BANGKOK
rooster59

Farmers are reluctant to stop using toxic weed killers

Sorry if this has already been asked but how long have Thai farmers been using these toxic weed killers ?

Just now, Denim said:

Sorry if this has already been asked but how long have Thai farmers been using these toxic weed killers ?

Good question. I have been here 20 years and round-up was here when I came. Does anyone know how long before that? From memory about 15 to 20 years before that in Australia, same here?

I'd say nearly as long as western countries.

Still it's solutions the sector is after.

Maybe the toxic believers have the answer the ag department doesn't know about?

• Like 1

Lets debunk the toxic issue, it is an overused word. Herbicides are designed so that weeds do not thrive. Is that better?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

Lets debunk the toxic issue, it is an overused word. Herbicides are designed so that weeds do not thrive. Is that better?

It does make you wonder. If they were highly toxic people would have been dying or getting seriously ill for a long time by now .

30 minutes ago, ireckonso said:

Mi wife has been a nurse at a gov hospital for 30 years, if you want to see the toxic effects of the indiscriminate and overuse of these products I suggest you go talk to some doctors at your local hospital. But hey the so called falang farmers on TV know it all, they are not toxic chemicals.

And yet in the last proper hearing,75% of farmers which use the chemicals here in Thailand voted to continue their use.

Two will be gone in six months and restricted use on the other should see hospital cases drop dramatically.

9 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

And yet in the last proper hearing,75% of farmers which use the chemicals here in Thailand voted to continue their use.

Two will be gone in six months and restricted use on the other should see hospital cases drop dramatically.

My guess is close to 100% would not care getting sick later if it means putting food on the table today. In reality they don't even understand how it can make them sick or they would use protective gear. 

14 minutes ago, ireckonso said:

But hey the so called falang farmers on TV know it all, they are not toxic chemicals.

I would ask you to re-read the comments of others. I doubt you will find anyone stated that these chemicals are harmless or without risk. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

I would ask you to re-read the comments of others. I doubt you will find anyone stated that these chemicals are harmless or without risk. 

It's not the 1st time you see a newbie come on,move to an area where farmers farm and complain about their environment,too much chemical,too much smoke in the air,then come up with methods that don't pertain to the climate,soil types,etc and think everyone is doing wrong although they may have invested heavily getting the feel what works right for them over many years of real accounts. 

• Like 2

Well FJ, I think most of us on this forum that have been involved in farming here have learnt that there are no easy answers. Most including me, have learnt that the conventional or organic practices of the west do not translate here in the realities of small holding, subsistance farming communities. Farm gate prices will quickly make most people realise that listening is the first step. Those who do not will soon understand what a loss is.

This issue of herbicides is really no different to so many other things in our daily lives. Antibiotics were seen as the answer only a few years ago, but the resistant bugs have taught us otherwise.

Bottom line, things need to change, but slowly slowly wooden horse!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

It's not the 1st time you see a newbie come on,move to an area where farmers farm and complain about their environment,too much chemical,too much smoke in the air,then come up with methods that don't pertain to the climate,soil types,etc and think everyone is doing wrong although they may have invested heavily getting the feel what works right for them over many years of real accounts. 

Good points ,like pushing s@#t up hill ,no matter what you sayin the pro lobie ,some one will criticize you .

But this world is not sustainable ,just to many people on it ,the tree huggers will be the first to complain when food prices double ,because they have had they way ,no chemicals ,no GM ,to produce our food .

Say what you like the populus want cheap food and chemicals etc will be the only way ,unless some one can think of a way to cut the world population in half .

• Like 1

Oh yes the old "newbie red herring" even though you know nothing about me or how long I have resided in thailand. Try a little harder next time "know it all old timer"

• Sad 1

This forum has a reputation for being an honest and friendly one. We were all newbies here once. I know I had what I thought was a plan to improve farming practices here at the start as did others who had many more years of farming experience behind them than me. We all learn over time. 

On 12/5/2019 at 10:47 PM, IsaanAussie said:

Glyphosate is a herbicide (and registered as a pesticide I believe) and has been put on the banned products list and I agree with poster @ireckonso about overuse of such products.

Interesting reading if you want to look into the archives on the net, are the cancers, birth deformities etc in villages in South America in which glyphosate was randomly sprayed on crops, with little or no care as to spray drift.

• Like 1