BANGKOK
rooster59

Farmers are reluctant to stop using toxic weed killers

5 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

I have a close by friend that has a number of them and uses them regularly. (Sharpens/hones more regularly probably). Wins the race against a 4 stroke brush cutter. 

Can you hook a guy up with a supplier and a price? or just the guys phone number?

I'll ask and get back to you. I just edited my last post ..... From India, my mate thinking of importing.

• Like 1

As for a scythe have a word with TV's cooked ,he uses a scythe regularly  ,I think  it was imported from Europe .

As IA said they need sharpening regular and good sharpening stones are not available in Thailand ,one would have to be imported .

As for race scythe/grass strimmer  ,my 2-stroke strimmer  ,with a cord on ,not a blade ,can soon knock down a large area of grass .

• Like 1

The deal is done. All three chemicals banned effective 1st December. We all need to buy a scythe or two.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

The deal is done. All three chemicals banned effective 1st December. We all need to buy a scythe or two.

Just add them to the bill.

At the same time, the farming sector must use non-chemical substitutes [to kill weeds] for the sake of health and the environment. We therefore ask the government to compensate us for the extra labour costs of 1.2 trillion baht a year and to help us find workers to manually root out weed.

"If the authorities can’t do so, we’d like to see Agriculture Minister Chalermchai Sri-on and his deputy, Mananya Thaiset, pull out the weed themselves in 60 million rai in 30 days."

Old Chalermchai and Mananya are going to be busy with those scythes.😀

Edited by farmerjo

Well no surprise a farmers lobby has taken the decision to ban the 3 chemicals to the court.

• Like 1

Black market price is 500 baht/litre.  That's 2500 for 5L....bit of a jump from 450 baht for 5L!

9 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

Black market price is 500 baht/litre.  That's 2500 for 5L....bit of a jump from 450 baht for 5L!

I stocked up for the next 4 years already,they might have an alternative by then if there lucky.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

I stocked up for the next 4 years already,they might have an alternative by then if there lucky.

I asked a local who does the spraying for us what he was going to do. He said he has a stockpile. Asked him if he was afraid of being caught. No he said, adding they never find.

I already have accreditation for using agriculture chemicals but hope the Thai's will do as well.

As it is there chance to prove themselves.

Would like to see some sort of scheme where while it's being disputed that throw away coveralls are provided with any purchase for the user. 

Edited by farmerjo

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

^ Hope they are not plastic coveralls. 🧐

You know the type,sweat your box off but they are standard in most industries.image.jpeg.62f2d66307b6295f2606d96c9f4c002a.jpeg

Edited by farmerjo

21 hours ago, farmerjo said:

I already have accreditation for using agriculture chemicals but hope the Thai's will do as well.

As it is there chance to prove themselves.

Would like to see some sort of scheme where while it's being disputed that throw away coveralls are provided with any purchase for the user. 

It would be the same in most western country's ,you need a ticket/accreditation ,to use a sprayer and handle chemicals ,I think it is a 3-4  day coarse ?in the UK before you get your ticket .

I would like to see the same over here ,farmers /contractors going on a coarse before using a sprayer ,but as we know more chances of wining the Thai lottery before that happens.

It is not only chemicals ,any one can go in to a shop and buy antibiotics ,hormones ,for injecting livestock ,in our country it is only vets that can legally buy drugs , all drugs say POM on the bottles  one drug Imazol used for tick fever ,in the UK they is a lot of red tape in the selling and injecting ,over here  any one can just go and buy it.  

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 2:46 PM, farmerjo said:

You know the type,sweat your box off but they are standard in most industries.image.jpeg.62f2d66307b6295f2606d96c9f4c002a.jpeg

How did we get on to beekeepers suits? LOL

• Confused 1