My guide to online E-visa applications via London Thai Embassy (60-day SETV by post)

In a lot of ways, things have vastly improved for tourists wanting to stay longer than just 2 weeks in LOS. I can still recall in the 1980's we only got 15 days maximum on a visa exemption and had to pay extra for any overstay, which always seem to occur no matter how short the holiday was. The flight prices were also astronomical and we had to fly into the old antiquated Don Mueang airport before their big makeover, too. This 15 days exemption was only changed roughly midway through the 90's to the 30 days that we're lucky to have now. Yeah, the new online application is an extra hassle for your guaranteed 60 days stay, but it's far better than it was twenty-odd years ago.

• Like 1

Just now, LukeH1987 said:

Hello. 

When it comes to photo can it be any size?

Do i need to scan a UK passport photo in my scanner or can I use any size photo?

I uploaded a photo taken from a digital camera and it said pass next to it.

thank you

As my original post states (along with the information supplied on the embassy website) the photos can not exceed anything larger than 200KB, though I think it'll probably except a file that's marginally larger than 200KB. With regards to a personal photo, it says it must be one taken within the last 6 months (presumably if your appearance has changed from the original passport one). If the website has said PASS below it, then I assume it's okay and negates your earlier question.

Dont  bother with a complicated visa for under 60 days stay. With a return ticket to GB within 60 days, you get a 30 day exempt stamp on arrival, and then before the 30 days are up ( careful with public holidays!) you go to your local immigration office and apply for an extension 30 days. Easy peasy. Have cash in your pocket in case asked for and a hotel/condo address. I always carry my bookings, plane and condo. 

19 minutes ago, geisha said:

Dont  bother with a complicated visa for under 60 days stay. With a return ticket to GB within 60 days, you get a 30 day exempt stamp on arrival, and then before the 30 days are up ( careful with public holidays!) you go to your local immigration office and apply for an extension 30 days. Easy peasy. Have cash in your pocket in case asked for and a hotel/condo address. I always carry my bookings, plane and condo. 

The only drawback is the airline that you're flying out on might not allow you to board the plane without first having the necessary visa for those 60-days you're seeking, as it obviously exceeds your 30-day stay. I've read of people having to sign waivers at check-in to say that they'll accept responsibility and pay the airline for a return fare if they're turned back early at immigration. I suppose it really depends on the IO on duty at the time of your arrival on whether you're kicked back or not. Some will glide through and some will have problems. For peace of mind, a SETV isn't really so difficult to obtain.

Edited by Senior Player

1 hour ago, Senior Player said:

As my original post states (along with the information supplied on the embassy website) the photos can not exceed anything larger than 200KB, though I think it'll probably except a file that's marginally larger than 200KB. With regards to a personal photo, it says it must be one taken within the last 6 months (presumably if your appearance has changed from the original passport one). If the website has said PASS below it, then I assume it's okay and negates your earlier question.

I am asking the size in terms of dimensions of the photo not the file size.

What i need to know is can i use a large photo size I have taken with my digital camera or does it need to be a small normal 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm UK passport photo.

Edited by LukeH1987
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, LukeH1987 said:

I am asking the size in terms of dimensions of the photo not the file size.

What i need to know is can i use a large photo size I have taken with my digital camera or does it need to be a small normal 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm UK passport photo.

What you mean is the cropping of the photo, not the size!!! The dimensions are irrelevant so long as the file is within 200KB. The crop of the photo has to be a head-and-shoulders portrait like a standard passport photo. If you're supplying it as an actual photo then it has to be 35–40mm in width. All this info is readily available from the Thai Embassy website, see below...

https://www.icao.int/Security/mrtd/Downloads/Technical Reports/Annex_A-Photograph_Guidelines.pdf

Edited by Senior Player

What duration are we allowed to have?

Is it ok to have 90 days?

Was your return flight details within 60 days or 90 days?

From your reply about the photo I take it you mean we can upload a photo we have taken from a digital camera and the dimensions do not matter. We then print this photo onto A4 also to send?

The size limit states less than 0.5mb when I upload the biodata and photo, not 200kb.

What I am checking is we don't need to scan a standard UK passport photo and then upload this and include it when we send the application? 

