Farmers are reluctant to stop using toxic weed killers

rooster59

One feels both humble and, yes proud, of all the TV members who care so much for the environment.  What a great group we are. I'm feeling rather chuffed today too.  :thumbsup:

However farmers are going to get less yield for their cost/work . Which translates directly to less money. And as farmers are the poorest of the poor, here in Thailand it is understandable why they do not want to give up chemical weed killers. I Am thinking, as we care so much about the environment,  THAIVISA should start a charity to help farmers who will not earn as much money as before. Lets dig deep and give to the working poor. **Unfortunately due to previous commitments I will be out of the country a lot in 2020, so counting on TV community leaders to get this organized and off the ground.

Make us Proud!

Edited by LomSak27

8 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

However farmers are going to get less yield for their cost/work

Okay Im not too familiar with farming in vietnam but they have twice the yield per rai/hectare and their production costs are half of thailands. So explain that one to me, but I already know the answer. Oh and by the way sarcasm of such a serious problem for those both for and against the current chemical issues is actually showing your ignorance.

Edited by ireckonso
addition

Happy to compare notes. The local press reported this week the fact that Vietnam and Cambodia both had improved their fragant rice crop yields recently with averages of 700 Kg/rai whereas Thai Hom Mali 105 had not been improved from the average of 400 kg per rai for many years. Thailand's long prized lead in softness and flavour internationally has been lost with Cambodia taking the prize in 2017 and Vietnam in 2018. 

With almost twice the yield they will have almost half the cost of production with all else being equal.

As a matter of interest, China has outshone everyone with their rice breeding program lifting yields from 200 to over 1,000 kg/rai. 

9 hours ago, ireckonso said:

Okay Im not too familiar with farming in vietnam but they have twice the yield per rai/hectare and their production costs are half of thailands.

Does that have anything to do with use of, or non use of, chemicals, pesticides or weed killers in Thailand ?? Because if it does not, you really need to get with the plot.

Edited by LomSak27

53 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Does that have anything to do with use of, or non use of, chemicals, pesticides or weed killers ?? 

Yes it does, apparently you have never seen the degradation of soil in thailand through outdated and destructive farming practices used forever. Not only is the soil here completely dead it is also massively contaminated. It will take many years for any real remediation of farmland here to improve yields and quality of crops even with the ban or restricted use of chemicals. I am not against the use of modern farming technology and this includes pesticides and herbicides as we have changed the environment so much they are necessary evils to produce enough food to feed the world. But thailand is a nation of many (not all) illiterate, arrogant, children who without hitting them over the head with a complete ban on chemicals they just WONT stop overusing them! So called training and educating them on usage will just be ignored.(Call me a thai basher now) There are many newer less toxic products such as biologics, less toxic chemicals etc. that could be made available here (and its not monsanto keeping them out). Another factor is the thai ag farm industry protecting their companies with ridiculous import duties on modern farming equipment that would help tremendously in reducing the usage of chemicals and improving yields. Like everything else produced here they want to copy and make equipment that isnt worth the steel its made out of and is utterly useless. I really dont see much change or hope for the future of farming in thailand.

Sorry Monsanto is now Bayer.

Edited by ireckonso
addition

9 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

As a matter of interest, China has outshone everyone with their rice breeding program lifting yields from 200 to over 1,000 kg/rai. 

Yes impressive yields but what is the quality of this rice compared to hom mali or vietnams strains is the question. The chinese are tops in massive production of everything but quality and marketability (ROI) is what makes a good product. Vietnam won the award because people want to buy their rice and will pay good money for it thus improving the farmers income.

12 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

I think you are stretching things a bit.

Explain what I am stretching ??? I dont get what you are saying ??? I asked about the quality of chinese rice, I didnt say it was bad. And now tell me about your studies you have seen what is the quality, strains produced etc. 

My interest is in our rice crop here in Isaan. The Thai press report I referred to made the point that recently Thailand has not invested in research to the extent that it's neighbours have. As a result they have fallen behind. A strong baht and poor yields make it increasingly difficult for Thailand to compete in the international market.

Lets get this back on topic. 

• 1 month later...