My guide to online E-visa applications via London Thai Embassy (60-day SETV by post)

Thanks Senior Player. Im just about to start an application (Ive been waiting for my last visa to expire) so Im sure your info. will be invaluable.

Can I ask if, with all your successive attempts to log in and continue, did u have to re-enter your application ref. every time? And did u initially write it down as I advised in my thread on this? If u recall I lost my almost completed application as I failed to write this down as soon as it appeared and when out of the blue the 'error return to home' message' appeared and when I returned to the home page I was unable to continue where I left off without the application ref. It would be a good idea to also warn people about this in your excellent step by step guide.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Thanks Senior Player. Im just about to start an application (Ive been waiting for my last visa to expire) so Im sure your info. will be invaluable.

Can I ask if, with all your successive attempts to log in and continue, did u have to re-enter your application ref. every time? And did u initially write it down as I advised in my thread on this? If u recall I lost my almost completed application as I failed to write this down as soon as it appeared and when out of the blue the 'error return to home' message' appeared and I returned to home I was unable to continue where I left off without the application ref.

That's ok @SunsetT I hope it's helpful to you. With regards to the actual login, once you've registered your account by clicking on the verification link that's been sent to your email address, it's pretty much plain sailing from there on out. The only thing you need to login each time is the email address that you supplied and your password. You'll have to type in one of those authentication codes that determines whether you're a bot or not, but other than that, you go straight through to your profile page that has everything on it. There's no need to write down anything else.

If you haven't been sent an email verification link after registering your account after completing it, then I assume your account was never properly registered nor activated and you'll need to do it again until you receive one. As you pointed out in another thread, you need to omit the first 0 from your phone number (home or mobile) and set it at UK (+44). That was the only thing I thought you had trouble with? If your home number is a Thai one, then the same thing applies and you'll have to omit the 0 at the start of your phone number.

Edited by Senior Player

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

And did u initially write it down as I advised in my thread on this? If u recall I lost my almost completed application as I failed to write this down as soon as it appeared and when out of the blue the 'error return to home' message' appeared and when I returned to the home page I was unable to continue where I left off without the application ref. It would be a good idea to also warn people about this in your excellent step by step guide.

I've just seen your re-edited post above with additional information. I honestly don't recall ever being given an application ref when I was creating my account. Once I'd completed my User Profile, I just clicked on CREATE and a verification email was sent directly to my email address, which I then had to click on to activate my account. Once it was activated, I could then login with my password and email address. 

Perhaps you need to clear your web browser's cache first then start all over again? Alternatively, you can always use a different email address to the one you first supplied. It seems you never created the profile, nor activated it, so I would suggest doing it again.

40 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

On a side note do airline checkin want see onward flight for setv or they still happy allow boarding if you got a setv .

I entirely agree with you about it being a messy system. The Cambodian visa you could always get relatively easy on arrival if you're prepared to queue up and wait for it. I don't know if that's changed recently?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking me @BuckBee? Do you mean is it necessary to have a ticket pre-booked for your return flight before you check-in at your outbound flight? I think the answer is yes, but that's down to the discretion of whatever airline you're flying out on. Personally, I'll be booking a return flight when I book my outbound one, so it won't be a problem for me as I only intend to stay within the 60-days and not extend my visa.

Edited by Senior Player

you could do cambodia visa online and they email you visa acceptance document you print out then you simply got a evisa stamp at any evisa entry point, was simple and smart and been in use around 10 years, why thailand didn't do similar is beyond logic ????

As for flights I wondering if airlines requesting onward booking these days for those with setv as it was never required before by airlines if you had a valid visa as thailand only requested onward flights for visa exempt entry ...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

you could do cambodia visa online and they email you visa acceptance document you print out then you simply got a evisa stamp at any evisa entry point, was simple and smart and been in use around 10 years, why thailand didn't do similar is beyond logic ????

As for flights I wondering if airlines requesting onward booking these days for those with setv as it was never required before by airlines if you had a valid visa as thailand only requested onward flights for visa exempt entry ...

I've never applied online for the Cambodian visa, I've always done mine upon arrival at Phnom Penh or Siem Reap airport, but I trust it's much simpler than the Thai one and doesn't require so much work on the applicant's part. 

I'm afraid I don't know the answer about onward flights with a SETV. Personally, I always plan on a return date so always have my return flight booked and already paid for.  

25 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

I've never applied online for the Cambodian visa, I've always done mine upon arrival at Phnom Penh or Siem Reap airport, but I trust it's much simpler than the Thai one and doesn't require so much work on the applicant's part.

