My guide to online E-visa applications via London Thai Embassy (60-day SETV by post)

4 hours ago, Apiwan2 said:

I travel back and forth to thailand because of work in the UK .

April/may
July
October
XMAS

Hence the £240 fee (£60 each )+ postage etc

Although Xmas doesn't exceed 30 days I may just arrive on a visa at the airport however they always ask me " why no visa ? " when they couldn't find the NON O

I Applied for a NON O visa multi was there but then cancelled out to just single.

Now I know only single entry NON O is available now from UK.

Also my passport is going to fill up quickly with all these 1 page visas <deleted>

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Cheers @Apiwan2, I now understand your situation fully. Hopefully the link I provided above (or now on the previous page) can help solve your dilemma, especially as the always excellent @ubonjoe is permanently on hand to help those with visa problems such as yours. Good luck.

Edited by Senior Player
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 1:20 PM, Senior Player said:

Thank you @tonbridgebrit for your kind words. As your alternative and hypothetical plan shows, it is possible to find another way of not using an SETV and staying for 60-days on two visa exemptions. I suppose it would all depend on how many times you'd already used this method in the same calendar year as to whether the IO would allow you back into Thailand without any fuss. Also, you have to factor in the cost comparisons of doing either one. An SETV will only cost you just £30, plus the postal fee, depending on how you intend on submitting it, which could take the total cost up to approx. £46. The traveling to Malaysia would obviously cost significantly more than this as you'd have to pay for a hotel, additional flights and taxis. Then there's also the upheaval of interrupting your holiday midway to go to and from the airport as well as leaving the country, etc.

The last time I did a visa run using a similar method, I stayed in Malaysia for 5-days as I knew that a one-night stopover tends to arouse suspicion with immigration that you aren't really a tourist but someone trying to play the system. For every person that tells you that they didn't have a problem doing a one-nighter in Malaysia and returning the next day, they'll be another telling you that they did. It's one of those grey areas depending on the mood of the IO and entry border, and your own travel history.

When all is said and done, the online application for an SETV really isn't all that bad for the genuine 60-day tourist. The only time-consuming part is getting all your documents together and formatting them to 200KB. As I showed in my own guide on page 1, it's not necessary to book and pay for any of your flights beforehand, as a quoted price from Thai Airways is sufficient enough. The same really applies to accommodation, as you can book a hotel for 2-nights and then cancel it after you've got your visa without having to pay a single penny. The main objective is getting a SETV in your hands. Once you have it, you can decide yourself where and when you want to travel, so long as it's within the 3-month remit of the visa.

Re Apiwan2..

I also have a few elderly friends intending to stay in the LOS this winter, for their  usual 60 day holiday.

They have decided that the new E-visa is far too complicated, and are intending to opt  for a 30 day visa exempt on arrival, plus a 30 extension at  Jomtien immigration.

I just wanted to confirm that this option is still available? 

What will they enter as  their length of stay, on the TM6 entry/departure card?

To be honest I'm not that young ( 50 ) and I found it to be ok.

Once you've got all your documents scanned and in a folder on your PC in their format up to 500 KB.

You can keep the documents in a folder for next time , the rest is just clicking the options .

Re Apiwan2..

I also have a few elderly friends intending to stay in the LOS this winter, for their  usual 60 day holiday.
They have decided that the new E-visa is far too complicated, and are intending to opt  for a 30 day visa exempt on arrival, plus a 30 extension at  Jomtien immigration.
I just wanted to confirm that this option is still available? 
What will they enter as  their length of stay, on the TM6 entry/departure card?

Please can anyone tell me if, when it comes to posting the documents (eg. marriage certificate and bank statements) with the passport to the embassy in London, are these all the original documents or copies?  I ask because the originals of my bank statements are the other side of the world where I live (Thailand!)

Also, does it matter if the bank statements show an address in Thailand, rather than a British one?

I've lived in Thailand for 20 years, getting a ME non-immigrant "O" each year on a visit to London. Now I'm wondering whether it's possible for me as someone who really lives in Thailand, to get any kind of visa from the London embassy.  Is there anyone else in a similar position to mine who has insights on this? I'd love to know what they've done about it.

