Septic tank rings

Wongkitlo

6 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Why ?

Many reasons. Cesspits release concentrated waste causing groundwater pollution. Use of TP blocks the water from draining out so Thai's either don't use TP or put the used TP in a basket next to the toilet. Overflows are common and mean toilets don't flush and the house becomes a health hazard with human waste seeping on the ground. Cesspits need the pumping mafia to come out frequently and you will pay whatever they want to shake you down for with dual pricing schemes. They then dump the waste on the ground somewhere else creating more environmental problems. When cesspits stop draining fast enough a new one needs dug and installed doubling the costs again and again. A cesspit is a disgusting bottomless bucket of <deleted>. There is no waste treatment at all. These systems are illegal in the countries we come from because they are total nonsense.

A septic tank treats the waste using microorganisms. And when the treated waste is fed into a proper drain field the waste is treated yet again and finally the nitrogen is recaptured by plantings in the yard to good benefit. Done properly septic systems can be totally maintenance free and very environmentally sound. Every house should have one.

3 hours ago, canopy said:

Many reasons. Cesspits release concentrated waste causing groundwater pollution. Use of TP blocks the water from draining out so Thai's either don't use TP or put the used TP in a basket next to the toilet. Overflows are common and mean toilets don't flush and the house becomes a health hazard with human waste seeping on the ground. Cesspits need the pumping mafia to come out frequently and you will pay whatever they want to shake you down for with dual pricing schemes.

I agree on the vast use of TP however moderate amounts have no detrimental effect as it breaks down, I have been using it and flushing it for years.

Also the concrete ring tanks in our old house have been in use for at least 15 years, they never smell, they have never filled, they have never been pumped. YMMV.

I believe Canopy has answered the question posted by Huckenfell in a very complete manner. The approved house plan posted below has three 1000 liter DOS grey Ultra series septic tanks. Since 2008 none of the septic tanks have caused any problems. None of the grey DOS Ultra septic tanks have ever been emptied. Never once has the honey bucket wagon visited this home with six bathrooms located in Buriram Province. Each 1000 liter septic tank receives fresh effluent from two toilets and one Toto Urinial. Rings are a great item for the OP stated purpose, but a very poor option in 2019 when building a bathroom in Isaan. A lower end model 1000 liter black septic tank made in Thailand by Safe Tank or DOS costs less than 3200 baht. Just as in water storage tanks there are many grades of septic tanks available when you build or buy a home in Thailand.

https://www.buriramhome.com/buriram-architect-house-floor-plans/

25 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I agree on the vast use of TP however moderate amounts have no detrimental effect as it breaks down, I have been using it and flushing it for years.

Also the concrete ring tanks in our old house have been in use for at least 15 years, they never smell, they have never filled, they have never been pumped. YMMV.

Same with the ones at the resort where i m now living. They have just installed another tank and i notice that they are sealing the joins and bottom with some kind of tubed filler.

On 8/25/2019 at 11:04 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

I for one am not at all convinced that there is anything wrong with Concrete ring septic, provided they are properly installed. I have lived in several places with concrete rings and there has never been any problem. The microbe action works just as well in concrete as in plastic, only difference is that plastic tanks are pretty and cost a hell of a lot more money.

12 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

I for one am not at all convinced that there is anything wrong with Concrete ring septic, provided they are properly installed. I have lived in several places with concrete rings and there has never been any problem. The microbe action works just as well in concrete as in plastic, only difference is that plastic tanks are pretty and cost a hell of a lot more money.

A septic tank can be made of concrete if someone is knowledgeable enough to build it out properly. That's not the point. The point is a septic system treats the waste where a cesspit is a storage bucket of waste that pollutes the groundwater and environment, does little or no waste treatment, needs pumped frequently, and can plug up and stop working in time. Anyone whose waste pours into a stack of rings has a cesspit. This is the common building approach in Thailand. That's why you see pumping trucks trolling around all the villages looking for people with backed up systems. That's not something you see in a developed country.

On 9/1/2019 at 6:12 PM, Huckenfell said:

The plastic tanks have media built in to the system for the microbes to live in and multiply, which the effluent has to pass through. 

The concrete rings don't have this media, so the microbes do not work as effectively. I'm sure you "could" have a concrete ring cesspit with a media bed for the microbes, but I'm equally sure that 99.99999% do not have one.

On 9/2/2019 at 7:02 AM, canopy said:

A septic tank can be made of concrete if someone is knowledgeable enough to build it out properly. That's not the point. The point is a septic system treats the waste where a cesspit is a storage bucket of waste that pollutes the groundwater and environment, does little or no waste treatment, needs pumped frequently, and can plug up and stop working in time. Anyone whose waste pours into a stack of rings has a cesspit. This is the common building approach in Thailand. That's why you see pumping trucks trolling around all the villages looking for people with backed up systems. That's not something you see in a developed country.

