American man, Thai woman injured after gas explosion in Bangkok condo

rooster59

American man, Thai woman injured after gas explosion in Bangkok condo

gas.JPG

Image: Thai Rath

An American man and a Thai woman were injured following a gas explosion at a condominium in the Makkasan area of Bangkok on Friday.

Thairath alleged the 59 year old American man had not closed the valve on the gas canister after using it on Friday morning.

The man later left the condo and returned in the afternoon. When he went to use his stove there was an explosion, police said.

The man was injured and began feeling pains in his chest. He was rushed to hospital.

A woman who lives opposite the 6 storey condominium told Thairath that she was sweeping the road outside her house when she heard a loud bang. 

Broken glass then came falling from the condominium above, resulting in injuries to her back. She was taken to hospital and required 11 stitches.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-17

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

had not closed the valve on the gas canister

How many people here who have gas canisters connected to a hob close the valve on the canister after using? I never have done in the last 5 years........

14 minutes ago, topt said:

How many people here who have gas canisters connected to a hob close the valve on the canister after using? I never have done in the last 5 years........

Ditto, even when we had a condo (bottled gas allowed) we never turned off the bottle.

A dozen years down the line we've never had a leak (famous last words of course), our gas stoves all have flame-fail cut off.

That's why in Australia LPG or other gas canisters are installed outside homes and never allowed, under any circumstances to be kept in houses.

Not turning of the gas the the bottle and allowing the gas to burn out before turning of the stove cock is a recipe for a very violent explosion and possibly death.

6 hours ago, topt said:

Close every single time. 

6 hours ago, topt said:

I live in a house, even before I moved in I had the gas cylinder re plumbed to outside. Gas cylinders really worry me.

8 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Correct, including mine.

Hark back to the multi storey blocks of flats in the UK when natural gas became readily available.  Choice of suicide was gassing yourself in an oven.  Unfortunately a Big Bang follows blowing the sides out of buildings. 

another mystery solved.  why would putting a tank outside make any sense?  something I had heard a few years ago and it stuck as a mystery until now.  I guess.  you know, given that absolutely no one does that.  all the other "mysteries" from various farlang... fellow farlang... I have solved.  for this one, because they are scared of an explosion.  what that has to do with the tank.... I still don't know but don't need to now.

two other stand out favorites, I think are very funny, along this same line are "no one speaks Gahm Mueang" in "Chiangmai" (meaning the "weahaungh", not the province).  and "Thai don't really believe because they never go into the temple". 

as for the language thing, it was from someone who "fluently speaks Thai" but can't even hit any non-English 'dt' or 'p' and 'b' sounds or vowel lengths at all and...... refers to the "local people" as often times "switching", when they talk to each other, into a "hard version of Pasa Thai".  aha!  and very funny.  as for temples, this is a dude who rarely gets going before 6 AM and you can easily figure by then, unless you are a special guest you won't even find a spot to sit down after 6AM so yeah everyone else, especially folks arriving a lot later have to stay outside.  and going or not going into the temple doesn't have anything to do with it anyways. 

how do you keep a eye on the gas hose and connections if the tank is outside anyways?  and what good does it do if you leave the gas on anyways?  the tank is super safe.  and as for leaving the gas on my goodness.... that is something everyone checks more than once before leaving the kitchen even if no one used the stove at all.  one of those habits.  I've never seen anyone not do so, nor a tank kept outside. 

On 8/17/2019 at 10:58 AM, Thaiwrath said:

In most condo blocks, gas canisters are not allowed, in order to avoid..........................................gas explosions !

yeah then we setup campfires in the condo to cook?

and most probably this explosion is bc, either the guy installed the gas canister didn't do it right and didnt double check.

or they left the gas open accidentally.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:58 AM, Galactus said:

yeah then we setup campfires in the condo to cook?

and most probably this explosion is bc, either the guy installed the gas canister didn't do it right and didnt double check.

or they left the gas open accidentally.

Yes. There is always a regulator on the tank when it is connected to a hob with a safety valve. 

On 8/17/2019 at 1:52 PM, topt said:

Me. I would not be able to sleep properly at night. 

Archived