U.S. Rep. Tlaib rejects West Bank visit, citing Israel's 'oppressive conditions'

rooster59

U.S. Rep. Tlaib rejects West Bank visit, citing Israel's 'oppressive conditions'

By Susan Heavey and Rami Ayyub

2019-08-16T135041Z_4_LYNXNPEF7F0K7_RTROPTP_4_ISRAEL-PALESTINIANS-USA.JPG

U.S. Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib listens to a comment from a constituent during a Town Hall style meeting in Inkster, Michigan, U.S. August 15, 2019. REUTERS/Rebecca Cook

WASHINGTON/JERUSALEM (Reuters) - U.S. congresswoman Rashida Tlaib on Friday rejected an offer by Israel to let her travel to the West Bank, the latest twist in a dispute drawing Donald Trump and Benjamin Netanyahu together against U.S. Democrats ahead of elections in both countries.

Tlaib, a Democrat in the U.S. House of Representatives who has been critical of Israeli policy towards the Palestinians, said she would not visit her family there because the Israeli government had imposed "oppressive conditions" to humiliate her.

She had planned to make an official visit to Israel along with fellow Democratic congresswoman Ilhan Omar of Minnesota.

Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu, under public pressure from Republican President Trump, on Thursday said he would not allow the pair to make their trip. On Friday, Israel said it would allow Tlaib to visit family in the Israel-occupied West Bank on humanitarian grounds.

The Michigan congresswoman rejected the offer, however.

"I can't allow the State of Israel to take away that light by humiliating me & use my love for my city to bow down to their oppressive & racist policies," Tlaib tweeted, using the word city to refer to her grandmother.

"Silencing me & treating me like a criminal is not what she wants for me. It would kill a piece of me. I have decided that visiting my grandmother under these oppressive conditions stands against everything I believe in--fighting against racism, oppression & injustice," she said.

Israel's Interior Ministry said it had received a letter from Tlaib on Thursday seeking permission to visit her family in the West Bank village of Beit Ur Al-Fauqa, and it granted her request.

Tlaib did not outline what the conditions imposed on her visit were. Israeli media reported that she had agreed not to promote boycotts against Israel as part of her request to Israel's Foreign Ministry.

Trump criticized Tlaib for opting not to travel to Israel after she was permitted to visit only her grandmother.

"As soon as she was granted permission, she grandstanded & loudly proclaimed she would not visit Israel," Trump wrote on Twitter on Friday evening. "Could this possibly have been a setup? Israel acted appropriately!"

Tlaib and Omar have voiced support for the pro-Palestinian Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) movement which opposes the Israeli occupation and policies toward Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza. BDS backers can be denied entry to Israel by law.

Israeli Interior Minister Aryeh Deri, who approved Tlaib’s visit request, blasted her decision not to come.

"It turns out that it was a provocation to embarrass Israel. Her hatred for Israel overcomes her love for her grandmother," he wrote on Twitter.

BAN OUTCRY

The initial ban sparked an outcry among Democrats in the U.S. Congress, who have largely been strong supporters of Israel, raising concerns about straining the two nations' relationship as Netanyahu aligns himself ever more closely with Trump.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer have strongly backed U.S. aid to Israel, which totals $3.8 billion annually, but both called on Israel to reverse the ban on their fellow Democrats on Thursday.

U.S. Representative Steny Hoyer, the second-most powerful Democrat in the House, said Israel's demands for Tlaib to visit her grandmother were unacceptable.

"Not only was this request disrespectful of Rep. Tlaib but of the United States Congress as well," Hoyer said in a statement on Friday. "This matter is a self-inflicted wound by one of America’s closest allies, one of our closest friends, and a vibrant democracy."

The American Israel Public Affairs Committee, a powerful Jewish lobbying group, said while it did not support the two congresswomen's views, they should be allowed to visit.

Most Republicans in Congress have largely remained silent about the dispute. The fact that lawmakers are on a month-long recess has allowed them to avoid pointed questions.

Republican U.S. Senator Marco Rubio was critical of Israel's move but also of the two congresswomen.

"... Denying them entry into #Israel is a mistake," Rubio wrote on Twitter. "Being blocked is what they really hoped for all along in order to bolster their attacks against the Jewish state."

Tlaib and Omar are the first two Muslim women to be elected to Congress, and the Detroit-born Tlaib is also the first Palestinian-American congresswoman. Both are members of their party's progressive wing and sharp critics of Trump and Israeli policy.

Their official visit was to have included visits to the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem, territories Israel captured in the 1967 Middle East war and which Palestinians envisage as part of an independent state along with Gaza.

DOMESTIC POLITICS

The moves by Trump and Netanyahu could help them whip up support in their conservative voter bases as each heads into election campaigns. Israel holds a national election on Sept. 17 and Trump faces re-election in November 2020.

