind with other drugs in the GI tract, decreasing absorption so I would advise not taking any med with either of those, especially not the metformin, losartan and trazodone,

You are talking about something called chelation, where some chemical, particularly metals, can bind and change the composition of certain drugs, affecting their absorption and effect. In this case, there are no such interactions. Source of this information is me working as a pharmacist almost my entire life.

Many foods contain magnesium and sodium bicarbonate, so if that was they case, people on these medications would be warned about these particular foods, but in this case they are not because there is no issue. Ignore the advice from Sheryl please.

PM me if you want and I can point you to the BNF online which will tell you exactly the same thing. Very kind of Sheryl to offer her advice, but it would appear that she is possibly not qualified to do so in such an important matter.

Both magnesium and sodium bicarb (baking soda) are known to have significant interactions with a long list of drugs, in most cases decreasing absorption and/or effectiveness; in the case of bicarb its effect on gastric pH is also a concern for some meds.

While these particular 3 drugs aren't among the many specifically known to have such interaction it is prudent to avoid taking any essential medicatiom at the exact same time as Mg or bicarb.

The concentration of Mg in a meal or snack is far less than in most Mg supplements.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Both magnesium and sodium bicarb (baking soda) are known to have significant interactions with a long list of drugs, in most cases decreasing absorption and/or effectiveness; in the case of bicarb its effect on gastric pH is also a concern for some meds.

This is why most of these types of supplements now come as gastro-resistant tablets or capsules, which are formulated to release their contents into the intestine and not the stomach, hence not causing the issues mentioned.

7 minutes ago, tifino said:

... thing is that OP hasn't defined by which method(s) each would be taken?

- whether by Encapsulated, Drunk, by Loose Powder etc etc

which makes all the difference, as implied by @SteveK

In what will this be relevant for the subject of post?

10 minutes ago, GeKoSc said:

In what will this be relevant for the subject of post?

prescribed meds usually accompanied by specific instructions relating to Before/During/After meals

food additives usually taken such that all goes into the stomach to be absorbed along with the food

wholesale mixing of various this'n'that, uncontrolled, can mean overdosong of particular ingredients, that might also be in the 'other' added whatever swallowed...

- like the BakingSoda doubled up is going to play havoc with stomach acid levels... and the resultant mess in the dunny, and longer term re-balancing to restoreation of stomach flora.

- whatever variation of magnesia, would compile the above condition; as it also used for it's own effects upon the intestinal tract actions i.e as Milk of Magnesia

The OP list, to me, seemed the beginnings of a potentially open ended list...

Archived