7 hours ago, jrmaanda said:

Please can anyone tell me if, when it comes to posting the documents (eg. marriage certificate and bank statements) with the passport to the embassy in London, are these all the original documents or copies?  I ask because the originals of my bank statements are the other side of the world where I live (Thailand!)

Also, does it matter if the bank statements show an address in Thailand, rather than a British one?

I've lived in Thailand for 20 years, getting a ME non-immigrant "O" each year on a visit to London. Now I'm wondering whether it's possible for me as someone who really lives in Thailand, to get any kind of visa from the London embassy.  Is there anyone else in a similar position to mine who has insights on this? I'd love to know what they've done about it.

I had a call from my friend in the UK last night, he has just obtained a SE Non O on marriage, his wife lives in Thailand and he does 6 months here.

He tells me the system is in a right mess, he tried to apply to London but the system kept freezing, he had to apply to Hull and the application was then sent on to London for approval. When he received the approval email he was told to take his passport to Hull to get the visa as the postal option was not available due to technical difficulties. When he went to Hull the guy said he was lucky he only had to come from Sheffield some were coming from all over the country.

He then asked me if he came on visa exempt if he could get a Non O somewhere nearby as he did not want the hassle again, you may want to consider that option for the time being.

13 hours ago, jrmaanda said:

I'd just like to point out that only the single entry NON O is available now from the UK. Also it's my understanding that you have to be a UK resident to make a postal visa application to the Thai London Embassy. This can be quickly determined by "Checking for Eligibility" at Step 1 on your Apply For Visa folder when you input your "Permanent Residency" and "Submit to: London Embassy" whereupon it would notify you whether you were qualified to use this method or not.

PS. I've just noticed that another member has posted a reply to your question since I started this post, so hopefully their answer is more helpful than mine.

Hi there, 

I have just recently completed the SETV e visa online. I have attached all the supporting documents and they seem to be okay. Then on the last page it has asked me for this 3 times. (A confirmation letter from employer, School, Self-assessment, Pension statement). 

I have no idea why it has asked for this as I have online applied for a tourist visa for the 60 days. Do you have any idea why? I'm not sure if I've done something wrong? 

Thanks very much for your help! 

4 hours ago, Alice Alice said:

Yes, but I have selected the SETV. I might just have to start again ????

@persimmon is correct. What you've highlighted isn't required for a SETV (60-days). Have you accidently submitted an application for a METV instead of the SETV? I can assure you that neither a confirmation letter from employer, School, Self-assessment, Pension statement is necessary for a SETV.

My guess is the mistake happened when you made your selection on Purpose of Visit. What you should've selected was Tourist Visa (TR) and Number of Entries: Single

Edited by Senior Player

15 hours ago, Alice Alice said:

Then on the last page it has asked me for this 3 times. (A confirmation letter from employer, School, Self-assessment, Pension statement). 

Did the screen give a expectation of a figure to meet for such? (METV)

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

For Multiple Entries (stay up to 60 days for each entry within the period of 6 months)

Financial evidence e.g. original bank statement of the applicant showing a balance of at least £5,000 (for 6 months) or a print out with official stamp of the bank

For visiting or staying with family resided in Thailand (less than 60 days)....

Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, sponsorship letter from a third party

So if your going to visit family, is it only proof of earnings  ....

not

proof of earnings & £5,000 (for 6 months)

......on the e-visa screen?

18 hours ago, Senior Player said:

@persimmon is correct. What you've highlighted isn't required for a SETV (60-days). Have you accidently submitted an application for a METV instead of the SETV? I can assure you that neither a confirmation letter from employer, School, Self-assessment, Pension statement is necessary for a SETV.

My guess is the mistake happened when you made your selection on Purpose of Visit. What you should've selected was Tourist Visa (TR) and Number of Entries: Single

Thanks for your response! I have double checked all of the application, I have selected the tourist visa and single entry but it's still not working. I think there's a fault in the system. I have deleted it and made a new application, still no hope. I have ended up emailing the embassy in London, so hopefully they can fix it! 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, UKresonant said:

Did the screen give a expectation of a figure to meet for such? (METV)

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

For Multiple Entries (stay up to 60 days for each entry within the period of 6 months)

Financial evidence e.g. original bank statement of the applicant showing a balance of at least £5,000 (for 6 months) or a print out with official stamp of the bank

For visiting or staying with family resided in Thailand (less than 60 days)....

Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, sponsorship letter from a third party

So if your going to visit family, is it only proof of earnings  ....

not

proof of earnings & £5,000 (for 6 months)

......on the e-visa screen?

No, I haven't seen any of this. I'm just going to travel the country. Thanks for your help ????

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Alice Alice said:

Thanks for your response! I have double checked all of the application, I have selected the tourist visa and single entry but it's still not working. I think there's a fault in the system. I have deleted it and made a new application, still no hope. I have ended up emailing the embassy in London, so hopefully they can fix it! 

Maybe another thing worth checking again is the dates that you've selected on the Duration of Stay under Travel Information and that they tally up to 60-days and don't exceed this number. If you're intended on getting an extension, don't include this in your Duration of Stay calculation.

Edited by Senior Player

On 8/17/2019 at 2:11 AM, Senior Player said:

Your comment above, which I've highlighted, is one of the new system's major flaws. It's all very well that the Royal Thai Embassy wants to go paperless, but they still insist on us having access to a printer in order to print-off various forms and sign them, especially now that most of us live in a paperless society. For a new system, it does seem rather antiquated and not very forward-thinking of them. With the accelerated demise of Pattaya (to name just one location), the high Baht, and various other regulations, I can see many long-stay tourists crossing Thailand off their holiday list and visiting a neighbouring country instead. 

PS. The scanning of a document can still be gotten around by taking a photo on your phone and resizing that to 200KB, so long as its relatively sharp and clear. However, the 2 print-outs cannot be gotten around and are a necessary part of the process.

With a little practice you should be able to photograph digitally your pages and get an electronic file.   Most smart phones now have pretty good cameras, probably as good as  Wal Mart or CVS use if you go there for your passport photos!  This bypasses the crude physical scanning process.  My sister gave me a portable little "wand" type scanner that plugs into my computer.  I never activated it, but I have read that some of them are pretty decent quality.  Here in the USA the Fed Ex Kinko copy stores really are all over the place and it is not too hard to go there and scan/email/convert documents. Stupid and clumsy I admit

• 3 weeks later...

So it's OK to take a photo instead of scanning documents?

I don't see why not as long as the image is clear, either way they're JPG images, but this statement from the application website made me unsure (in case they could tell if the image was a photo not a scan): 

Please scan and attach in proper manner otherwise your application will be REJECTED

"Scan in the proper manner"! It would fit in with my experience of 'Thainess' if they rejected the image if they could tell it was a photo instead of a scan????. Has this worked OK for others?

While I'm here with the experts, just to confirm: My Thai wife and I are planning our usual 3 month (88 day) visit to Thailand. I'm trying to apply online for a Non-Imm. 'O' Type Single entry visa. We'd like to do a short trip to Vietnam. Although it's a Single Entry Visa I'm applying for, am I right we can go to Vietnam after about 60 days, and return to Thailand on the (30 day visa exemption) to finish our visit? 

HELP! On applying for my online visa as mentioned above, Step 5 downloading documents, they want 3 months of Bank Statements this came to 7 pages which I downloaded. Now in 'Preview' mode I can only see the one first page of a bank statement. It does say 'Statement's', so they're expecting more than one page. I don't know if they can view them all? 

Does any body know about this please?

1 hour ago, samsingsong said:

HELP! On applying for my online visa as mentioned above, Step 5 downloading documents, they want 3 months of Bank Statements this came to 7 pages which I downloaded. Now in 'Preview' mode I can only see the one first page of a bank statement. It does say 'Statement's', so they're expecting more than one page. I don't know if they can view them all? 

Does any body know about this please?

Think you are taking them a bit too literally! But I can understand why.... first page only. It's what I did and when I went there on Monday they just saw I had a pile of copies in a folder, checked the application on their screen, told me to collect the next day. Never even took a look at the copies. 

Also, scan/photo no difference as far as the file is concerned, they are not requesting only PDF's which would be the case if they only wanted scans.