Trump has been attacking Tlaib and Omar, along with lawmakers Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York and Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts - all women of colour known as the Squad - for weeks, accusing them of hostility to Israel in a barrage condemned by critics as racist.

While most Democrats disagree with the views of Tlaib and Omar on Israel, Trump's repeated attacks have rallied support. The president in turn has tried to paint that support as an endorsement of the two lawmakers' position and sought to make them the face of the party.

Tlaib and Omar represent districts in states Trump is aiming to win in his 2020 re-election campaign: Michigan, which he narrowly won in 2016, and Minnesota, which he narrowly lost.

Tlaib "knows what she's doing and she believes so strongly in justice in Palestine that she's giving up her chance to see her grandmother," says Frank Smith, 65, a retired auto worker in Detroit. “She must be doing something right because she’s driving Trump nuts.”

(Reporting by Rami Ayyub, additional reporting by David Morgan in Washington and Steve Friess in Ann Arbor; Writing by Ginger Gibson; Editing by Sonya Hepinstall and Cynthia Osterman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-17

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

This was simply an example of the old 'bait and switch' ploy This woman was was being sponsored by a terror - support group. Only wanted to visit Israel to stir up trouble. 

If that is the case Trump fell for it. He shouldn't have gotten involved.

24 minutes ago, Tug said:

I’m going to stand with the lady on this one on principal not that I agree with her ideas Israel should be bigger than this 

Bigger how? She was allowed to visit her family, with the caveat that she won't abuse her stay for political purposes. She declined.

And again, even her original visit was initially approved. It was Trump's intervention that led to the reversal.

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

If that is the case Trump fell for it. He shouldn't have gotten involved.

He didn't fall for anything. Hyping Tlaib (and other members of the so-called "squad" etc.) plays well with his reelection effort.

24 minutes ago, Morch said:

He didn't fall for anything. Hyping Tlaib (and other members of the so-called "squad" etc.) plays well with his reelection effort.

Doubt it. They wont be running for president.

42 minutes ago, Morch said:

Bigger how? She was allowed to visit her family, with the caveat that she won't abuse her stay for political purposes. She declined.

And again, even her original visit was initially approved. It was Trump's intervention that led to the reversal.

She refused to be muzzled sorry sir Israel is bigger than that imo they are losing the high moral ground on this one imo

1 minute ago, Tug said:

She refused to be muzzled sorry sir Israel is bigger than that imo they are losing the high moral ground on this one imo

I do not think so. I would not be surprised if it was part of the plan.

she showed her true colours , her visit had nothing to do with family , her statements are nothing but empty words.

i would wait for few days to see how this uturn works out for her.

she did not need to travel to Israel to express her opinions, muzzled she was not, but inciting hate and possible violence she was not allowed , just as highly unlikely anyone from another state would be allowed to visit any country to incite hate and violence. 

Plenty of cases people being denied entry to Australia or Uk whose track record and sole purpose was to create problems 

47 minutes ago, Tug said:

You're wrong. After the visit with Omar was scrapped, she applied for visitation right based on humanitarian need. In that request letter, she clearly accepted any limitations regarding her political activities during the visit. Right after this request was approved, she turned it down.

There's being "muzzled", and then there's provocation. No one prevents her from engaging in inflammatory rhetoric in the USA, not so sure why some consider it a given she ought to enjoy the same right in the very country she tries to de-legitimize.

Again, her original visit (with Omar), provocative as it was, got approved. By Israel's government. Decision changed after Trump intervened. Her second application (solo, on humanitarian grounds) was approved with a caveat. The first visit can be construed as official - and therefore commentary on visitors engaging in political activity may be more relevant. The second instance was (supposedly) of a more private nature - and therefore engaging in political activity would have been less relevant.

If one thing can be said about Israel, it is that they lost sight of the big picture long ago, rarely taking the correct moral position on an issue, and are an apartheid state, through and through. Their inability to handle any level of dissent reminds one of South Africa, at the height of that ugly regime. Israel is not a beacon of light for the Jews of the world. Quite the opposite. They are full time moral transgressors. I like Tlaib, and Omar. They speak to power. They often speak truth. They may be extreme, but they are exactly what Trump advertised himself as being, prior to assuming the power of the presidency. His outsider status went out the window as soon as he started appointing Wall St. execs, ex oil company execs, and lobbyists to important positions. He proved right then and there, that there was zero sincerity behind his infamous campaign slogan 'drain the swamp", as he got rid of the seven foot alligators, and proceeded to re-populate the swamp with 15 foot crocodiles, and wage his war on the people of America and the world. If you are in the top 5% he represents your interests. The rest? Well, it is apparent by his policies and rhetoric, that he despises both people without wealth, and people of color. His administration is 100% bought and paid for by American corporations. 

