'Easy Rider' actor Peter Fonda dead at age 79

rooster59

'Easy Rider' actor Peter Fonda dead at age 79

By Alex Dobuzinskis

2019-08-16T225710Z_1_LYNXNPEF7F1OY_RTROPTP_4_PEOPLE-PETER-FONDA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Actor Peter Fonda poses for a portrait on a replica of the "Captain America" bike in Glendale, California October 23, 2009. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni/File Photo

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Oscar nominated actor Peter Fonda, who played a cool and introspective motorcyclist in the 1969 film "Easy Rider" that captured the spirit of the era's counterculture movement, died on Friday at age 79, his family said in a statement.

Fonda, the son of Hollywood leading man Henry Fonda and the brother of Jane Fonda, died at his home in Los Angeles on Friday morning of respiratory failure from lung cancer, the statement said.

"It is with deep sorrow that we share the news that Peter Fonda has passed away," it said, adding: "In honour of Peter, please raise a glass to freedom."

"While we mourn the loss of this sweet and gracious man, we also wish for all to celebrate his indomitable spirit and love of life," the family said.

Fonda played the wanderer Wyatt in "Easy Rider," opposite the late Dennis Hopper who co-starred as fellow biker Billy and directed the film.

In the movie, Wyatt and Billy set out on their motorbikes to discover America and have a number of misadventures, befriending an attorney played by Jack Nicholson, before meeting violent deaths.

"Easy Rider," with a script co-written by Fonda, helped usher in a period known as the "New Hollywood" era of filmmaking, which often avoided happy endings and other conventions of the Hollywood studio system.

Fonda was nominated for an Academy Award for his work on the script of "Easy Rider" and went on to act in movies and television shows at a steady pace in the decades after, achieving a second career highlight when he was nominated for a best actor Oscar for his role as a beekeeper in the 1997 drama "Ulee's Gold."

His other notable film appearances included supporting roles in the remake of the western "3:10 to Yuma" and the action-fantasy "Ghost Rider," which both came out in 2007.

Jane Fonda, who is known for her role in the 1968 film "Barbarella" and in the ongoing Netflix series "Grace and Frankie," expressed sadness at her brother's death.

"He was my sweet-hearted baby brother. The talker of the family," she said in a statement. "I have had beautiful alone time with him these last days. He went out laughing."

MOTHER'S SUICIDE

Peter Fonda, born in 1940 in New York City, lost his mother, the socialite Frances Ford Seymour, as a child when she took her own life.

Fonda later said in interviews he did not know his mother's death had been due to suicide until years later. The late Henry Fonda, who during his life had five wives, had earlier told Seymour he wanted a divorce.

Growing up, Peter Fonda attended a number of boarding schools and suffered serious injury when he accidentally shot himself with a rifle at age 11.

He admired his father, the star of films such as "The Grapes of Wrath" and "12 Angry Men," but would later describe him as emotionally distant, at least with his son.

Peter Fonda is survived by wife Margaret DeVogelaere and by his children with former wife Susan Brewer, Bridget and Justin Fonda. Both children have also worked in Hollywood.

(Additional reporting by Lisa Richwine in Los Angeles; Editing by Bill Tarrant and Chris Reese)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-17

I always enjoyed his acting. He has this easy going attitude, a great voice, good looks, and a real screen presence. He kept quite busy with his acting career, but never got the leading roles I think he deserved, and could handle. He and Terrence Stamp were stunning in The Limey. Such a great film. Ulee's Gold too. Great stuff. Will miss him. 

Never cared too much for the actor but RIP.  I found both Nicholson and Dennis Hopper far more entertaining in the movie which was essentially Hopper's project although Fonda received so much credit for it.  It was an interesting and entertaining movie even with the simplistic ending.  I suggest watching the documentary on the filming of the movie.  Most don't realize they were going about 25 or 30 mph in most of the scenes lol. 