5 hours ago, roamer said:

Think you are taking them a bit too literally! But I can understand why.... first page only. It's what I did and when I went there on Monday they just saw I had a pile of copies in a folder, checked the application on their screen, told me to collect the next day. Never even took a look at the copies. 

Also, scan/photo no difference as far as the file is concerned, they are not requesting only PDF's which would be the case if they only wanted scans.

Thanks Roamer. After 25 years I have learnt that you have to take Thai government instructions literally!

"*Please scan and attach in proper manner otherwise your application will be REJECT"

I'm applying by post, so I won't be going to the embassy with a bunch of documents. So I guess I'll send 'em in with my passport and hope that's OK. 

The problem is the instructions on how to apply don't go into enough detail. It's all supposed to be so easy peasy like 1,2,3 and they have that childish cartoon video. There is a message box at the bottom right of the application pages where you can ask questions. Problem is they don't answer them! 

Edited by samsingsong
Additional info

Hi guys, I am in the process of applying for a METV online

When uploading the documents, it doesn't let me add multiple jpg files, just one...

How can I send all this info with 0.5mb jpgs for each section when I need to send 6 months worth of bank statements, employment letter, proof of salary etc

Has anyone dealt with this before?

OR should I just send ALL the supporting documents in the post when I send my passport? 

Appreciate if anyone knows, need to send this asap as flying next month

On 10/19/2019 at 1:43 AM, r33drum said:

Hi guys, I am in the process of applying for a METV online

When uploading the documents, it doesn't let me add multiple jpg files, just one...

How can I send all this info with 0.5mb jpgs for each section when I need to send 6 months worth of bank statements, employment letter, proof of salary etc

Has anyone dealt with this before?

OR should I just send ALL the supporting documents in the post when I send my passport? 

Appreciate if anyone knows, need to send this asap as flying next month

Yes, I think that's the case - send it all in with your passport. If you check my post before yours you'll see I was asking the same-same question. 

I eventually forced everything I could into their 'online system', finally got it through, printed it, and sent Royal Mail Special Delivery yesterday. I checked earlier, saw they had received it and in the status of 'Checking Documents'. I just checked again and it says 'Print Sticker' which, in Senior Players excellent guide, he reckons is visa sticker printed. So I'm hoping that is the case and y application is successful. 

I did enclose a covering letter with mine with my own check-list of included documents. My application is for an O Type single entry. On their sheet with my photo's on they say 'By Post enclose 1) Bar Code 2) Passport 3) GBP £10 Cash 4) Return address'.  That's all they ask for. So my check list on my covering letter starts with those 4 items then (after checking what the consulate asks for on their website for my visa type) I added  5) Photocopy of wife's Thai ID card (both sides) 6) Photocopy of our Thai marriage certificate (both sides) 7) My 3 months worth of bank statements which was 7 pages. 

Hope this info helps somebody. I'll let you know if I do get my visa!

Monday: I posted my Non-Imm. O Type Single Entry  visa application. 
Tuesday: (as in my previous post) my application status was shown as 'Print Sticker'.
                 Later on Tuesday I found in my junk folder this email:
Request for Further document

Tue 22/10/2019 

Dear Applicant, 
Please ignore this email.
*Please note this is an auto generated e-mail. Please do NOT reply to this email.
Best wishes,
E-visa Team

As instructed I ignored it - as much as I could, but couldn't help thinking F.F.S and the words 'Pi$$-up' and 'Brewery' sprang to mind.

Wednesday: Status still 'Print Sticker'. 

(By the way, that screen that comes up after making

payment which says “Please stay on this page. It may take a few minutes.” I'd forgotten that Window and opened it 2 days later to find it was still going!)

Thursday: The status is still 'Print Sticker' whereas in Senior Player's case, his status had changed to 'No data available in table'. Hmmm so my sticker must be a pretty big and sticky sticker, or they have an extremely slow printer. 

I'm starting to worry that I shouldn't have ignored the email that they told me to ignore.

In previous years it's always been a fast turn around, particularly from the excellent Hull Consulate.

With this new online application system, and not being confident that I did everything correctly, I am a little concerned!

