Searching for quality in Thailand

RLAretired

1 minute ago, RLAretired said:

Clearly, @LivinLOS, you don't fly first class or eat at 5-star restaurants.  Its easy to complain about why aren't things cheaper.  This thread is NOT about cheaper, it is about better quality.

Price for performance (quality) is always the balance. 

Thailand has low quality in abundance, often cheaply.. High quality items, for no logical reason at all, become many multiples of a non Thai price. 

Everything from bed linens, toiletries and shave goods, etc etc to the bigger ticket things like cars and high end electronics. 

Its not just cheap or expensive, its where it fits within the cost benefit reward system. 

I just import lots, and hand carry many items as I am back and forth a few times each year. 

3 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Many thanks, @Tayaout -- valuable list of quality food suppliers.

And, for my fellow expats up-country many of those above will deliver by Post Express in a styrofoam box filled with dry ice.

And for the benefit of my fellow expats up-country, many of those suppliers on @Tayaout's list above offer delivery service anywhere in Thailand by Post express.

Edited by RLAretired

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

This is one of the things that gradually has worn on me over the years, to the point where I really debate the overall quality of life aspects.

Interesting that ones quality of life would be driven by the things they can buy. Not a bad thing, just funny to read. But I get it ????

But to the OPs point, It can be a challenge to find items we want to the level of quality we expect that we grew accustomed to from where ever lived previously. I have on numerous occasions had to buy a few things and just laughed how poor the quality was or is. I have never purchased clothing in Thailand as I learned a long time back, it is poor cotton quality, cut wrong. Same with bedding and bathing towels. I typically made trips to the US for business and always brought back suitcases with items. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RLAretired said:

Maybe so.  How do you determine the quality ???

Due diligence before purchase of a specific item.  My thinking (and brief segway) was related to brand name recognition, and that these days, that might not be something to rely on. 

I consider Toyota a quality brand.  However, the brand new Toyota SUV we bought here, assembled in Rayong, Thailand, doesn't feel the same build and assembly quality as the ones we drive in the US, or even ones I've owned in the Middle East.  So, it's a Toyota, but it's not quite up to snuff, IMO.

With that, I'm out.  Good luck on your quality thread. ///

• Like 2

I will bring up the topic of meal delivery, because that service is quickly expanding to  larger cities in Thailand.

10-15 years ago we had "Food by Phone" in Bangkok.  Many fine quality restaurants and fairly quick delivery.  But about 4-5 years ago "Food Panda" came in and bought out "Food by Phone".  Quality dropped quickly -- by that I mean the quality level of the restaurants available.  The good restaurants quit Food Panda service. Now we also have Grab food, GET food, and a few others.  But the majority of those restaurants are street food quality or just a notch above.

For better quality meal delivery service in Bangkok I use ChefsXP.  Some very good restaurants, plus superb customer service.   Restaurants include: Roadhouse BBQ, Coffee Beans by Dao (a full service restaurant), Tony Roma's, and The Royal Oak.  Only a few restaurants on their list, but good ones.  And for a modest extra charge, they will deliver to the far suburbs of Bangkok.

How about other quality meal delivery service -- either in Bangkok or up country??

im content with the indian tailor for clothes,

he makes it just the way i want it.

for electric, give up or move to europe,

the contacts here are flat, and theres nothing you can do about it, nothing will ever be compatible or possible to plug in if you want spring loaded round pegs

4 minutes ago, RLAretired said:

I will bring up the topic of meal delivery, because that service is quickly expanding to  larger cities in Thailand.

10-15 years ago we had "Food by Phone" in Bangkok.  Many fine quality restaurants and fairly quick delivery.  But about 4-5 years ago "Food Panda" came in and bought out "Food by Phone".  Quality dropped quickly -- by that I mean the quality level of the restaurants available.  The good restaurants quit Food Panda service. Now we also have Grab food, GET food, and a few others.  But the majority of those restaurants are street food quality or just a notch above.

For better quality meal delivery service in Bangkok I use ChefsXP.  Some very good restaurants, plus superb customer service.   Restaurants include: Roadhouse BBQ, Coffee Beans by Dao (a full service restaurant), Tony Roma's, and The Royal Oak.  Only a few restaurants on their list, but good ones.  And for a modest extra charge, they will deliver to the far suburbs of Bangkok.

