Please Look At My Water Filter.

NCC1701A

I have one of these Mazuma 5 stage water filters. Anyone else have something like this?

Take a look at the photo of the first stage filter.

This is what my filter looks like after about 60 days compared to a new filter.

The question is: Is your water as filthy as this?

Screenshot_2019-08-17 Mazuma เครื่องกรองน้ำ 5 ขั้นตอน รุ่น AQ-50UF Shopee Thailand.png

20190811_132818.jpg

Edited by NCC1701A

Same as when you take a filter cigarette and cover the exhaust from filter with a tissue and inhale …. you can see same brown color on that tissue who goes to your lungs even after filter ...

So far for " filters "

We are on Village water here 15km south  Prachuap we have to clean our filter weekly black not brown sediment.

We have complained  told main filter dont work no money to fix so basically put up or shut up

Looking at drilling own well...Cluck em!

• Like 1

That's a 10 micron sediment filter. It will go like that quite quickly. Just change it now and again. Any other impurities will not get through the RO membrane which discards about 7 parts to every 1 part that makes it to the attached reservoir.

• Like 2

When it gets to that colour, sadly the filter is already completely blocked and useless....the other filters are pulling out other impurities so  you now drinking water full of whatever thefirst filter has given up on...uurrgh

44 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

When it gets to that colour, sadly the filter is already completely blocked and useless....the other filters are pulling out other impurities so  you now drinking water full of whatever thefirst filter has given up on...uurrgh

No, if the filter is partially blocked the flow will reduce, if fully blocked where will be no flow - with partial flow the other filters will do their job, no flow - nothing for the other filters to do. 

I have a similar arrangement but with UV lamp, just changed the resin, carbon, and ceramic after 9 months operation, flow had reduced from as-new filters but still reasonable flow.

The UV lamp expired at 6+ years from installation. 

I filter 8 - 10 litres most days, the source is Phitsanulok city supply. 

You have a good case for a primary sand filter with correct sand installed, not washed river sand from the local sand and gravel merchant. 

• Like 1

No, if the filter is partially blocked the flow will reduce, if fully blocked where will be no flow - with partial flow the other filters will do their job, no flow - nothing for the other filters to do. 

I have a similar arrangement but with UV lamp, just changed the resin, carbon, and ceramic after 9 months operation, flow had reduced from as-new filters but still reasonable flow.
The UV lamp expired at 6+ years from installation. 
I filter 8 - 10 litres most days, the source is Phitsanulok city supply. 

You have a good case for a primary sand filter with correct sand installed, not washed river sand from the local sand and gravel merchant. 

The flow will not reduce, because the purified water comes from the reservoir and that flow will always be the same. The flow into the carbon and RO membrane may be less if the sediment filter is very blocked, but that's not what you drink. It comes from the reservoir which is part of the filter unit.

Not true. The contaminants won't be able to cross the RO membrane barrier.

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Just curious, what does it cost to change all those filters ?

about every 90 days it costs a total of 1308 baht for the first three stages.

540 baht once a year for the fourth stage and the UV bulb lasted 18 months and it cost 1300 baht. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

got a source for that?

Depends what you are testing exactly, drinking water tests on Lazada, many of them ranging from 300 - 3000 baht have a browse "drinking water testing kit"

• Thanks 1

Even when filtered, Thai tap water don't taste too good. I took one look at Klong Prapa (Bkk's main water supply) and said no thanks! We use it for washing up and taking a shower.

What you are spending on filters would buy the bottled spring water we use. Tesco brand in 6 liter bottles is cheapest and good as any.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, timendres said:

I had a similar filter in the US that looked like that after one week. It is doing it's job. But I was never sure how to decide the time to change it, since I couldn't really tell by just looking at it.

Ours is about the as photos from OP, we change the filter about every 6 months, if we don't it quickly clogs to the point of very slow water flow. 

Our filter is installed after the water comes out of the 2 joined tanks installed on our village plot.

My son is currently investigating a primary filter system to install before the village mains water flows into the 2 tanks we have on our plot. Appreciate any advice on this. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Ours is about the as photos from OP, we change the filter about every 6 months, if we don't it quickly clogs to the point of very slow water flow. 

Our filter is installed after the water comes out of the 2 joined tanks installed on our village plot.

My son is currently investigating a primary filter system to install before the village mains water flows into the 2 tanks we have on our plot. Appreciate any advice on this. 

When I inquired about this problem with our local guy back home, he stated that more filters is just the same as a larger primary filter. One way or another, you are simply removing the primary "grime", and whether it is with multiple filters, or just one large filter, it is the same result. His point was to consider the most important item - the cost of the filters. If multiple smaller filters were cheaper than a single larger filter, then that is the correct answer. I ended up with a larger primary, as the filter cost in the long run was 30% cheaper.

