Where to eat - British pub restaurant

Briggsy

12 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Okay, we have 2. Just one more. 

All the Retox bars seve the same food and have the same setup. This includes the Robin Hood which was owned by Retox and I believe they still have an interest in it. For me the Robin Hood is the pick of the bunch, but if you don't like the food in one, you won't like the food in any of them.

For me Beefeater is the only restaurant serving quality food. Can sit outside or in. More expensive, but you get what you pay for.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised you haven’t had the Thai Fan Boys ranting about how good Thai Brown Gunj is and only 15 Bht.. .!.But then its Saturday n Teachers cant use Schools PCs.The Sportsman was my Fav but that was ages ago.[emoji481]????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

How about The Sportsman Soi 13, or Queen Vic, Soi 6.

I know others rcommend The Sportsman but I had one of the worst Sunday carverys ever in there. I've never returned.

Never eaten in the Queen Vic. Fine dining wouldn't be my main motivation for visiting Soi 6 ( unless you include a furry cup as fine dining).

6 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

For me Beefeater is the only restaurant serving quality food. Can sit outside or in. More expensive, but you get what you pay for.

If OP has company, yes, but not a place for a lone diner. 

Pig and Whistle in Jomtien is still going, just before the turn off towards the beach. I can reccommend their liver and onions and all day roast dinners.

Also try BJ Lodge on Soi 3 off Pattaya Beach Road. Good portions at reasonable price. NB: BJ stands for Barry Jones, the original owner. A bit of a hidden gem.

Sonjas on Beach Road Soi 4 has a good bar area and do food too, though not high quality. A few big Leos at 110 Baht a bottle should make you not care too much. 

31 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

As I keep saying, the best Brit Grub in Pattaya at the moment, is at Nickys on Soi Buakhao.

I have eaten there. You have sort of pushed me to be brutally honest. I thought it was excellent value for money in terms of a stomach filler. Huge portions at cheap prices. 

However, in order to achieve that, they had to use cheap ingredients to reach a minimum threshold. I am not criticising Nicky's. The owner does a great job at keeping her customers happy at a price they like.

On this occasion, for which I am asking for advice, I am looking to move up the price and quality chain. I am asking about restaurants which are not directly competing with Nicky's in the same way that Villa does not compete with Tesco Lotus.

Therefore, Nicky's may be the best at their price bracket but I feel there is better out there.

I hope this clarifies what I am looking for.

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

I have eaten there. You have sort of pushed me to be brutally honest. I thought it was excellent value for money in terms of a stomach filler. Huge portions at cheap prices. 

However, in order to achieve that, they had to use cheap ingredients to reach a minimum threshold. I am not criticising Nicky's. The owner does a great job at keeping her customers happy at a price they like.

On this occasion, for which I am asking for advice, I am looking to move up the price and quality chain. I am asking about restaurants which are not directly competing with Nicky's in the same way that Villa does not compete with Tesco Lotus.

Therefore, Nicky's may be the best at their price bracket but I feel there is better out there.

Okay.

(and I know it looks like I am pushing this restaurant at the moment, which I have no affiliation to)

But, I disagree that they use cheap ingredients.

I think the Haddock and Chips on a Friday is not beat for quality anywhere else, even though it is only 225 baht.

Also, I would take their Pork Chop dinner over a lot of the more expensive ones in town, any day.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Well Briggsy maybe someone else needs to be brutally honest. There are 3 pages of suggestions on this 3 page thread, and you have basically poopooed them all for various reasons, so myself and probably other posters think it would be a good idea to look around yourself, and hopefully you'll find what you are looking for.

Also---what is 'googen'--an offshoot of google possibly?

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Yuk. Try O'Garas in Tara Court, definitely the best breakfast so I guess the other food will be good.

I am sorry wgd, I got my Irish pubs mixed up - I meant O’Gara’s, part of Tara Court.

To be fair, the breakfast at 5be Irish Wolfhound is OK.

3 minutes ago, thainet said:

Well Briggsy maybe someone else needs to be brutally honest. There are 3 pages of suggestions on this 3 page thread, and you have basically poopooed them all for various reasons, so myself and probably other posters think it would be a good idea to look around yourself, and hopefully you'll find what you are looking for.

He is speaking Thainglish....Thais can’t pronounce ‘L’s’ and ‘R’s” so Google becomes Goog’n and you have Lobin Hood.

2 hours ago, thainet said:

OP could always wade through 1200+ pages of Jingthing's Hit and Run thread.

6 hours ago, thainet said:

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

He is speaking Thainglish....Thais can’t pronounce ‘L’s’ and ‘R’s” so Google becomes Goog’n and you have Lobin Hood.

Just to add to Jips post

There's no final L sound in Thai, a final L consonant is pronounced as N, you just notice it when they are speaking English loan words like in Check the Bill = Check Bin etc. 

and instead of rrrrrolling their Rs, they lazily pronounce them as an L or not at all 

(i know im stating the obvious for most)

16 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Try The Haven, two doors down from Retox on Soi Lengke. Quiet except when the golfers are in and always excellent food. For mahoosive portions of good Brit food try Nicky's on Soi Buakhao same side as the hospital about another 200m south.

"Good Brit food" sounds like an oxymoron. If you want to expand your horizons to American or Australian pub grub try Fraser's on the way to Jomtien or Tigglebitties on 3rd Rd, Soi 17. The Sunday barbeque at Frasers is the best I've found in town. Tigglebitties Monday  chicken and ribs special with sides is terrific also. 

14 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

(and I know it looks like I am pushing this restaurant at the moment, which I have no affiliation to)

It certainly does, shilling may be more apt. You have put the name out there, the OP has said no, and yet you press on. 

OP Why not consider Beefeater or Steak and Co? 

3 hours ago, pegman said:

"Good Brit food" sounds like an oxymoron. If you want to expand your horizons to American or Australian pub grub try Fraser's on the way to Jomtien or Tigglebitties on 3rd Rd, Soi 17. The Sunday barbeque at Frasers is the best I've found in town. Tigglebitties Monday  chicken and ribs special with sides is terrific also. 

I am sure if the OP had wanted such advice he would have asked for it.

American pub grub !!  ????

17 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I am sure if the OP had wanted such advice he would have asked for it.

American pub grub !!  ????

Head over to Tigglebitties some Monday and have the BBQ ribs and chicken then tell me I'm wrong. I'm no fan of American anything but Yank Tex-Mex ground beef tacos are great.

Archived