How about other quality meal delivery service -- either in Bangkok or up country??

Do you really expect good quality from food which is maybe for 20 minutes in a box and delivered to you?

Maybe that works with ice-cream but i.e. pizza is not getting any better in those boxes. 

And would you accept in a restaurant food which was prepared 30 minutes ago?

From time to time I also oder food when I am too lazy to go out. But I know it can't be as good as in a restaurant where they prepare it and serve it when it's ready.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I consider Toyota a quality brand.  However, the brand new Toyota SUV we bought here, assembled in Rayong, Thailand, doesn't feel the same build and assembly quality as the ones we drive in the US, or even ones I've owned in the Middle East.  So, it's a Toyota, but it's not quite up to snuff, IMO

I absolutely concur 55jay but I do not think its from a lack of product quality. Its based on numerous additional safety compliance mandates from the US DOT and different consumer requirements.  I had a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 in the US before I moved here. I bought a new Toyota Revo as soon as I arrived. I did some research and found that the Tacoma weighed 500 +lbs more. So I asked a friend to look at things. What I found was that the US consumer demands a car be very quiet in the cab. Thus they add lots of sound deadening under the hood, headliner, along the firewall, under the carpet and in the doors. It was a fun webcam call with my friend as we compared real time. The point is that all the sound deadening material gives a much more "sound" feel when driving because it so much more quiet. I know in my Hilux Revo I hear a lot more road noise making it feel like it is cheaper. 

11 minutes ago, RLAretired said:

Royal Oak is good food??? I am all for getting drunk there but...

On Foodpanda you have everything from La Dotta, Smoking Pug, El Gaucho Steakhouse, Cocotte, Masala Art, Tony Romas, Coffee beans by dao, Royal Oak.. Maybe you didn't try it for a while but Foodpanda has massively expanded the restaurants it supports since Grab/Uber food came to market

30 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Just looked, Bht 250 for 500 gms of bread mix. Bo....x.

That post from @wgdanson reminded me to check the kitchen cupboard -- almost out of bread mix!!

Thankfully, the area of Bangkok where I live has two Verasu shops, so  will be convenient to buy there.  Always dependable quality at Verasu and convenience is a quality factor.

@wgdanson I'm starting to wonder about the quality of your eye glasses.  You seem to have missed seeing the word "quality" in the title of this thread, because all you write about here is price.  If I'm wrong about that, and you have any thoughts about finding quality products and services, I hope you will post about that.

Edited by RLAretired

That post from @wgdanson reminded me to check the kitchen cupboard -- almost out of bread mix!!

Thankfully, the area of Bangkok where I live has two Verasu shops, so  will be convenient to buy there.  Always dependable quality at Verasu and convenience is a quality factor.

@wgdanson I'm starting to wonder about the quality of your eye glasses.  You seem to have missed seeing the word "quality" in the title of this thread, because all you write about here is price.  If I'm wrong about that, and you have any thoughts about finding quality products and services, I hope you will post about that.

I can tell you that my glasses were purchased at KT Optic in Phitsanulok, using Essilor lenses, and cost Bht 26,000. Perfect vision.

I went to Zenni online, a US company but specs made in China/Hong Kong, sent them the same prescription and got BETTER vision for Bht 1,800...yes Bht 1,800.

I totally agree with you on the lack of quality here, but you have to weigh up whether the extra you pay for something is really worth it, especially when, like myself, I live on my UK State and a private Pension. I have to look after the pennies (satang).

I have always had the philosophy that you get what you pay for, or don't pay for. I am using electronic music gear I bought 20 years ago, when it was made in USA, and still going strong. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Royal Oak is good food???

Thanks for that @ThomasThBKK.  I've never eaten Royal Oak's food.  Just saw it on the list at ChefsXP and "assumed" it was of similar quality as some of the others on the list, which I have eaten.  (For example, last night dinner from "Olive" -- meze platter.  Everything delicious except the local beef, which was too tough to eat.)  (Hey, @wgdanson you can look up the price of that "meat platter" and then post another rant.)

Foodpanda has massively expanded the restaurants it supports since Grab/Uber food came to market

Another thank you, because I didn't consider that aspect of Food Panda.  I live out in the suburbs, and Food Panda only delivers within a small radius -- out here that means mostly cheap street food.  So all I see on the Food Panda selection is local restaurants.  Someone in, say, lower Sukhumvit, would see many more, and better quality, too.

