tenant rights

Regarding the act/amendment passed last May 2018

Can someone clarify it it applies to landords with 5 properties or more, or management that oversee 5 or more properties..see attachment...everyone seems to have a commercial axe to grind. cant seem to get to the truth

i would love to see the relevant section of the act

Screenshot_2019-08-17-05-19-50.png

I think it depends on with who you have the contract. If the person with who you have the contract is renting out 5 or more units in his name, then this law applies to him. He could just rent out 4 units in his name, another 4 in his wife's name, 4 in his mother's name, and so on... then the law would not apply.

This is a pdf in Thai of the relevant law from February last year: http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2561/E/035/12.PDF

The paragraph defining "ธุรกิจการให้เช่าอาคารเพื่ออยู่อาศัย", or loosely, "Business of Renting Buildings for Living" states that the "ผู้ประกอบธุรกิจ" or "Business Operator" is bound by the Act if operating five or more "หน่วย" or units; other operators with fewer are simply "encouraged" to follow the law (555).

As stated in post 3 above, and this being Thailand, in the case of family-owned, private businesses of this nature, I would take that to mean a little chicanery will easily circumvent the law. In the case of a commercially run condo or block of Thai-style flats, for example, I would say not so easily.

Thank you for all the valued input...so, the business operator is the one that may be liable..in the case of the condo block where i live is it the "business operator" in terms of onsite management or condo ownership.

i cant believe all apartment blocks and condo units would be exempt. So im guessing that unit ownership is pretty irrelavant. Also, condo blocks are all corporations with a managment committee. The "business operator" I feel.

If have just left the condo block as i was tired of challenging every bill coz my face didnt fit (my thai partner left). The condo block have three different elect rates depending on what they can get away with:

1 utility bill from PEA 3.9/unit

2 5/unit

3 7/unit

Is it worth complaining? Will anyone listen to a felang? they also rent condos out for less than a month..naughgy naughty!

It would seem that since the new law NOTHING has changed or the oil tanker slowly turning around?

i dont suppose for one minute that the condo owner knows what is going on.

Anyway, shall i complain or just move on? Trip advisor knows my views.

Review in detail

if your partner does nor speak Thai expect to be targetted at some point, either:

1 Your motorbike will dissappear (inside job)
2 Your electicity bill will be inflated (beware if you get ur bill first)
3 Money will disspaear from ur room (felang causing trouble)

Welcome to Thailand 

Archived