Wife of Houston-area Navy veteran held in Thailand prison begs politicians for help

rooster59

Wife of Houston-area Navy veteran held in Thailand prison begs politicians for help

Lauren Talarico

1pm.jpg.8ec3824b70698a29f7cbca2d9362ad2d.jpg

A Navy veteran from Richmond is locked up in a Thai prison for something his family says he didn’t do. Derrick Keller’s family is frustrated with U.S. politicians.

RICHMOND, Texas — By the end of August, a U.S. Navy veteran from Richmond will find out if he will spend 30 years in a Thai prison for a crime his family says they can prove he didn’t do.

Tanya Keller, Derrick Keller’s wife, flew to Houston from China to beg local politicians for help.

Derrick Keller was arrested on Aug. 20, 2018, after he and Tanya Keller landed in Bangkok for a vacation.

Full story: https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/wife-of-houston-area-navy-veteran-held-in-thailand-prison-begs-politicians-for-help/285-baa4b097-d307-4fa2-a28e-3dc37d251851

KHOU-11: 2019-08-17

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the article linked, 

“They (prosecutors) don’t have a picture (implicating Keller). They don’t have a video, they don’t have a money trail, they don’t have any documents that he signed, they don’t have anything. None of that exists," Tanya Keller said.

Missionaries who have been able to visit Derrick Keller report he’s lost 70 pounds, is disheartened and worried.

This guy was part of a TV thread several months ago, the guy signed up with an agency in China to be an American "model" or an American "spokesperson" for some Chinese company as I recall. 

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

so being a veteran in the armed forces makes one special ?

Sure does, U.S. taxpayers now supply more money annually for Retired military veterans than we do for Active military.  That is a lot of money spent, plus all the free medical benefits at VA hospitals, GI bill, low interest loans for houses, etc.. 

You would think someone in the U.S. military / government would look into the allegations for this family.  Would not cost them anything in reality as all their salaries are paid by taxpayers 

Military_Expenditures_2018_SIPRI.png

23 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

so being a veteran in the armed forces makes one special ?

If you put your life on the line to defend your country, your country should defend you if your innocent. 

The wife is asking for help looking into the situation, as I’m sure any good wife in her position might do. 

So so much negativity when anything remotely political is mentioned, it’s like a mental illness. 

33 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

From the article linked, 

“They (prosecutors) don’t have a picture (implicating Keller). They don’t have a video, they don’t have a money trail, they don’t have any documents that he signed, they don’t have anything. None of that exists," Tanya Keller said.

Missionaries who have been able to visit Derrick Keller report he’s lost 70 pounds, is disheartened and worried.

This guy was part of a TV thread several months ago, the guy signed up with an agency in China to be an American "model" or an American "spokesperson" for some Chinese company as I recall. 

He has a reclame video. He is one of the shema wich clear many old people from their money. He is a thief

15 minutes ago, bushdoctor said:

If you put your life on the line to defend your country, your country should defend you if your innocent. 

The wife is asking for help looking into the situation, as I’m sure any good wife in her position might do. 

So so much negativity when anything remotely political is mentioned, it’s like a mental illness. 

I'm all for supporting veterans who defend their country, it starts to get blurry for me when veterans are defending their country on foreign shores. 

yeah its a bit weird, when the yanks ex forces,  like to quote ex service, never get that in the uk, it would read like *John Smith, ex lance corporal, formerly of  the black watch was done for speeding yesterday* ha ha

33 minutes ago, bushdoctor said:

I'm sure any partner would try to help but why all this "he's a navy veteran" What has that got to do with anything, he joined up of his own accord presumably but that was then, has nothing to do with this case. He will stand trial and he will have a chance to prove his innocence or the prosecutor will prove his guilt. This is Thailand not America.

3 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

yeah its a bit weird, when the yanks ex forces,  like to quote ex service, never get that in the uk, it would read like *John Smith, ex lance corporal, formerly of  the black watch was done for speeding yesterday* ha ha

His wife asks the police to drop all charges because 5 years ago he went to Iraq. ????

51 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Sure does, U.S. taxpayers now supply more money annually for Retired military veterans than we do for Active military.  That is a lot of money spent, plus all the free medical benefits at VA hospitals, GI bill, low interest loans for houses, etc.. 