Grab and GET deliver from a much wider radius than Food Panda, and that's a service quality factor.

Also on the quality side, ChefsXP, mentioned above, has a very small list of good restaurants, and they are willing to deliver far out of central Bangkok. 

Edited by RLAretired

1 hour ago, RLAretired said:

Sorry, @LivinLOS, but the topic here is not your personal angst.   This topic is looking for positive and productive ways to find quality in Thailand.  If you have any thoughts ON THAT TOPIC, please post again.

Steek to dee topic !  

verstehen  ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

(Hey, @wgdanson you can look up the price of that "meat platter" and then post another rant.)

Who's 'ranting'. Did I mention anything about food, I though this was all about USB hubs and cables.

I do realise that this forum is a bit like You Tube where you go on, watch something which leads you to something else, which leads you to...... so that's how we got from USB to UCP! LOL

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RLAretired said:

Thanks for that @ThomasThBKK.  I've never eaten Royal Oak's food.  Just saw it on the list at ChefsXP and "assumed" it was of similar quality as some of the others on the list, which I have eaten.  (For example, last night dinner from "Olive" -- meze platter.  Everything delicious except the local beef, which was too tough to eat.)  (Hey, @wgdanson you can look up the price of that "meat platter" and then post another rant.)

Another thank you, because I didn't consider that aspect of Food Panda.

I live out in the suburbs, and Food Panda only delivers within a small radius -- out here that means mostly cheap street food.  So all I see on the Food Panda selection is local restaurants.  Someone in, say, lower Sukhumvit, would see many more, and better quality, too.

Grab and GET deliver from a much wider radius than Food Panda, and that's a service quality factor.

Also on the quality side, ChefsXP, mentioned above, has a very small list of good restaurants, and they are willing to deliver far out of central Bangkok. 

Oh yeah i live in Phrom Phong so between Asoke and Thong Lor - might explain that my selection is way bigger.

What you can also do is, you can use the Line Messenger service to pick up food at whatever restaurant you want to eat from, they are very flexible and just drive to restaurants that normally do not operate on foodpanda and co - however you will have a hard time talking to them without a bit of thai or a thai speaker nearby.

I am not sure if you know Happy Fresh - but it's basically Foodpanda for Supermarkets, also an App, it supports many good Butchers and good Supermarkets like Gourmet Market in emquartier: https://www.happyfresh.co.th/

30 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Zenni online

And you've found the quality is good.  So Zenni for eyeglasses is very useful here in Thailand where the optical shops vary a lot in quality.

What other web sites have you used that deliver quality products to Thailand?

What other online services have you used that offer particularly good QUALITY products for delivery here in Thailand?

Edited by RLAretired

I tried to purchase some Quality Food Supplements (none cannabis products) from Amazon but all seller do not deliver to Thailand. A trial order with iHerb did not arrive either. So, in case your have made similar experiences this would defintively be a minus point for those living in Thailand and expecting to buy the most advanced medicine in the international market.  

19 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Happy Fresh - but it's basically Foodpanda for Supermarkets, also an App, it supports many good Butchers and good Supermarkets like Gourmet Market in emquartier: https://www.happyfresh.co.th/

Good one:  Happy Fresh.  Yes, I've used and can recommend, also.  Emphasis on stores offering quality foods.

Thank you @ThomasThBKK.

Edited by RLAretired

2 minutes ago, GeKoSc said:

I tried to purchase some Quality Food Supplements (none cannabis products) from Amazon but all seller do not deliver to Thailand.

Yes, yes, we all know that -- all seller do not deliver to Thailand.

2 minutes ago, GeKoSc said:

A trial order with iHerb did not arrive either.

I'm willing to believe you, but it is difficult.  I've been ordering from iHerb for about 6 years.  I order 2-3-4 times a month.  Every single package in all that time has been delivered to me.

So, besides complaining, if you have any useful ideas for getting good quality products delivered in Thailand, I hope you will post about that.

Another one for very good glasses is Niche Nation: http://www.nichenation.com/

Mostly european high end brands, they are the only Zeiss exclusive partner in Thailand for Optometrists: http://www.nichenation.com/eyecare/

There sight tests are top notch quality so are their glasses, i use the Mykita Sunglasses personally, handmade in Berlin and super liteweight.

• Like 1