Sorry i cannot agree , think you are just guessing, the microbiotic  action works just the same in concrete as in plastic i have never had a problem with concrete rings, and if built correctly there will be an allowance for overflow from 2nd tank, drainage trenches (French drains) which plastic tanks also need.

23 hours ago, MikeN said:

The plastic tanks have media built in to the system for the microbes to live in and multiply, which the effluent has to pass through. 

The concrete rings don't have this media, so the microbes do not work as effectively. I'm sure you "could" have a concrete ring cesspit with a media bed for the microbes, but I'm equally sure that 99.99999% do not have one.

I have just GOOGLED Plastic septic tank deign & details and find no special "media bed" for microbes. In all designs , concrete included, the affluent just feeds into the first tank and settles where it is processed by the microbes, the treated water goes to the top and drains into the 2nd tank which overflows when full into the drainage trenches.   Have a look if not convinced !

@Huckenfell Search for membrane bioreactor to find what MikeN is referring to.  Technically it is not a septic tank, but an aerobic treatment system. A septic tank, plastic or concrete (with a bottom and properly sealed joints) are both anaerobic treatment systems. The benefit of aerobic treatment is it reduces the amount of sludge built up significantly, and discharges cleaner water than a septic tank. The disadvantage is they are more expensive and require maintenance and some energy to run a blower.

All of as being from different countries ,use different terms , and do at time cause confusion.

What we are talking is a sewage treatment system. 

First you need a collection tank.It can be either the rings creating a collection chamber , or one of the new plastic collection chambers. For raw sewage containing solids, a Plastic tank designed for that purpose is more desirable for a number of reasons. its design allows for a  more even distribution of solids, and the feed and overflow pipes are integrated and located at the optimum location.

In my build we used both, the plastic for solids from the toilets, and the rings for gray water from kitchen sinks and washing machines. The Gray water rings since they don't have solids to break down , are absorbed by the gwound directly.

The Plastic solid sewage collection tank allowed  for bacteria to break down and liquify solids, liquid being lighter flows to the top where it is skimmed by the overflow and transferred to another set of concrete rings where it is  absorbed by the ground.

All tanks have pump out access allowing the system to be bumped if absorption is not adequate.  In the two years we has the system servicing two kitchens,,(inside and outside) one laundry room, and two bathrooms never needed to be pumped out.

I had the rings drilled out to aid in the  ground absorption process.

image.png.71f26799869c564e26b857a3c57f759a.png

Plastic sewage collection tank . Notice design to facilitate distribution of solids integrated feed and overflow pipes.

image.png.86e153d9ee3e57d3b55113965419202e.png

Plastic sewage collection tank located in the middle. Concrete rings for liquifies solids on one side and in the front for easier pumping if required, Gray water concrete tanks on the other side and back of the house.

image.thumb.png.7cc5affe7824704ff5941861d00c5e23.png

Hope my explanation did not confuse too much, and provided some clarity in the subject.

^^^^^

Notice flexible connections between the tanks and drain pipes to allow for some ground movement without the pipes cracking .

Also 2 inch  pipes vent were originally located by the fence wall, which is two Meters high and  a few  inches higher than my nose, I made them move them to the roof of the house, two floors high.

That tank looks awfully small. The key to treating the waste is retention time. If your tank is too small new waste will get flushed out before the treatment has had a chance to finish which will plug up what's past the outlet and send primary waste there. Calculate your tank size. Think of the absolute maximum amount of water that can enter the tank on any 4 day period of its life; make sure to think of gatherings and guest situations that might happen at your house. That's the starting size of the tank you want. Also note as a tank is used some solids can slowly build up on the bottom over the years which slowly reduces its capacity. So add extra capacity to extend the lifetime without pumping needed. Oversizing tanks is always positive. And one big tank performs better than a few small ones. Never make the mistake of choosing your tank size because it's the size you see other people using (blind leading the blind situation). Always calculate your tank size.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:39 PM, Huckenfell said:

I have just GOOGLED Plastic septic tank deign & details and find no special "media bed" for microbes. In all designs , concrete included, the affluent just feeds into the first tank and settles where it is processed by the microbes, the treated water goes to the top and drains into the 2nd tank which overflows when full into the drainage trenches.   Have a look if not convinced !

Try googling DOS septic tanks then ( DOS are probably the biggest septic tank supplier in Thailand).

Or I can save you the trouble https://dos.co.th/products/dos-hero

DOS.JPG.bec8ac3ef93a3c6678288ee851b28d47.JPG

Archived