Cambodia (SETV for 30 days), Turkey and India (METV for, in India's case, one year) are a piece of cake and wholly online. Thailand is way behind on this one. And for visa exempt entries, Malaysia has had a 60-day standard since at least the 1990s

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I found the E Visa  application in UK hopeless,, I cant pre book flights due to my work status ,, even though i have a wife , kids and home in Thailand and house in UK

more than enough money    4 applications  failed cant get ME O visa  cant get SE O visa either ,,   im totally frustrated ,  As an offshore worker im going to have to do a visa in Vietnam or somewhere

23 years married ,,   does not count jack shit

Suvarnabhumi immigration told me  back in March when i left thailand  if i dont arrive with a METV O visa I wont be allowed in ???? 

Edited by liddelljohn
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

Suvarnabhumi immigration told me  back in March when i left thailand  if i dont arrive with a METV O visa I wont be allowed in ???? 

It seems odd that you would be told this on the way out. 

If money no prob... how about an Elite?

Thank you for going to the trouble of posting this much needed information. Last week I looked at the London embassy website and winced, the year before I just took my documents and money one day and picked up the next. I spent 6 months in Thailand sept to march using 2 month TV's going to Hanoi twice to get a new one, this time i'm going for 3 months and was thinking of getting a visa on arrival for 30 days then going to Hanoi for the 2 month TV, this will be a lot more expensive but not being tech savvy I thought it would be my only option. I expect all Thai embassies will go down this route eventually. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

It certainly feels that way @lamyai3 I'm surprised there hasn't been more people reporting on this new UK e-visa system. There's certainly more hoops one has to jump through in order to get one, unlike before. But persevere, it's not as bad as it first might appear.

You're entirely welcome @Denim I think, perhaps, you might well be right about fewer applications from UK tourists. The speed in which I got my visa turned around is probably down to the low volume of applicants due to this laborious process.

Quite possibly. With something like this there will be a lot of people without the patience, tech knowhow or equipment to bother with it. Desktop sales are down in favor of laptops,tablets and smartphones. Without easy access to a printer or a scanner applications will be a lot more difficult. Too easy to get a 30 day stamp on arrival and spend the rest of a winter break in Vietnam.

Perhaps this is actually what they want. To accept reduced revenue from tourism to boost their precious ' national security ' Although why they should feel so threatened and by whom it is hard to fathom. 

6 minutes ago, Denim said:

Quite possibly. With something like this there will be a lot of people without the patience, tech knowhow or equipment to bother with it. Desktop sales are down in favor of laptops,tablets and smartphones. Without easy access to a printer or a scanner applications will be a lot more difficult. Too easy to get a 30 day stamp on arrival and spend the rest of a winter break in Vietnam.

Perhaps this is actually what they want. To accept reduced revenue from tourism to boost their precious ' national security ' Although why they should feel so threatened and by whom it is hard to fathom. 

Your comment above, which I've highlighted, is one of the new system's major flaws. It's all very well that the Royal Thai Embassy wants to go paperless, but they still insist on us having access to a printer in order to print-off various forms and sign them, especially now that most of us live in a paperless society. For a new system, it does seem rather antiquated and not very forward-thinking of them. With the accelerated demise of Pattaya (to name just one location), the high Baht, and various other regulations, I can see many long-stay tourists crossing Thailand off their holiday list and visiting a neighbouring country instead. 

PS. The scanning of a document can still be gotten around by taking a photo on your phone and resizing that to 200KB, so long as its relatively sharp and clear. However, the 2 print-outs cannot be gotten around and are a necessary part of the process.

38 minutes ago, Muppet2019 said:

Thank you for going to the trouble of posting this much needed information. Last week I looked at the London embassy website and winced, the year before I just took my documents and money one day and picked up the next. I spent 6 months in Thailand sept to march using 2 month TV's going to Hanoi twice to get a new one, this time i'm going for 3 months and was thinking of getting a visa on arrival for 30 days then going to Hanoi for the 2 month TV, this will be a lot more expensive but not being tech savvy I thought it would be my only option. I expect all Thai embassies will go down this route eventually. 

Thanks very much. I had the same cold shiver when I first approached it, too. I expect it's only a matter of time before it's rolled out nationwide.

Now that I have my SETV finalised and in my sweaty paws, I've just official booked my flights. There's a Summer Sale on with Eva Airways (ends August 31) and I've just managed to bag a return flight for £500!! 

• Like 1

Please can anyone tell me how long it takes to get a visa in London if, following the online application, one is delivering one's passport and collecting it oneself?  Will one be notified that the passport is ready for collection in time for it to be the next day, as it used to be when it was not online?

Also, for the airticket, can it consist of two separate tickets, the second being a flight to a neighbouring country that one visit two months later to get a new visa, or must it be a return flight from Britain?