This is our main water filter, all our water goes through this on the way to our 2,500L tank.

20190818_064758.jpg

Inside is a simple poly filter that takes out the crunchy bits. Filter elements are about 300 Baht 

https://www.homepro.co.th/homePro/th/Plumbing-Equipment-Year-End-Sales-Water-Purifiers-Filter/PURE-PP-91010-FILTER/p/217598

I admit I only actually change the element when the flow becomes too low to re-fill the tank in a sensible time.

We use the water for everything except drinking and cooking.

We also have a Filtex RO unit for drinking water. 

• Thanks 2

Hi NCC,

We used to have problems with brown water and large deposits of sediment in the tanks until we changed to Pranburi water. It is clean, reliable ( for Thailand ! ), and most of all cheaper than H.H. water. I do not know however which supplier you are using. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2019 at 12:54 AM, Crossy said:

This is our main water filter, all our water goes through this on the way to our 2,500L tank.

20190818_064758.jpg

Inside is a simple poly filter that takes out the crunchy bits. Filter elements are about 300 Baht 

https://www.homepro.co.th/homePro/th/Plumbing-Equipment-Year-End-Sales-Water-Purifiers-Filter/PURE-PP-91010-FILTER/p/217598

I admit I only actually change the element when the flow becomes too low to re-fill the tank in a sensible time.

We use the water for everything except drinking and cooking.

We also have a Filtex RO unit for drinking water. 

We have a similar setup at the house I am renting, I took the filter out and found this, the landlord has since installed another filter that can be back flushed every couple of months with a saline solution and clean water.

filter1.jpg

filter2.jpg

filter3.jpg

• Sad 1

On 8/18/2019 at 8:36 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Hi NCC,

We used to have problems with brown water and large deposits of sediment in the tanks until we changed to Pranburi water. It is clean, reliable ( for Thailand ! ), and most of all cheaper than H.H. water. I do not know however which supplier you are using. 

thanks. HH for sure. my girlfriend from Pranburi was shocked at my filthy water and the horrible smell after rainfall.

• Like 1

'smell after rainfall'.

Interesting comment, my son changes the filters I guess about every 8 or 9 months (I'm not sure it's that good or not) but if the water smells after big rainfall he changes the filters immediately but that would often mean after just 3 or 4 months, but it does mean clean water quickly.

I just discovered the original development company (they are still building villages and pretty good quality, in CM) are going to install a much bigger filter system and storage in their future villages and they have told our committee that if it's successful they will install same in their previous villages at cost, if the village owners committee want it. No idea at this stage of cost. 

36 minutes ago, scorecard said:

'smell after rainfall'.

Interesting comment, my son changes the filters I guess about every 8 or 9 months (I'm not sure it's that good or not) but if the water smells after big rainfall he changes the filters immediately but that would often mean after just 3 or 4 months, but it does mean clean water quickly.

I just discovered the original development company (they are still building villages and pretty good quality, in CM) are going to install a much bigger filter system and storage in their future villages and they have told our committee that if it's successful they will install same in their previous villages at cost, if the village owners committee want it. No idea at this stage of cost. 

Further, my son just mentioned that the developed offered to install good quality filters either before the water goes into the house tank or in the kitchen before the sink and ame filter also has a smaller good quality pipe and small tap over the sink to fill water bottles for cooking water etc., all within the price of the house, son chose at the sink, but also added at his expense (installed by the developer) a filter just before it goes into the tank but he's now looking to replace this (very easy) with a bigger filter.

But many houses didn't want any filter because there would be later cost to change the filter, and now complaining about water quality. Son's view is that the developer is not responsible for the quality of water coming from the outside mains system, he tried to explain this at a village committee meeting but gave up because nobody wanted to hear the truth of the matter. 

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

thanks. HH for sure. my girlfriend from Pranburi was shocked at my filthy water and the horrible smell after rainfall.

Can I suggest then that you drink more fruit juice, and take more showers........:sorry::sorry::sorry:...........

I just could not resist the entendre.

On a serious note, we are at the top of 88 and Pranburi water ran pipes through our project. Cost a few thousand, but well worth it.

Maybe they have a pipeline near you that you can join onto?

On 8/17/2019 at 8:56 PM, CharlieH said:

Just curious, what does it cost to change all those filters ?

We had a water pressure problem and discovered this......in the main inlet pipe from the village supply. ????

choked inlet pipe.jpg

Man with that much deposits coming through the line, I would change the filter at least a month.