On the other hand, these junior congresswomen, are not owned by corporate interests, and they say what is on their mind. How refreshing is that? And someone standing up to the goombah policies of a nation that likes to call itself a democracy, yet shudders every time it encounters the slightest bit of criticism and dissent, and reverts to acting like a hurt juvenile? Israel needs the pushback. And I say all of this as an American Jew, so do not get started with the nonsensical baiting. Do not even bother. I have heard it all of my adult life. Jews are not permitted to criticize Israel policy. Period. 

@spidermike007

The usual over-the-top rant.

Israel is not an apartheid state. And the question of whether it is isn't even directly relevant to the topic. You're just piling it in.

I think there's criticism, and then there's the sort of rhetoric and views these two congresswomen dabble with. Not aware that countries and governments are all that open for provocation tours by foreign representatives calling for the country to be boycotted or dismantled.

You seem to be unaware that to begin with, their visit was approved by the Israeli government - and that this changed following Trump's intervention. Not quite fitting your narrative there, but eh. The nonsense bit about Jews not permitted to criticize Israel is dully noted - and it's counterfactual.

I do agree that there are similarities between these two congresswomen and Trump. But unlike you, I find nothing reassuring about that.

How very big of Israel to allow Tlaib to visit her family in illegally occupied territory on "humanitarian grounds", but we won't allow you to go there as an elected US Congresswoman. You are welcome to beg like all the rest of the Palestinians under occupation.

It may prompt US voters and politicians to question why a US Congresswoman must plead to visit her ageing grandmother in a country which is supposedly the USA's biggest buddy and which receives $billions in aid each year.

22 minutes ago, Morch said:

@spidermike007

Israel is not an apartheid state. And the question of whether it is isn't even directly relevant to the topic. You're just piling it in.

I think there's criticism, and then there's the sort of rhetoric and views these two congresswomen dabble with. Not aware that countries and governments are all that open for provocation tours by foreign representatives calling for the country to be boycotted or dismantled.

You seem to be unaware that to begin with, their visit was approved by the Israeli government - and that this changed following Trump's intervention. Not quite fitting your narrative there, but eh. The nonsense bit about Jews not permitted to criticize Israel is dully noted - and it's counterfactual.

I do agree that there are similarities between these two congresswomen and Trump. But unlike you, I find nothing reassuring about that.

Most of your points have some validity. Except the one about the Jews inability to have reasonable debates about Israeli policy. There is nothing inaccurate about that. Now, if you state that you ARE Jewish and have really open minded friends who are willing to debate the merits and that you have been to Israel and met people open to democratic discussions, then we can talk. I have not. I have found alot of jews that pride themselves on being tolerant. Except when it comes to the discussion of Israel!

6 minutes ago, dexterm said:

How very big of Israel to allow Tlaib to visit her family in illegally occupied territory on "humanitarian grounds", but we won't allow you to go there as an elected US Congresswoman. You are welcome to beg like all the rest of the Palestinians under occupation.

It may prompt US voters and politicians to question why a US Congresswoman must plead to visit her ageing grandmother in a country which is supposedly the USA's biggest buddy and which receives $billions in aid each year.

It is only in your imagination that visiting rights are coupled with carte blanche for hostile political activity. Your narrative doesn't even match Tlaib's actions. When she applied, she accepted the constraints - only to reject them as the application was approved. It was a PR ploy, nothing more.

30 minutes ago, Morch said:

@spidermike007

In your second paragraph you repeat your nonsense disinformation. The BDS movement does not advocate the dismantling of Israel, but does seek the termination of the racist supremacist ideology of Zionism..the root of the entire conflict.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott,_Divestment_and_Sanctions#Goals_of_the_campaign

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Most of your points have some validity. Except the one about the Jews inability to have reasonable debates about Israeli policy. There is nothing inaccurate about that. Now, if you state that you ARE Jewish and have really open minded friends who are willing to debate the merits and that you have been to Israel and met people open to democratic discussions, then we can talk. I have not. I have found alot of jews that pride themselves on being tolerant. Except when it comes to the discussion of Israel!

There are plenty of Jews critical of Israel's government and policy. Both in Israel and elsewhere. That you claim otherwise is nonsensical and counterfactual. As commented on many occasions, I've lived and worked in Israel (and the future Palestinian state) for a wee bit more than I've lived in Thailand. I've also lived in the USA. Your broad brush assertions aren't even close to my experience.

And this got little to do with the topic, of course.

11 minutes ago, Morch said:

It is only in your imagination that visiting rights are coupled with carte blanche for hostile political activity. Your narrative doesn't even match Tlaib's actions. When she applied, she accepted the constraints - only to reject them as the application was approved. It was a PR ploy, nothing more.

Yes Tlaib did have second thoughts about enduring the humiliation by Israel.

