BANGKOK
rooster59

Farmers are reluctant to stop using toxic weed killers

Forget about chemicals, fire, chainsaws and hoes. 

Just use a Bron Mulcher...  

It would probably also work well in Bangkok traffic jams [emoji1787]

That little monster is just one step below a napalm strike [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Reminds me that this is actually a technique used to remove weed without chemicals. 

European and Swiss universities also researching UV light and electricity to kill weeds

SRI system is well tested and documented. A friend of mine, former member here, now in Cambodia, had an organic research and teaching farm in Chiang Mai. He had side by side comparisons and I think he posted here about it. PM me if you want to pursue a contact. 
Tried to talk that SRI system into one of my professors at Agronomy rice research department. Useless, his answer was "doesn't work for Thailand" Don't bother me anymore with your ideas...

Key statement.  There are alternatives, just maybe not in Thailand yet.  I'm in the US right now and using herbicidal soaps, biodegradable, organic program compatible.  I have yet to try D-limonene herbicide products, but they are popular here. There is a tremendous amount of R & D going on in biopesticides, and new less toxic products coming out all the time. 
Pelargonic acid actually widely proven to work and available in EU and I guess also other countries.
The raw material easily available just wondering why it is not available as herbicide in Thailand yet?

I thought i would revert back to this thread rather than have a slinging match in the news forum.

Well it looks like it's happened with the banning of the 3 chemicals.

The anger i feel now is high having invested a lot of baht into spraying equipment.

Ok vented.

What are the alternatives,attrazine is still widely availiable as a pre and post emergent herbicide but only kills broad leaf weeds.Cypermethryn can take care of most unwanted bugs if required.

2-4D will take care of the vines.

But what about grasses?

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a product name here with no residue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been trying to find actual facts about this immediate ban.

The closest i can find is a news report one day after the report on here.

It stated the minister was ready to ban after 60 days provided the alternative products are just as effective and costs a not more.

An earlier report suggested that the ban will be only on herbs and vegies.

So no need to rush out and stock up just yet.

There was an announcement that the Education Ministry has banned all three chemicals effective immediately. I haven't heard of any results coming from the Ag Dept yet. 

• Thanks 1

I did my best to wean us off of glyphosate this year. It went really well until August and we had an explosion of some aggressive very tall (2m+) grass. We know this grass and there really is only one answer for it, to spray it. What will we do next year. I would like to store away some glyphosate, but I also heard rumors that they will be fining people who are caught with it.

It would be nice to know, what's coming down. We are super responsible with the spraying, even using very small sprayers and spot spraying only the grass and leaving some other weeds. We actually only try to remove about 4 main nuisance weeds, and we allow all of the others alone. Of course it depends what you grow, other people couldn't do this.

• Like 2

As long as corruption exist and brown envelopes are about these chemicals will be with us. All we are hearing is fell good BS.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1126655-civic-groups-doubt-democrat-party’s-stance-on-three-controversial-herbicides/

So my interpretation would be that there going with the no use on vegies and herbs stance.

Which is fine by me,as they can be grown in smaller areas with more labour intensity as the produce is worth more compared to other agricultural crops.

• Like 2

Front page Bangkok Post very big article of infightings. Todays edition.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, drtreelove said:

I don't advocate the use of glyphosate products, but within an intelligent IVM program (Integrated Vegetation Management) it has been an important tool.  There is nothing like it for economical weed control when other methods and materials have been considered. There are of course downside effects, but much of that comes from uninformed and inappropriate use.  Here are some of my observations:

Regarding your 2m+ grass, it didn't just appear at 2m height.  There was an immature stage that for some reason you missed, and that would have been the time to control it, during the early growth stage. During emergence and early vegetative growth, grasses are easiest to kill and require much, much less herbicide volume to do it.  A fine spray that covers the foliage and doesn't drench the soil will affect the grass and not cause excessive environmental exposure and soil chemistry effects. 

Glyphosate is a post-emergent contact and systemic herbicide. It is sprayed on the green foliage and is taken in and translocated into the root system. It is not a pre-emergent and does nothing to prevent seeds from sprouting, so spraying it on bare soil is a waste. You cannot kill the roots of weeds by spraying it on the soil. Soil drenching is useless and creates excessive environmental contamination. If you recognize this fact then the amount of herbicide that you need to use will be reduced considerably. 

Another important consideration is the mixing rate. To kill young grasses (and some broadleaf weeds) use the recommended label mixing rate, it works. A 2% solution is all you need for most grass applications. If you are starting with a concentrate that is 48% active ingredient of glyphosate, that's 2.5 oz of the concentrate per gallon of water (12.5 oz per 5 gallons, =  370 ml per 20 liters of water). check my math.  More is not better. 

Improve effectiveness by adding ammonium sulfate 21-0-0 to the water and agitate before adding the glyphosate concentrate. 

"6 pounds per 100 gallons of spray mixture (lbs/100 gal)  If water hardness is greater than 1600 ppm apply minimum of 8.5 to 17 lbs/100 gal."

Cover up, to avoid personal exposure. Standard pesticide applicator PPEs (personal protective equipment) is rubber boots and socks, long pants, long sleeve shirt, chemical resistant gloves, eye protection.  A full face shield is optional. If the applicator is out there spraying with shorts, tank top and flip flops, then he/she is asking for unnecessary exposure. If the wife and kids are tagging along behind then he is totally irresponsible.  Yeah its hot, but the choice of protection or exposure is yours. 

Don't be a sucker for the unreasonable hype created by the class action personal injury attorneys who are after the big bucks that come from the bandwagon protest mentality. Know what you are working with and follow sensible, safe and effective use of pesticides. It is possible to reduce or eliminate personal and environmental exposure.  Do your homework and be responsible.  Don't drink or get high or angry or otherwise compromise your judgement and accuracy while mixing and applying pesticides. If you are not comfortable with it, don't use it. 

IVM has options for weed control, consider mechanical control, planting of competing cover crops, etc. Don't always reach for the herbicides before considering other options. Don

I said it strangely. The grass was noticed at a much smaller stage. I described it as 2 meter grass because that's what it turns into, and what we are trying to avoid. Most of it was killed at around 50 cm or smaller.