Thursday: About 16.50 the status changed to 'Return Passport'. 

Friday: Yippeeee! About 12:30 passport returned via Royal Mail Special Delivery - with my visa. Phew!

Edited by samsingsong

Ignore the Email telling you to ignore it,

Same for me except I never got to return passport it just arrived back to me.

Monday: I posted my Non-Imm. O Type Single Entry  visa application.  Tuesday: (as in my previous post) my application status was shown as 'Print Sticker'.                  Later on Tuesday I found in my junk folder this email: Request for Further document   [email protected] Tue 22/10/2019 

Dear Applicant, 
Please ignore this email.
*Please note this is an auto generated e-mail. Please do NOT reply to this email.
Best wishes,
E-visa Team

As instructed I ignored it - as much as I could, but couldn't help thinking F.F.S and the words 'Pi$$-up' and 'Brewery' sprang to mind.

Wednesday: Status still 'Print Sticker'. 

(By the way, that screen that comes up after making

payment which says “Please stay on this page. It may take a few minutes.” I'd forgotten that Window and opened it 2 days later to find it was still going!)

Thursday: The status is still 'Print Sticker' whereas in Senior Player's case, his status had changed to 'No data available in table'. Hmmm so my sticker must be a pretty big and sticky sticker, or they have an extremely slow printer. 

I'm starting to worry that I shouldn't have ignored the email that they told me to ignore.

In previous years it's always been a fast turn around, particularly from the excellent Hull Consulate.

With this new online application system, and not being confident that I did everything correctly, I am a little concerned!

Thursday: About 16.50 the status changed to 'Return Passport'. 

Friday: Yippeeee! About 12:30 passport returned via Royal Mail Special Delivery - with my visa. Phew!

Jesus!

If just reading a few pages on this topic on Thai Visa is not enough to put the average Joe Bloggs off planning to have any long holidays in Thailand then nothing is.

Some of my older pals who have been holidaying in Pattaya for decades and who had hoped to spend more time there once retired do not even know how to turn a computer on let alone apply for a visa on the internet in order to go on a long holiday.

These are never the less hard working fellows with plenty of money who don't mind spending it but will be doing so elsewhere once they're confronted with all this rigmarole.

We keep in touch by phone and many of us are now discussing the idea of visiting the PI, Cambodia and Vietnam. Bulgaria and Croatia are also getting mentioned. A friend of ours is getting some dental work done in Zagreb right now for £12,000 (about 400,000 baht) including her hotel and flight which the dental surgery pays for. The quote for dental work alone in the UK was £40,000.

Two of my friends have also spent thousands of pounds on their teeth in Pattaya but I doubt if they'll be doing so in the future. Some of these implant procedures involve a lot of visits over several weeks.

I can see hundreds of Thai businesses and Thai individuals who rely on the falang holiday maker very facing hard times in the coming years.

Having logged on and off the E-Visa website numerous times over the last week, in order to try to find a way to progress past step 3 without being greeted with the "Access is invalid, please try again" screen, I now find I'm greeted with "Information.  Exceeded maximum number of applications (10 applications)" when attempting to log in.  Can someone

help please?  Messages left on the website have, so far, been ignored.

2 hours ago, CliffH said:

Having logged on and off the E-Visa website numerous times over the last week, in order to try to find a way to progress past step 3 without being greeted with the "Access is invalid, please try again" screen, I now find I'm greeted with "Information.  Exceeded maximum number of applications (10 applications)" when attempting to log in.  Can someone

help please?  Messages left on the website have, so far, been ignored.

The system has locked you out on suspicion of attempting to hack the system. You need to contact Bangkok immigration via the link in the E visa website. Until you are unlocked you cannot use the application.

https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/#

55 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

The system has locked you out on suspicion of attempting to hack the system. You need to contact Bangkok immigration via the link in the E visa website. Until you are unlocked you cannot use the application.

https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/#

Thanks for your reply.  The link at the bottom of the Immigration home page leads me to a 'Contact us' option. This however results in the browser (Chrome) 'Connecting...' message being displayed at the bottom left of the browser, and nothing else happening.  Perhaps they switch their equipment off over the weekends?

If only they'd bring back the old postal visa system!