"Silencing me & treating me like a criminal is not what she [her grandmother] wants for me. It would kill a piece of me. I have decided that visiting my grandmother under these oppressive conditions stands against everything I believe in--fighting against racism, oppression & injustice"
https://t.co/z5t5j3qk4H

3 minutes ago, Morch said:

There are plenty of Jews critical of Israel's government and policy. Both in Israel and elsewhere. That you claim otherwise is nonsensical and counterfactual. As commented on many occasions, I've lived and worked in Israel (and the future Palestinian state) for a wee bit more than I've lived in Thailand. I've also lived in the USA. Your broad brush assertions aren't even close to my experience.

And this got little to do with the topic, of course.

And yet these Jews are not allowed to visit Israel if they support a non violent organisation (BDS) that opposes the current right wing Israeli government's policies. So much for the only so called democracy in the Middle East

2 minutes ago, dexterm said:

In your second paragraph you repeat your nonsense disinformation. The BDS movement does not advocate the dismantling of Israel, but does seek the termination of the racist supremacist ideology of Zionism..the root of the entire conflict.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott,_Divestment_and_Sanctions#Goals_of_the_campaign

No disinformation, unless you're referencing your own lame attempt at such. The very same Wikipedia page you cherry picked from includes references to BDS positions and views being more varied than you claim.

There are several sections dealing with such issues even on the page you linked:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott,_Divestment_and_Sanctions#Criticism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott,_Divestment_and_Sanctions#Allegations_of_antisemitism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott,_Divestment_and_Sanctions#Opposition

And a link to a separate page dealing more extensively with the same:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactions_to_Boycott,_Divestment_and_Sanctions

And for the record, this isn't the first time you try this "argument", or post that cherry picked bit.

5 minutes ago, dexterm said:

Yes Tlaib did have second thoughts about enduring the humiliation by Israel.

"Silencing me & treating me like a criminal is not what she [her grandmother] wants for me. It would kill a piece of me. I have decided that visiting my grandmother under these oppressive conditions stands against everything I believe in--fighting against racism, oppression & injustice"
https://t.co/z5t5j3qk4H

Embracing her narrative is a choice. The timeline doesn't support this version much, though.

3 minutes ago, dexterm said:

And yet these Jews are not allowed to visit Israel if they support a non violent organisation (BDS) that opposes the current right wing Israeli government's policies. So much for the only so called democracy in the Middle East

Falsely equating between BDS and criticism is a choice. But it isn't as if all critics (Jewish or otherwise) of Israel are barred from visiting the country. You try to paint the BDS narrative as legitimate criticism. There are many who do not share your position. And again, it is only in your imagination that visitation rights are coupled with hostile political activity in the country one visits.

The original visit of the two congresswomen was approved. The narrative you push seems to ignore that.

4 minutes ago, Morch said:

No disinformation, unless you're referencing your own lame attempt at such. The very same Wikipedia page you cherry picked from includes references to BDS positions and views being more varied than you claim.

There are several sections dealing with such issues even on the page you linked:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott,_Divestment_and_Sanctions#Criticism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott,_Divestment_and_Sanctions#Allegations_of_antisemitism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott,_Divestment_and_Sanctions#Opposition

And a link to a separate page dealing more extensively with the same:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactions_to_Boycott,_Divestment_and_Sanctions

And for the record, this isn't the first time you try this "argument", or post that cherry picked bit.

Deflection. You have cherry picked "criticisms" and "allegations" (anyone can edit wikipedia within limits). I was referring to the official goals of BDS as you well know, not your and others' opinion of it. You are confusing fact and opinions again.

1 minute ago, Morch said:

Falsely equating between BDS and criticism is a choice. But it isn't as if all critics (Jewish or otherwise) of Israel are barred from visiting the country. You try to paint the BDS narrative as legitimate criticism. There are many who do not share your position. And again, it is only in your imagination that visitation rights are coupled with hostile political activity in the country one visits.

The original visit of the two congresswomen was approved. The narrative you push seems to ignore that.

So why did they change their minds so readily? Two racists Netanyahu and Trump in cahoots with each other helping each other to re-election. And they have the Chutzpah of accusing Omar and Tlaib of falsely claiming some US politicians have dual loyalties.

1 minute ago, dexterm said:

Deflection. You have cherry picked "criticisms" and "allegations" (anyone can edit wikipedia within limits). I was referring to the official goals of BDS as you well know, not your and others' opinion of it. You are confusing fact and opinions again.

No, you cherry picked one part from a rather lengthy Wikipedia page. A short stroll through various BDS related websites would see many versions of goals and rhetoric employed. If one considers your own and other posters "contributions" on this in the forum - the point is rather clear.

You couldn't edit this Wikipedia page without being contested. Give it a try if you wish. And if that's your "argument" then it would hold for the part you quoted as well.

Archived