Which one did you use? 

Edited by LukeH1987

1 hour ago, LukeH1987 said:

What duration are we allowed to have?

Is it ok to have 90 days?

Was your return flight details within 60 days or 90 days?

From your reply about the photo I take it you mean we can upload a photo we have taken from a digital camera and the dimensions do not matter. We then print this photo onto A4 also to send?

What I am checking is we don't need to scan a standard UK passport photo and then upload this and include it when we send the application? 

Which one did you use? 

I believe what you're asking me is about the printed version of your portrait photo and not so much the uploaded version. Of course, my own guide is to help those who are having difficulties with the online process, not so much the requirements that are stated on their own website before and after this procedure. For that, I must refer you back to the embassy's website.

Personally speaking, I didn't use my iPhone to take a self-portrait due to the lighting issues and the need to crop it afterwards, as well the need to print it off on photo-quality paper. I simply popped along to a Photo-Me booth at W.H. Smiths (though they're also in Tesco and Sainsbury's) and got the necessary prints for just £6. I then scanned that photo and turned it into a JPG and uploaded that. No fuss and no problem with sending it afterwards. One of the many requirements that are listed on a taking your own digital photo (I trust that you've read them) is that you need to print it off on photo-quality paper. If your printer doesn't have this, then it's pointless going down this route, and I suggest instead just visiting a photo booth which will give you everything you need.

My guide is for the 60-day SETV, which is what I applied for. There is no such thing as a 90-day visa. That would involve extending your SETV when you're out in Thailand close to the end of your 60-day stay. Personally, if you're intending to stay beyond the 60-days and extend to 90-days, I wouldn't tell the London Thai Embassy that you're thinking of doing this.  

Edited by Senior Player

I am in the uk at the moment applied for a online Non 0-a

submitted all the required docs

Barcode doc they snt me

Medical cert

Police clearence report

Declaration form

Passport

10 UK pounds cash

Return envelope

6 months bank statements showing that i have a income of more than the required 65000THB

Then this morning got a email back saying see below

Dear Applicant, 
on hold:Do you have other bank account to prove your saving? At this time your account has money in and out and not the fixed income so please submit more details at [email protected] SUBJECT: (Blanked this out)

what is going on with these people the.... 

Supporting Documents required (6) says

financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65000THB or having the current balance of 800,000THB eg bank statements, proof of income.

Well i supplied the proof of income alough i did not highlight it but it is quite clear from the repetitive entries.

Any one familiar with applying for this type of Online visa Non O-A from the Thai embassy in the UK had any similar problems?

Regards

TB

Edited by tigerbalm
spacing changes

Sorry @tigerbalm I can't personally help you with your query. Maybe if no one responds here on this thread, then perhaps post it on a METV thread that has many similar applicants visiting it.

The only thing I can add is that your bank statement has to show approx. £20,000 in a current account that's been there for 6 months. That's as much as I know. It was different when I applied for my own O/A visa a few year's ago.

Edited by Senior Player

26 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

I believe what you're asking me is about the printed version of your portrait photo and not so much the uploaded version. Of course, my own guide is to help those who are having difficulties with the online process, not so much the requirements that are stated on their own website before and after this procedure. For that, I must refer you back to the embassy's website.

Personally speaking, I didn't use my iPhone to take a self-portrait due to the lighting issues and the need to crop it afterwards, as well the need to print it off on photo-quality paper. I simply popped along to a Photo-Me booth at W.H. Smiths (though they're also in Tesco and Sainsbury's) and got the necessary prints for just £6. I then scanned that photo and turned it into a JPG and uploaded that. No fuss and no problem with sending it afterwards. One of the many requirements that are listed on a taking your own digital photo (I trust that you've read them) is that you need to print it off on photo-quality paper. If your printer doesn't have this, then it's pointless going down this route, and I suggest instead just visiting a photo booth which will give you everything you need.

My guide is for the 60-day SETV, which is what I applied for. There is no such thing as a 90-day visa. That would involve extending your SETV when you're out in Thailand close to the end of your 60-day stay. Personally, if you're intending to stay beyond the 60-days and extend to 90-days, I wouldn't tell the London Thai Embassy that you're thinking of doing this.  

