Thai Traffic Laws

CharlieH

• 2 months later...

I quoted two of these 'laws' in the local Police station a few moths ago, one about driving on the left and the other about not over taking at a junction, neither made any difference as the law is what they decide it seems. They said a bike had the right to drive on completely the wrong side of the road and that it was not a real junction! I still have the download for future use.

• 4 months later...

Example, bike crashed into us dead on, him 'overtaking' at a junction, cop thinks for a bit then claims our fault because not a real junction, even though it's the biggest for quite a distance. We did point out a one stage the law says no overtaking within 30 meters of a junction, real or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Example, bike crashed into us dead on, him 'overtaking' at a junction, cop thinks for a bit then claims our fault because not a real junction, even though it's the biggest for quite a distance. We did point out a one stage the law says no overtaking within 30 meters of a junction, real or not.

Don't accept his judgement and let them take it to court.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/18/2020 at 6:21 AM, VocalNeal said:

Just been up north. Many traffic lights now have arrows not simple lights.

So if the signal says red arrow straight and red arrow right, can one turn left of a straight red?

Red arrow means STOP in that direction..

As for turning left on a red light there should be a sign saying  if it is permitted or not.

p2254-450x450.jpg

18.jpg

Edited by Thunglom

4 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Red arrow means STOP in that direction..

As for turning left on a red light there should be a sign saying  if it is permitted or not.

p2254-450x450.jpg

18.jpg

Red arrow for straight ahead. Red arrow for turn right. No red arrow for turn left. No signs for anything except U-turns with number of axles. There is also a set of traffic lights in town which flash orange in one direction and red in the other direction. No arrows on that set.

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Red arrow for straight ahead. Red arrow for turn right. No red arrow for turn left. No signs for anything except U-turns with number of axles. There is also a set of traffic lights in town which flash orange in one direction and red in the other direction. No arrows on that set.

Ah - slight change of subject - one of the main problems with road safety in Thailand is the poor quality and inconsistenc=y of road single. This is down to the traffic engineers - and I see little or no evidence that Thailand has any suitably qualified people doing this.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 3:32 PM, VocalNeal said:

Flashing orange means proceed with caution, flashing red means the other (orange) road has priority. They normally change to that at night or at times of low volume traffic.

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2020 at 11:12 AM, stevenl said:
On 2/26/2020 at 5:19 PM, Orton Rd said:

Don't accept his judgement and let them take it to court.

I remember the thread Orton posted on ThaiVisa.com at the time. 

An interesting conundrum, it seems the police were making up all manner of reasons why it was Ortons fault (if I recall correctly it was his wife driving) - the Police seemed intent on following the more localised and culturally accepted solution of ‘weather person pays’ (i.e. owner of the car when involved in an accident with a bike). 

I’ve been pressured like this before, the BiB just want the quickest solution which they thing is fair - which is usually the cultural norm.....   But, they have to fold when the law is pushed - the regular guys have no idea what the laws are and won’t be told. This means going higher until the law is followed. 

------

The above issue (Orton Rd’s) does highlight how whatever the law states unless you are prepared to ‘push the issue up the chain’ it always comes down to whatever the Policeman decides.

My Wife’s cousin was pulled over for going through a traffic light on Amber. 

She was furious !!...   the Policeman was demanding money for the offense insisting that she had to stop on Amber, she was inviting that she only had to stop on Red. 

This grey area has been argued before - ultimately, its not illegal to pass through the line and enter the junction while the light is still on Amber. But, the law (borrowed from the UK highway code) states ’stop on Amber if safe to do so’ - which leaves wiggle room. 

Some have been told (in Thailand) that the Amber light must still be on when the car exits the junction, but whoever told them that has their wires crossed. It's impossible to manage that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Flashing orange means proceed with caution, flashing red means the other (orange) road has priority. They normally change to that at night or at times of low volume traffic.

Yes,???? most people in town know that.

• 4 months later...
On 10/18/2020 at 4:21 PM, VocalNeal said:

Just been up north. Many traffic lights now have arrows not simple lights.

So if the signal says red arrow straight and red arrow right, can one turn left of a straight red?

No......RED = stop!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Is it still considered potentially illegal to drive with your headlights, low beam, on during the day? I do it all the time on both car and motorcycle, but locals tell me it's illegal.

5 hours ago, Jake72 said:

Is it still considered potentially illegal to drive with your headlights, low beam, on during the day? I do it all the time on both car and motorcycle, but locals tell me it's illegal.

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the law is still on the books. However considering how many new cars have this as a standard feature you would be very unlucky to fall foul of it if still the case.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, topt said:
5 hours ago, Jake72 said:

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the law is still on the books. However considering how many new cars have this as a standard feature you would be very unlucky to fall foul of it if still the case.

I don't think it was ever a law...  it was just one of those things the corrupt BiB used to pull people up on...   

Its the same as motorcycles only being allowed in the left lane...

BiB realised it could be a money spinner... Stop ppl and if they don't argue enough they'll get a fine. 

Junior BiB learned from their seniors, some probably believed this 'passed down' law was actually a real law such is the low standard of training in the Police force here. 

Luckily - a lot of this stupidity has disappeared in the last 20 years.

• Like 1