1 hour ago, tlandtday said:

I suggest watching the documentary on the filming of the movie.  Most don't realize they were going about 25 or 30 mph in most of the scenes lol. 

I won't watch the filming of any movies. It kills the magic of the finished product. 

I was once on the set of a popular TV series in the 80's: 'CHiPs' featuring 2 cops on bikes. The bikes were towed by a car. No real biking at all. 

Henry Fonda was a super actor who won several Oscars. Peter was a basic acid head and made a couple nothing movies, Easy Rider being most remembered. His younger Sister Jane was best known for posing as operating a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun in 1972 during the US Led Viet Nam war.

4 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

This is the guy who wanted Barron Trump locked in a cell of Pedos 

Couple of good movies but in the end, no tears ???? for him 

Not so sure about the baron. He has not had enough time to wreak much destruction on the world yet. But, certainly Don Jr. Eric and Ivanka deserve an ugly fate. One that hopefully is coming their way, once Trump loses the next election, due to his own silly and inane policies, and his inability to not be hateful and vengeful 24 hours a day. The SDNY will be all over that family, once he is ousted from office.

Fonda was simply expressing the kind of animosity that family engenders. For good reason, though the above statement might be just a tad over the top. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Not so sure about the baron. He has not had enough time to wreak much destruction on the world yet. But, certainly Don Jr. Eric and Ivanka deserve an ugly fate. One that hopefully is coming their way, once Trump loses the next election, due to his own silly and inane policies, and his inability to not be hateful and vengeful 24 hours a day. The SDNY will be all over that family, once he is ousted from office.

Fonda was simply expressing the kind of animosity that family engenders. For good reason, though the above statement might be just a tad over the top. 

Thanks ever so much for putting your leftist liberal political views in this thread about a loved actor dying.  It's such a comfort to all.  

I think Easy Rider was the first movie I saw in 1970 when I came back from Vietnam.  I went right out and bought a Harley.  I'm not so sure he was a great actor but I sure enjoyed the roles he played in several movies.  RIP Peter.  

I have a m8 who in 1969 went to the east coast of Canada , took his 1952 Sunbeam S8 with him , road across Canada to the west coast , then went south to California and watched Easy Rider in LA.  He was still riding his bike solo . After watching ER he said for the first time in his life he wanted a gun to carry.

Actually it was Dennis Hopper who was the force behind Easy Rider, his dealings involving how the movie was made changed the movie business.  There was a certain social group of young movie biz hopefuls in the '50s and '60s, some with new visions (Coppola and a lot of the people who became his technical crew, Hopper, Bob Rafelson) and those who were just waiting for their Big Break (Jack Nicholson, Bruce Dern) to name a few.  I guess one of the bankable factors of Easy Rider was that "Henry Fonda's son" was in it, something that would draw in the parents and grandparents of my generation.

There is a scene in Easy Rider where they and the 2 girls they pick up in New Orleans are hanging out in a cemetery, and they're on acid -- and I would think they really were, why not?  At one point it shows Fonda freaking out, in an imaginary conversation with his mother.  Always wondered about that.  I never thought much of Pete as an actor, but there was a movie (I think in the 1990s) about yuppie motorcycle riders, and Pete shows up in a self-parody cameo, not many people in show biz could handle that.

For those who are unfamiliar with Henry check out "12 Angry Men" or "The Ox Bow Incident."

I saw Jane in Cat Ballou at a tender age, man did she look good! 

14 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Thanks ever so much for putting your leftist liberal political views in this thread about a loved actor dying.  It's such a comfort to all.  

You are amusing. You should hear yourself. Next time you are in a pet store, compare yourself to a parrot. The way you speak. The way you mimic things others around you say.

