Searching for quality in Thailand

RLAretired

I’ll never forget my first long stay in a new Thai house/bungalow on Phuket. (1984) It was your typical Thai, painted white and clean, no kitchen as such. Looked ok !! But !!! THe day I moved in, arrives the “ electrician” and proceeded to add on the electric lights in every room, spoiling completely the new plaster work ! I’d only visited a few days before in the daytime and hadn’t noticed there was no lights, I’d been so happy to find a new clean place . Happy days tho. 

8 minutes ago, RLAretired said:

And you've found the quality is good.  So Zenni for eyeglasses is very useful here in Thailand where the optical shops vary a lot in quality.

What other web sites have you used that deliver quality products to Thailand?

So I've told you invadeIT, Zenni. Hows about barneysfarm.com or royalqueenseeds.com. They've delivered quality for me.

17 minutes ago, geisha said:

I’ll never forget my first long stay in a new Thai house/bungalow on Phuket. (1984) It was your typical Thai, painted white and clean, no kitchen as such. Looked ok !! But !!! THe day I moved in, arrives the “ electrician” and proceeded to add on the electric lights in every room, spoiling completely the new plaster work ! I’d only visited a few days before in the daytime and hadn’t noticed there was no lights, I’d been so happy to find a new clean place . Happy days tho. 

Another complainer.  This thread is about finding quality in Thailand, and quality in accommodations is certainly a valid topic.  If you have any thoughts about finding quality accommodation, I hope you'll post again.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

barneysfarm.com or royalqueenseeds.com. They've delivered quality for me.

I looked at those sites.  You neglected to mention they are both selling cannabis/marijuana products.  I simply don't know about the legality of that in Thailand or the suitability for ThaiVisa.

1 minute ago, RLAretired said:

I looked at those sites.  You neglected to mention they are both selling cannabis/marijuana products.  I simply don't know about the legality of that in Thailand or the suitability for ThaiVisa.

Really, I though they sold tomato plants.

12 minutes ago, RLAretired said:

Yes, yes, we all know that -- all seller do not deliver to Thailand.

I'm willing to believe you, but it is difficult.  I've been ordering from iHerb for about 6 years.  I order 2-3-4 times a month.  Every single package in all that time has been delivered to me.

So, besides complaining, if you have any useful ideas for getting good quality products delivered in Thailand, I hope you will post about that.

Congratulations for this volume of successful deliveries from iHerb... you are in a hurry with your listing? Sorry, if I have tested your patience...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Why not consolidate and just order ONCE a month, save on the postage.

Oh sorry I forgot, you fly first class so money is no object.

The topic of this thread is finding quality in Thailand, not saving pennies on postage.

A post inquiring about prostitution has been removed as per the following forum rule:

17) You will not discuss the specifics of prostitution. Though Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgement of that fact is not forbidden, ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

This is getting boring from RLA (retired). Somebody close it please.

You are not obligated to continue in the topic if it is no longer of interest to you.  Move along until you find another topic that might be of interest to you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

In our "high end" condo there are 4 condos per floor (small building), 50% of these have simply 180 degree inverted/mirrored electricy switches depending on which site of the building you are - but obviously doors always hang on the same side. 

You have to open a door, go around the door and switch on the light, it was so annoying we changed condos within the building. It's just hilarious .... the small things that make you facepalm all day.

My high end condo had a chain at the front door...when i found out that the chain could be unlocked from outside by just putting a hand around the door i showed it to the owner....he said it didn't matter that the chain was too long because nobody knew or would expect it.

8 hours ago, RLAretired said:

Other ideas for finding quality products here?

Yes ...

Restaurants: 
=> I don't eat much Western food in Thailand, and I'm seldom disappointed with restaurants serving Asian food.

Regarding Western food, I noticed the combination of cheap dish prices + expensive small beer bottles often indicates poor quality.

Furniture:

=> IKEA is certainly a good price/quality deal. I bought my office furniture at Index, they carry a good selection of high-quality products.

Another thing worth exploring is to have it custom-made. I designed my bed, it was only slightly more expensive than a shop-bought quality bed and it's got:

- 4 large drawers under the bed for stowing space

- full length shelves at the bed head

- power plugs on both sides

I was really stumped that this kind of design isn't sold in shops.

Appliances: 

=> in my opinion, the worst one can do in Thailand regarding appliances is to buy "midrange". Either I buy dirt cheap, fully counting on replacing the thing after a short time, or I buy high quality.

Electronics: 

For electronics, Chinese international brands (meaning with sales efforts in europe or USA) are often a good choice.

Sources: 

I am happy ordering from Lazada.

The crappy quality of some products is not their fault, it's the seller's.

Choose your products wisely and then order.

I always order with pay on delivery and open the package in front of the courier.