You would think someone in the U.S. military / government would look into the allegations for this family.  Would not cost them anything in reality as all their salaries are paid by taxpayers 

Military_Expenditures_2018_SIPRI.png

Why, it's got nothing to do with America, he is a civilian who is accused of committing fraud against other civilians in a foreign country, what do you want, send in the seals?

I believe the guy was just guillable, flattered by the attention and a chance for a salary. I think some guys would fall for this trap and be used and abused. I recently became acquainted with a retired U. S. Air Force Major. His level of maturity and worldliness could easily make him a, patsy. This new acquaintance possesses naivety on Steroids an causes me to believe that, this accused fellow got dupped in China - believed the con he got caught up in Thailand. It was a great deal for him, spokesman for the great sounding venture, travel, 5 star hotels, business meetings,... Being naive does not make one guilty 

setting aside all the stupid nonsense posts so far on this thread -

it would be interesting to know what evidence Thai prosecution have on this guy that proves his guilt, just being hired by a "so called" company as a con tractor doesn't mean he knew or was involved in what they were doing - different matter if they have evidence showing he was actively involved in the scam and was in receipt of the criminal proceeds, guilty by association doesn't cut it

20 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

what do you want, send in the seals?

Well they're not far away if you can prise them off their bar stools in Pattaya. They could take all the SAS and Delta Force with them too.

23 minutes ago, JDGRUEN said:

I believe the guy was just guillable, flattered by the attention and a chance for a salary. I think some guys would fall for this trap and be used and abused. I recently became acquainted with a retired U. S. Air Force Major. His level of maturity and worldliness could easily make him a, patsy. This new acquaintance possesses naivety on Steroids an causes me to believe that, this accused fellow got dupped in China - believed the con he got caught up in Thailand. It was a great deal for him, spokesman for the great sounding venture, travel, 5 star hotels, business meetings,... Being naive does not make one guilty 

"Being naive does not make one guilty" Neither does it excuse criminal acts.

22 minutes ago, smedly said:

it would be interesting to know what evidence Thai prosecution have on this guy that proves his guilt,

If somebody important has lost money in this scam, and judging by the amount claimed to have been stolen, only important rich folks in Thailand would have that kind of money, well, the evidence won't matter to the court. Remember in Thailand the higher the status of the victim, the less the chance of justice for the accused. Sakdina always applies.

7 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

"Being naive does not make one guilty" Neither does it excuse criminal acts.

However, it was he is charged with has a requirement of intent for a guilty verdict, then he should not be charged with that crime. However it is all irrelevant in Thailand, it is the status of his "victims" that counts. The judges will rule on that.

The use of the word 'Veteran' is vastly used and abused. It can include someone who served 6 months, 2 years, ten years, 20 years or more. The fact that he 'served his country' is irrelevant in this case. It can also cover anyone from a Chef to a Tier One SF operator. It's very misleading and disingenuous to bandy the world about. 

Signed 

A Retired member of the Armed Forces with over 25 years of service.

(Am I a Veteran or not?)

1 hour ago, JDGRUEN said:

Unfortunately I gather just being a part of it makes him guilty by association and does not mean diddley squat whether knowing or not. His recorded face and name are his down fall. Nothing he can do as guilty by association.

36 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

The use of the word 'Veteran' is vastly used and abused. It can include someone who served 6 months, 2 years, ten years, 20 years or more. The fact that he 'served his country' is irrelevant in this case. It can also cover anyone from a Chef to a Tier One SF operator. It's very misleading and disingenuous to bandy the world about. 

Signed 

(Am I a Veteran or not?)

Forgive my ignorance but what is a Tier One SF operator. I was Trade Group 9.

38 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Signed 

(Am I a Veteran or not?)

The fact that he 'served his country' is irrelevant in this case should be irrelevant in any case !!!

Where is the email chain discussing his acting contract, the work order, the contract or the agent through whom he was working, the proof of remuneration for the acting work or examples of other acting work proving this is his career, or at least his declaration to the government of the US or the nation in which he worked on this advertisement in his tax submission? There are so many ways to prove that he was not a part of this con. Lack of evidence of receipt of funds in a part of the world where setting up false bank accounts is so simple is no proof at all. The headline stated he & his wife had proof of innocence. I saw nothing. At best justice is about to be done. At worst this fool has had his freedom instead of his money conned out of him! 

Archived