The fact is I am a democrat, and very proud of that fact. But, I am centrist at best, and many of my democratic friends consider me on the conservative side, with my support of the death penalty, my willingness to go along with extreme vetting of Arabs from hostile nations, etc, etc. Leftist? Thank you. That is very kind of you to call me a leftist. The utmost compliment. The very definition of being the opposite of that, has changed so dramatically, in the past two years. Being a leftist (your definition of a democrat) equates to:

compassion toward others

concern for the environment

someone who does not deny science

a willingness to properly steward the precious land and water

not denying the obvious, when it comes to man made climate change

letting a woman choose what she wants to do with her body

treating immigrants with a measure of respect and dignity, and admitting that the LEGAL immigration system is completely broken

not hurling insults at every perceived adversary

honoring treaties with nations we have spent decades building alliances with

avoiding the coddling of dictators 

learning how to negotiate properly with adversaries, and not taking them at their every word

being able to say no to a lobbyist

being able to say no to the NRA

government support for the arts and sciences

more substantial resistance of offshore drilling, especially in very sensitive areas, like the spawning grounds of 90% of the nation's salmon!

support of alternative forms of energy

support of deeper background checks for guns, in order to prevent many more mass murders from happening

not always sucking up to Israel no matter how inane, extreme and hateful their policies are

I could go on and on and on. I am very proud of supporting these positions. 

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You are amusing. You should hear yourself. Next time you are in a pet store, compare yourself to a parrot. The way you speak. The way you mimic things others around you say.

The fact is I am a democrat, and very proud of that fact. But, I am centrist at best, and many of my democratic friends consider me on the conservative side, with my support of the death penalty, my willingness to go along with extreme vetting of Arabs from hostile nations, etc, etc. Leftist? Thank you. That is very kind of you to call me a leftist. The utmost compliment. The very definition of being the opposite of that, has changed so dramatically, in the past two years. Being a leftist (your definition of a democrat) equates to:

compassion toward others

concern for the environment

someone who does not deny science

a willingness to properly steward the precious land and water

not denying the obvious, when it comes to man made climate change

letting a woman choose what she wants to do with her body

treating immigrants with a measure of respect and dignity, and admitting that the LEGAL immigration system is completely broken

not hurling insults at every perceived adversary

honoring treaties with nations we have spent decades building alliances with

avoiding the coddling of dictators 

learning how to negotiate properly with adversaries, and not taking them at their every word

being able to say no to a lobbyist

being able to say no to the NRA

government support for the arts and sciences

more substantial resistance of offshore drilling, especially in very sensitive areas, like the spawning grounds of 90% of the nation's salmon!

support of alternative forms of energy

support of deeper background checks for guns, in order to prevent many more mass murders from happening

not always sucking up to Israel no matter how inane, extreme and hateful their policies are

I could go on and on and on. I am very proud of supporting these positions. 

You sound as handy as the twunt I came across in Villa today, ranting to the staff about the price they were asking for a Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pie being the equivalent of "six quid back home" flapping his arms and repeatedly telling the staff that "nobody's gonna buy that."

Tailwinds Wyatt...

On 8/17/2019 at 2:38 PM, worgeordie said:

Bi Peter, remember in the movie ,when the rednecks blew Billy off the chopper,what a shock,especially when you were tripping.

great soundtrack.cult movie 

regards worgeordie

I was tripping? Wow. Coooool!

I don't remember it at all. Must have been really good acid.

Great movie. Great cast, he lucked out there with Nicholson and Hopper. He's really one trick pony. Just this flick...

Sad life but I find it difficult to shed a tear for famous millionaires dying of lung cancer.

Made it to 80. Good on ya bro.

20 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

I have a m8 who in 1969 went to the east coast of Canada , took his 1952 Sunbeam S8 with him , road across Canada to the west coast , then went south to California and watched Easy Rider in LA.  He was still riding his bike solo . After watching ER he said for the first time in his life he wanted a gun to carry.

I grew up in California and was very into cars. Mostly Porsches, VWs and Mustang's. Sunbeam Tiger w Ford 289 was the balls. My teen wetdream. That and the Porsche 914-6. Good I outgrew it all before it killed me.

Archived