I have problems with finding high-quality workers... electricians, plumbers, etc.

• Like 2

Well, maybe only one sport: golf.  How do the golfers find quality gear?

Have you ever tried looking in a golf shop/sports store............

You can buy the same branded clubs here as in the west or wherever - it will normally just cost you a lot more as others have mentioned about a number of items.

Are you buying in Thailand, or bringing in from abroad?  If in Thailand, what stores, please

I think it's obvious I'm talking about Thailand purchases. As it's 15 years ago, my memory is a little hazy, but I think I bought mostly from Central Bangna. Anyway, these products are available in specialty stores as well as the big department stores.

11 hours ago, RLAretired said:

And in the same category, sports.  Well, maybe only one sport: golf.  How do the golfers find quality gear?

seriously?

there are many shops selling high quality golf gear in Thailand.

but not every item in my golf gear needs to be high quality.

number one: clubs. they need to be fitted, correct shafts chosen depending on swing speed, lie and length depending on stature...

so the best choice is a shop with a professional club fitter.

of course for the clubs and shafts themeselves, reputable brands are of course the best.

number two: comfortable shoes. there are good locally produced golf shoes, they sell for about 800 baht a pair over facebook, or you will also find people selling them for about 1200 baht from their car trunk in the car park on tournament days.

the rest doesn't need to be of high quality. bought a laser rangefinder for 700 baht 5 years ago, still going strong. At the same time I see adverts for rangefinder that cost 250 USD... why on earth...

Edited by tgw

13 hours ago, rumak said:

Steek to dee topic !  

verstehen  ?

Exactly.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

This thread and RLAretired have won the award for

Worst Thread Captain of the Decade.

Good Grief!

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, mjnaus said:

https://healthfoodthailand.com/en/

Used Good Karma (on the above link) numerous times for supplements, health foods, non-toxic detergents, etc. Always delivered excellent quality with delivery within a few days. Not exactly cheap, but excellent quality.

A good one for quality.  I've ordered from there 10-12 times.

I've ordered from there about 10-12 times.

Thank you, @mjnaus for suggesting here.

Edited by RLAretired

Valuable post.  Thank you @tgw for your ideas.

12 hours ago, tgw said:

Restaurants: I noticed the combination of cheap dish prices + expensive small beer bottles often indicates poor quality.

Useful clues for restaurants to avoid.

Appliances: => in my opinion, the worst one can do in Thailand regarding appliances is to buy "midrange". Either I buy dirt cheap, fully counting on replacing the thing after a short time, or I buy high quality.

Very useful strategy.  I do that, too, but didn't quite realize the method until @tgw explained.

I have problems with finding high-quality workers... electricians, plumbers, etc.

Ah, yes, the perpetual problem here.  So many threads about that on this forum already. 

On that point, a brief experience: I went to the USA consulate to renew my passport.  While there used the men's toilet.  Was amazed at the fit and finish: everything aligned, light switch positioned properly, no cracked tiles, perfectly clean, etc.  I've observed similar quality workmanship in 5-star hotels and also airline premium lounges.  So quality workmanship is available here, but the problem is how to find such workers for temporary, "handyman" jobs.  I don't have the answer.

Edited by RLAretired

31 minutes ago, RLAretired said:

Valuable post.  Thank you @tgw for your ideas.

Useful clues for restaurants to avoid.

Very useful strategy.  I do that, too, but didn't quite realize the method until @tgw explained.

Ah, yes, the perpetual problem here.  So many threads about that on this forum already. 

On that point, a brief experience: I went to the USA consulate to renew my passport.  While there used the men's toilet.  Was amazed at the fit and finish: everything aligned, light switch positioned properly, no cracked tiles, perfectly clean, etc.  I've observed similar quality workmanship in 5-star hotels and also airline premium lounges.  So quality workmanship is available here, but the problem is how to find such workers for temporary, "handyman" jobs.  I don't have the answer.

likely they brought in contractors from the usa when the consolate was built

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

look for UGreen shop on Lazada.

I agree. I have bought alot of good products on Lazada. I usually cross reference them with reviews on Amazon. Good source for product reviews. I recently bought a nice pair of speakers for my computer. Edifier. Sounds great. About 5,000 baht. Checked out the reviews elsewhere, then bought on Lazada.

I also carry back alot of stuff from the US. Wanted to pair of really good surround speakers for my home stereo. Picked out a pair of PSB (Canadian speakers). Here they were 35,000 baht for the pair. Found a pair of barely used ones for $100 on ebay, and carried them back in my luggage. Same with a Pioneer Elite Blu Ray player. Here it was nearly 30,000 baht. Found one on ebay, for $125. Like new. Carried it back. Do the same with really good tequila, watches, phones, goat cheese, clothing, shoes, and all of my supplements. 

• Like 2