On 8/17/2019 at 12:41 AM, BuckBee said:

what a messy system, I use to do setv quite a bit for trips to thailand but simply won't bother any more as not worth the hassle or offers good value for the ever growing charges .
Why they could not use a proper simple evisa like cambodia been doing for about a decade where you get a visa simply at designated entry points is beyond logic .
It basically a huge step backwards in efficiency and made setv more hassle than it worth in many cases.

I rarely pre book accommodation and generally never book onward flight as like keep it fully flexible and make my mind up closer to the time ....

On a side note do airline checkin want see onward flight for setv or they still happy allow boarding if you got a setv .

I quite agree. it is improperly called <eVisa>  and you still need to send your passport and get a real visa sticker. It should be properly called <Online Visa Application>. Myanmar, Vietnam and Cambodia and Laos now have  a real  eVisa option . You get an letter with barcode that you print and present to the immigration Officer on arrival . NO big visa sticker , just an entry stamp. I know I used  this method in the last 2 years except Laos that is quite new.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jrmaanda said:

Please can anyone tell me how long it takes to get a visa in London if, following the online application, one is delivering one's passport and collecting it oneself?  Will one be notified that the passport is ready for collection in time for it to be the next day, as it used to be when it was not online?

Also, for the airticket, can it consist of two separate tickets, the second being a flight to a neighbouring country that one visit two months later to get a new visa, or must it be a return flight from Britain?

You can book the appointment for more a less the next day ,,,that’s to give your passport in and then you collect it the next day ...

once you know the online system and understand it’s little bugs it is quite an easy system.

the main problems are some people don’t have printers or do not know how to scan documents etc etc.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Senior Player said:

Your comment above, which I've highlighted, is one of the new system's major flaws. It's all very well that the Royal Thai Embassy wants to go paperless, but they still insist on us having access to a printer in order to print-off various forms and sign them, especially now that most of us live in a paperless society. For a new system, it does seem rather antiquated and not very forward-thinking of them. With the accelerated demise of Pattaya (to name just one location), the high Baht, and various other regulations, I can see many long-stay tourists crossing Thailand off their holiday list and visiting a neighbouring country instead. 

Unfortunately even the countries I mentioned that offer a paperless experience (Cambodia, Turkey, India) do require you to print out the visa that they email you to present to the Immigration authorities, so somewhere along the way you're going to need access to a printer. The only countries I know that make it entirely electronic are Australia and the UK, but then they demand the applicant turns up at a VfS data collection centre to have their biometric data (fingerprints etc) collected. Swings and roundabouts

• Like 1

I submitted an o-a online application last week successfully after weeks of attempts here in london as i use an iPad and it would let me input certain things...or kept giving no choices to select...nightmare but eventually between an iPad and a mates computer it went through ...a tip for compressing photos is download the compress app from Apple apps and then edit normally on your photo .....I have an apt as I live in london when in uk but a mate in LOS has just told me as from 22 August O-A will need a health insurance!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jrmaanda said:

As long as its another country it does not matter. I made the mistake at the Thai embassy in Hanoi (applying for another TV) of giving my return ticket to the UK which wasn't for another 4 months, thankfully they allowed me to buy a ticket on my phone (Chaing Mai to Hanoi) and send them a email copy which they printed out. Also when you do a visa run make sure its not a public holiday as the embassy's observe the local and Thai ones, booked to Hanoi when it was their new year had to extend visit and buy another return flight.

Edited by Muppet2019

49 minutes ago, ian carman said:

I plan on going to Thailand with my Thai wife for about 55 days next year .

i might as well get a visa on arrival and extend by 30 days 

will the airline or immigration have a problem with this?

Don't you mean get a "visa exempt" upon arrival and extend by an additional 30 days? I might be wrong, but I don't believe it's possible to get a Thai visa upon arrival from the UK at a Thai airport. If it were, there'd be no need to extend, especially as a visa gives you the 60-days you require. 

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why you can't apply for a SETV by post using the online system or simply go to another UK consulate (eg, Hull or one of the others) that issues a 60-day SETV on the very same day without the need to use the online e-visa application? The problem with a "visa exempt" is you need to show the IO your departure flight upon arrival; that means your flight departure date has to be within 30 days. Personally, I think it's very risky. If I was you and wanted to guarantee my 55-days in Thailand, I'd get a SETV before I depart. Of course you could show them an exit flight to a neighbouring country just prior to the 30th day, then flyout and return a couple of days later and get an additional 30 days exempt, therefore there'd be no need to extend. Maybe someone else has a better suggestion, but if I wanted a hassle-free 60 days, I'd bite the bullet and sort out a SETV 3 months before I depart on holiday.

Edited by Senior Player