Thank you that makes perfect sense.

When you scanned in the photo from the photo booth did you scan it as A4 or did you have to crop the image to just include the small photo?

1 minute ago, tigerbalm said:

Hi Whats METV

Regards

TB

Oops, you're applying for a 1-year (O-A visa) not the METV (6-month). I'll let someone else takeover on this. As I pointed out above, the requirements have changed since I applied for my 1-year O-A. I didn't need to show an income, just that I had the said amount (£20k) in a current account for the required time.

• This is what it says .
  • Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB (approx. £1,625) or having the current balance of 800,000 THB (approx. £20,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month
  •  
  • i went down the 65000 income route
  • you i take it went down the 800,000 seasoned in a Thai bank
  •  
  • I am doing this from the UK not from Thailand

25 minutes ago, LukeH1987 said:

Thank you that makes perfect sense.

When you scanned in the photo from the photo booth did you scan it as A4 or did you have to crop the image to just include the small photo?

No. I just scanned the photo as it was. Basically, you get 4 duplicate shots from a photo booth, you just need to scan 1 of them. Yes, I cropped the unnecessary wastage around it. 

I then had to upload it to the site that I've provided a link for on my very first post on page 1, after which I had to resize the file to 200KB as I think it was originally scanned at 1MB by default. When you come to send the photo with all your other documents, you'll need to supply the photo as a print. That means your standard passport size. Hence why I suggested going to a photo booth and getting a authenticated print. As it only costs £6 it's worth it.

Edited by Senior Player

3 minutes ago, tigerbalm said:
  • This is what it says .
  • Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB (approx. £1,625) or having the current balance of 800,000 THB (approx. £20,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month
  •  
  • i went down the 65000 income route
  • you i take it went down the 800,000 seasoned in a Thai bank
  •  
  • I am doing this from the UK not from Thailand

Yes, that's right. I did it from the UK with the seasoned 800,000 baht in a UK bank, not a Thai one.

Edited by Senior Player

32 minutes ago, tigerbalm said:

financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65000THB or having the current balance of 800,000THB eg bank statements, proof of income.

LONG STAY website extract

"3. Financial evidence : a guarantee letter from the bank and a copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 THB or an income certificate with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB or a deposit account plus a monthly income in total not less than 80,000 THB"

Do they perhaps want to see a total of 800k baht ie. 6 x >65000kTHB (6x£1770) + 410kTHB (£11160) in savings? or enough statements to total £21800 (fx today).

Edited by UKresonant

when it comes to showing flight details did you have a return flight or only a single one way from Thai Airways?

If i put 60 days in the duration part do I need to show a return flight within those 60 days?

Edited by LukeH1987

15 minutes ago, LukeH1987 said:

when it comes to showing flight details did you have a return flight or only a single one way from Thai Airways?

I did write what I supplied to the London embassy about my flight details in my original post @LukeH1987 Go back and have a thorough read of it again.

44 minutes ago, tigerbalm said:
  • I went down the 65000 income route

The only thing that you haven't mentioned is the addition of the income certificate @tigerbalm Did you submit an income certificate along with your bank statement confirming your 65,000 income? It seems that's an additional requirement if you're going down the salary route and not the seasoned deposit one.

Edited by Senior Player

22 minutes ago, LukeH1987 said:

If i put 60 days in the duration part do I need to show a return flight within those 60 days?

Yes, I did. My own details reflected my own 60-day stay. It wouldn't have been very smart of me to show my hand and inform them that I intended to go beyond this duration at this early stage. If I want to extend, then that's entirely up to me when I'm over there.

12 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

The only thing that you haven't mentioned is the addition of the income certificate @tigerbalm Did you submit an income certificate along with your bank statement confirming your 65,000 income? It seems that's an additional requirement if you're going down the salary route and not the seasoned deposit.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-a-certificate-of-residence

I'm not getting the connection with that .gov link, if the income is UK and not remitted to Thailand, I cannot see the use of a CoR in this contex of applying for a Long Stay Visa? 

