Indian Restaurant in Hat Yai

phuketsub

Does anyone know of a good Indian restaurant in Haad Yai? I am also interested in buying Indian spices and trying my hand at making it myself.

Does anyone know where they are available? I grow tumeric and ginger in my garden, so have plenty of them, but I still feel like something is missing.

Anyway, any help much appreciated as usual...

There's only one Indian restaurant in Hat Yai that I know of, that's Namaste on Nipathutit 1 (the colourful buildings street). It's southern Indian, Tamil cuisine, which I don't much enjoy.

As for Indian spices, if you can't find what you want in Kimyong, then a trip to Malaysia is probably the best option.

20 hours ago, Stocky said:

There's only one Indian restaurant in Hat Yai that I know of, that's Namaste on Nipathutit 1 (the colourful buildings street). It's southern Indian, Tamil cuisine, which I don't much enjoy.

As for Indian spices, if you can't find what you want in Kimyong, then a trip to Malaysia is probably the best option.

Thanks Stocky, I subsequently found out through Google that Namaste has a second branch (at least I assume they are related) near PSU, but they require you to book a table and order a day in advance. I think I'll just pop my head in there first and have a look.

Kimyong definitely seems to be the place to pick up all the more exotic stuff...will definitely give that a go.

Hadn't realised they'd opened another restaurant near the university, I know the one in town is popular. I went there once years ago when I had a craving for Indian food, but was disappointed.

Most Indian dishes rely on a basic garam masala which is just a combination of spices, all of which you should be able to find in Kimyong - should be whole spice rather than powders. Usually all or most of the following, depending on which recipe you follow (plenty to choose from on the Internet).

• Coriander seeds
  • Cumin seeds
  • Green Cardamom pods
  • Cloves
  • Black pepper corns
  • Cinnamon
  • Fennel
  • Nutmeg
  • Dried red chilli

You just grind them all into a powder and then keep in an airtight container.

Just saying .. A while back a sign appeared on a shop near the Sakura hotel, “Indian Curry House - Coming soon”

We were looking forward to it opening, but nothing came of it, and the sign seems to have vanished. 

Isn’t Namaste a vegitarian joint? 

Not sure if Namaste is vegetarian or not. If it is, this carnivore will give it a miss. The good news is that I did get some of the spices for Garam Masala as recommended by Stocky. I found them at Makro. I kind of feel like I have opened a culinary version of Pandora's Box now...

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

“Indian Curry House - Coming soon”

If that was posted in English one can only assume it was yet another Malaysian and his 'tilac' seeing an opening for a restaurant. If it never got to open well at least he didn't lose as much money as he might have.

Archived