17 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

I'm not getting the connection with that .gov link, if the income is UK and not remitted to Thailand, I cannot see the use of a CoR in this contex of applying for a Long Stay Visa? 

Yes, I just removed that link from my original post as I don't think it was quite the right one, and I think it best that the individual researches their own way of obtaining an income certificate, which I'm assuming is a varication of income. I'd presume that the standard P60 would be the equivalent of an income certificate.

Edited by Senior Player

1 hour ago, Senior Player said:

an income certificate, which I'm assuming is a varication of income. I'd presume that the standard P60 would be the equivalent of an income certificate.

I'll have to have a look at it again, I'm only looking at the O/A as a way of getting a multi-entry visa (since the non-ME was discontinued). The much anticipated insurance add on to the O-A, may scupper any intentions of applying for one anyway.

The P60s could be partially used for most income, but would not be applicable to income from dividends etc

I wonder if it could be as simple as getting all the income credits  for 12 months on  a couple pages of statements and getting the Bank to verify it, checked against their system. 

5 hours ago, tigerbalm said:

I am in the uk at the moment applied for a online Non 0-a

submitted all the required docs

Barcode doc they snt me

Medical cert

Police clearence report

Declaration form

Passport

10 UK pounds cash

Return envelope

6 months bank statements showing that i have a income of more than the required 65000THB

Then this morning got a email back saying see below

Dear Applicant, 
on hold:Do you have other bank account to prove your saving? At this time your account has money in and out and not the fixed income so please submit more details at [email protected] SUBJECT: (Blanked this out)

Well i supplied the proof of income alough i did not highlight it but it is quite clear from the repetitive entries.

Any one familiar with applying for this type of Online visa Non O-A from the Thai embassy in the UK had any similar problems?

Regards

TB

I Tried to get a little clearer understanding of the combination method to make 800k THB for the Long Stay O-A.

They appear to be looking for the Deposit Component to be in a separate account from the income stream, cannot be the same account. (They would have to see the statements to be sure of acceptance, but I'll surely have to adjust my bank accounts to potentially do an application, and to produce statements). 

It may be the "a guarantee letter from the bank" may refer to if you are using a Thai Bank Account, they said a passbook would not be enough  (Though it could be the situation for some legacy accounts in the UK I guess). 

So think I would need for an O-A application,

a de-cluttered current account for the income stream in the UK, for example £1500~55000THB, (I'll have to ask the Bank if they do a letter to confirm credits to the account in a condensed format, to simplify).

Plus circa 140000 THB~£3850 in deposit account(s?). But if that was in Thailand, will the letter obtained just before flying back be good for a few weeks or a month till you get the other Documents required??? also you may not want the VISA to start until nearer fly back time (3 Fixed Deposit perhaps, every two years). 

senior-player you are probably reducing stress at the Embassy, by creating this Post as;

People should read online, as all the information is there, when we keep phoning up to ask questions, we take people away from processing the Visas.  It does seem apparent this new system is the creator of much stress and frustration all round!

Time for a relaxing cup of Tea!

Edited by UKresonant

30 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

So think I would need for an O-A application,

a de-cluttered current account for the income stream in the UK, for example £1500~55000THB, (I'll have to ask the Bank if they do a letter to confirm credits to the account in a condensed format, to simplify).

Plus circa 140000 THB~£3850 in deposit account(s?). But if that was in Thailand, will the letter obtained just before flying back be good for a few weeks or a month till you get the other Documents required??? also you may not want the VISA to start until nearer fly back time (Fixed Deposit perhaps). 

Unfortunately, my O-A situation was different to yours as I had the seasoned amount of money in my current account which I could just show them. This was when an applicant had to present their notarised documents in person and an embassy official would simply give them a quick perusal before telling you to come back the next day to collect your visa. The only headache I had was the medical, as I was a new patient at my local GP and he refused to put his name to any of the non-medical conditions because I had no history with him or their practice. Instead, I had to go to Harley Street and get it all done there, then get everything notarised afterwards.

I think, in this case, you'd be far better off talking with someone at the embassy that can advise you on what exact financial documents you need to submit for a salary-based O-A visa. 

Edited by Senior Player
  • Like 1